Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What happens when we die?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

saabsaab wrote: »
    Sounds great. Where can you get this stuff?

You can't. It only releases when our time is up 🀪

• Registered Users Posts: 16,266 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I don't think we can write off all the stories of supernatural goings on down through the centuries and say with certainty that there is nothing after we die.

There was an interesting thread on Reddit about this asking people who had been declared technically 'dead' for a brief period of time (drug overdoses, resuscitated during surgery etc). Experiences were varied, but consistencies among many. They included:

- Nothing. Just blackness. Like you woke up from being asleep. No memory of anything whilst 'dead'. Common response.
    - Moving towards a light or sense of 'good'/peaceful energy. Often accompanied by a voice saying "not your time yet". Common response.
    - A sense of existing purely as energy, becoming one with the 'universe'. A few said these experiences confirmed to them that we are all effectively 'one' with the universe.
    - Others said right before they 'came back', they were given the choice whether they wanted to or not.

We know how amazing and powerful the human mind is. This is clear through how vivid our dreams can be; creating worlds and scenarios that seem completely real. Therefor, some of the answers relating to anything but 'blackness' could just be the mind or consciousness technically still being active, temporarily, even though the heart has stopped. This may perhaps result in an experience similar to a dream.

A few other posters mentioned being near a river, or on a forest path. Creepiest response was a guy who's Father 'died' when younger. He apparently had been living a life of drugs, criminality etc. His Dad said he found himself in a dark basement type area being chased around by deformed characters. He went to hide in a corner, and as the screaming characters closed in, he found himself revived on the operating table. Turned his life around moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I don’t know what happens when we die and I’m usually 100% practical about it. However I’ve had 3 separate things that have happened in my life that makes me think in some way we do go on. I don’t ever talk about what happened because people would think I’m a bit funny but it does make the topic a little bit less black and white for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I only want an afterlife if my dog(s) will be there also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

touts wrote: »
    Sadly Nothing. You're gone.

thats not sad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

peasant wrote: »
    I only want an afterlife if my dog(s) will be there also.

Could give one pause for thought then again is GOD backwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well when you die, your Will or lack thereof will keep everyone talking about you!

To me death is like a great sleep that I don't wake up from. Who here has woken from a dead (sorry) slumber and worried about it? You just don't wake up anymore.

As long as the journey is pain free and distress free it is ok.

For the record I have seen my youngest sister die, and my mother and father and granny and grandad. All just, well died. It is part of life really, but can be very hard on those left behind, and I include myself in that.

I don’t know what happens when we die and I’m usually 100% practical about it. However I’ve had 3 separate things that have happened in my life that makes me think in some way we do go on. I don’t ever talk about what happened because people would think I’m a bit funny but it does make the topic a little bit less black and white for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Really I Just want a peaceful death.

Been with a few who have passed away, most, probably with meds were peaceful transitions.

But not all, I don’t want to go struggling and fighting every last breath, it’s not nice for the deceased and not nice for those trying to comfort them through their transition.

I’d like to go well tanked up on something that leaves me peaceful and am probably leaning towards assisted suicide in specific instances.

I don’t think about anything afterwards. If there’s not I won’t know as my consciousness will have ended. If there is - bonus.

Funny story about the possibility of an afterlife.

Uncle of my wife was a funny wee man, full of stories and lies and took a dram often of not too often. Once, near the end he said to my wife he was curious about if there was anything after. He promised that if there was and if there was any way possible he would come back and let us know.
    I’m time he passed away and was buried as normal. However, within a week he was back, briefly. Due to a mix up he was buried in the wrong grave and at 5am with one family member a guard, undertaker, gravediggers and council rep he was lifted, identified and then buried again. Maybe that counts as him “coming back” as a sign there is an afterlife. Coincidence is rarely coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A family member was asked to identify a decaying corpse in a coffin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

Ah will you stop it for heaven's sake
    lol

A family member was asked to identify a decaying corpse in a coffin?

Less than a week for someone who was embalmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

_Brian wrote: »
    Less than a week for someone who was embalmed.

I just didn't think they'd do that, that's nuts

I just didn't think they'd do that, that's nuts

Well it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The theory of your brain releasing its final flood of comforting hormones as life ends is credible and certainly would explain the common experiences of tunnels of light, feelings of peace and a sensation of floating above your body. Like a natural pain killer to ease the cessation of life.

But...it doesnt explain other aspects that thousands of people experience such as meeting people that they never met before, being able to see certain objects and recollect specific conversations between people when technically brain dead. Taking away conditioned religious upbringing theres enough variety there to convince me there may be something else beyond this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Username checks out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Like the famous Frédéric François Chopin, you decompose.

degsie wrote: »
    Like the famous Frédéric François Chopin, you decompose.

Unless you can come Bach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

saabsaab wrote: »
    Unless you can come Bach

Bach from the dead

The theory of your brain releasing its final flood of comforting hormones as life ends is credible and certainly would explain the common experiences of tunnels of light, feelings of peace and a sensation of floating above your body. Like a natural pain killer to ease the cessation of life.

But...it doesnt explain other aspects that thousands of people experience such as meeting people that they never met before, being able to see certain objects and recollect specific conversations between people when technically brain dead. Taking away conditioned religious upbringing theres enough variety there to convince me there may be something else beyond this world.

If one experiences DMT or magic mushrooms in high doses one can often meet entities, spirits etc and converse with them. The brain produces DMT apparently. Maybe a flood of brain chemicals can explain for the things you pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,322 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You're dead. The only ones who can give accurate details aren't here.

In a way it's better not to know. If you're religious, agnostic or atheist you can die on your own terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

There are two aspects for me. What happens to your consciousness and what happens to your body which houses and enables that consciousness to function. Clinical death is simply a failure of your body to facilitate the delicate balance required to sustain consciousness. You literally black out. Permanently. Your own personal consciousness ends as the mechanism i.e. your brain/body/senses can no longer perceive the physical world. The crude analogy is an electric circuit. Remove the battery and the current stops but the physical constituents of the mechanism remains. It just doesn't work or do any work anymore. The other aspect is what happens to your body. The hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, oxygen atoms and the molecules they coalesce into are still present after you die. If you get cremated then you will mostly be carbon. If you're buried then you chemically decompose in the earth itself.

This leads onto what happens to the earth itself and all of the atoms which make us and everything else up. Earth will ultimately get consumed when our star burns through it's fuel. Whatever forms of "life" on earth, be they physical or mechanical, will inevitably perish during that process. There is the hypotheses of the Big Crunch/Bounce which is one I would subscribe to. Ultimately all matter in the galaxies of the universe end up in the singularity of the supermassive black holes at their galactic centre via gravity. Over the course of trillions of years these billions of supermassive black holes will, again via gravity, slowly converge on themselves and collide. The Milky Way's black hole, and all of us, will participate. Ultimately we all end up with a hyper massive black hole containing all the matter of our universe. This black hole itself evaporates over the course of another trillion years or so until we're left with a primordial singularity with infinite density. As energy is a conserved quantity then all of the energy of the universe we knew is contained in that single point. This might lie dormant again for a few trillion years until a quantum fluctuation releases that energy into another universe. Whether this new universe has the proper conditions to allow it's particles to form into matter and ultimately into life will be down to probability. We're just part of that process, one which to us happened to work, and so we should be thankful, given the mind boggling scale of this process, to participate in it for even a short time.

Other current theories suggest that time itself is an illusion and that all that is is present.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Bach from the dead

The only Bach who could come back from the dead is JC Bach.

valoren wrote: »
    There are two aspects for me. What happens to your consciousness and what happens to your body which houses and enables that consciousness to function. Clinical death is simply a failure of your body to facilitate the delicate balance required to sustain consciousness. You literally black out. Permanently. Your own personal consciousness ends as the mechanism i.e. your brain/body/senses can no longer perceive the physical world. The crude analogy is an electric circuit. Remove the battery and the current stops but the physical constituents of the mechanism remains. It just doesn't work or do any work anymore. The other aspect is what happens to your body. The hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, oxygen atoms and the molecules they coalesce into are still present after you die. If you get cremated then you will mostly be carbon. If you're buried then you chemically decompose in the earth itself.

This leads onto what happens to the earth itself and all of the atoms which make us and everything else up. Earth will ultimately get consumed when our star burns through it's fuel. Whatever forms of "life" on earth, be they physical or mechanical, will inevitably perish during that process. There is the hypotheses of the Big Crunch/Bounce which is one I would subscribe to. Ultimately all matter in the galaxies of the universe end up in the singularity of the supermassive black holes at their galactic centre via gravity. Over the course of trillions of years these billions of supermassive black holes will, again via gravity, slowly converge on themselves and collide. The Milky Way's black hole, and all of us, will participate. Ultimately we all end up with a hyper massive black hole containing all the matter of our universe. This black hole itself evaporates over the course of another trillion years or so until we're left with a primordial singularity with infinite density. As energy is a conserved quantity then all of the energy of the universe we knew is contained in that single point. This might lie dormant again for a few trillion years until a quantum fluctuation releases that energy into another universe. Whether this new universe has the proper conditions to allow it's particles to form into matter and ultimately into life will be down to probability. We're just part of that process, one which to us happened to work, and so we should be thankful, given the mind boggling scale of this process, to participate in it for even a short time.

Well? see below that questions current thinking.

https://opensciences.org/gary-schwartz

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

It's just like drifting off for a restful, dreamless night's sleep.......

Except you never wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

The mind doesn't wake up after you die but consciousness survives.It never dies as it was never born,just always was and is constantly changing.

There are three states we are subjected to here.
    Awake state.Consciousness is in the body and mind.
    Dreaming state.Consciousness withdraws from the body to the mind alone.
    Dreamless sleep.Consciousness withdraws from the body and the mind but is still aware..we wake up and start our new day.When we die consciousness leaves and forgets the body and mind forever and moves to that dreamless sleep state,but it then becomes aware of its full spectrum without the constant nagging of the mind.
    When we die is when we really wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I'm not convinced of an afterlife and veer towards that will be it, but I did fall off a bike when I was young and crashed into a wall(at speed) and saw myself floating overhead, a strange experience that stuck with me so I still wonder, but it could have just been a concussion or something

Advertisement