Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish who are more famous/acclaimed abroad than here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭piplip87

Dave King. Lead singer of Flogging Molly. Massive in the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Omackeral wrote: »
    Bray's own Fergal Devitt is a huge star in the USA,UK and Japan. He's better known as WWE wrestler Finn Balor and formerly as Prince Devitt. A good looking, talented, popular and humble chap and in great nick too.

tenor.gif?itemid=9470313

tenor.gif?itemid=9576956

Rebecca Quin aka Becky Lynch would probably fit in this category as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Thank you! I read The Dark years ago and could not remember the name of the author or get any returns on googling it either. Phenomenal book for a little over a fiver on Kindle, for anyone interested - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-John-McGahern/dp/0571225675/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521993161&sr=8-1&keywords=the+dark+mcgahern

(Amazon.com synopsis, the Amazon.co.uk one is very sparse)
    The Dark, widely acclaimed, yet infamously banned, is John McGahern’s sensitive, perceptive, and beautifully written portrayal of a young man’s coming-of-age in rural Ireland. Imaginative and introverted, the boy is successful in school, but bitterly confused by the guilt-inducing questions he endures from the priests who should be his venerated guides. His relationship with his bullying, bigoted, widowed father is similarly conflicted — touched with both deep love and carefully suppressed hatred. When he must leave home to further his education, their relationship is drawn to an emotional climax that teaches both father and son some of the most intricate truths about manhood.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Erica Jennings - Singer from Dublin, hugely popular in Lithuania (represented Lithuania at the Eurovision in 2001.
    Also her sister owns a lovely restaurant in Vilnius called Bistro 18, which is regularly voted into the top 3 restaurants in Vilnius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Leprechauns. Irish Americans made them what they are today. That's why they're always dressed like 19th C bumpkins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Jimeoin.

He's massive in Australia, yet relatively unknown here.

They can keep him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Fionnuala Sherry, Irish violinist and vocalist. She makes up half of the duo Secret Garden, which won the Eurovision Song Contest 1995 with the predominantly instrumental piece "Nocturne" for Norway.

https://youtu.be/6qqOI04uo_c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

The latter isn’t true at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Tommy Smyth - sports commentator.

I fcuking despise him.

• Advertisement

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    She presented a number of shows abroad. .One I remember was ''The Swan'' . .I also think she did America's top model.. Her name is Amanda Brunker and she was more popular in the states.

*Arrested Development voiceover* "It isn't"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

piplip87 wrote: »

See post #49

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Music producer, billionaire* and famously booted out of boyzone just before they hit the big time, Mark Walton. Oh yeah, his ex pleaded guilty to murdering an au pair in London. Nothing to do with Walton.

* self proclaimed billionaire

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/191984/music-mogul-mark-walton-i-got-the-boot-from-boyzone-now-im-a-billionaire/amp/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Glen Hansard.
    Way way bigger deal in the US and Europe and Asia than he is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

John Field , the composer, there is a john Field room In the national concert Hall but most people never heard of him... possibly speaks of the cultural wasteland we live in in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

''Father Ted'' and 'Mrs Brown's boys. . both more popular in the UK than Ireland.

''Father Ted'' has a cult like following.

I had a look at Jedward's following on twitter. . They are not popular anywhere it would appear. .Only got 60+ fans on twitter.

I never expected to see Father Ted mentioned here. Don't agree with that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

''Father Ted'' and 'Mrs Brown's boys. . both more popular in the UK than Ireland.
    Because both were created by companies in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Saoirse Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

david75 wrote: »
    Glen Hansard.
    Way way bigger deal in the US and Europe and Asia than he is here.

Really? I’m a fan and I know he had huge success with once but didn’t know he was big for his solo work

Saoirse Ronan

Are you just throwing out random Irish things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Lucky Charms , they are massive in the states but hardly known here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Darren Shan, horror writer from Limerick. Massive international sales, esp in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

greencap wrote: »
    Ed Byrne (comedian) seems to be more famous in the UK than here.

Thank you Dara O’Briain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

piplip87 wrote: »

Saw them a few years ago, and they were absolutely dreadful. However, fair play, Dave King loves to play up the Oirishness and it works, they're very successful. 'In 1980's Dublin, you only had two choices, emigrate or join the IRA. I did both.'

Really? I’m a fan and I know he had huge success with once but didn’t know he was big for his solo work

(Weirdly} Played a stadium in South Korea with the swell seain after the Oscar thing. Same in Japan.
    Has played radio city music hall a number of times, Hollywood bowl almost regularly and Carnegie Hall(which you have to be invited to play) . Consistently sold out. Then supports Eddie Vedder in his solo tours. Don’t have the stats but sells way more tickets and album sales overseas then here in Ireland. Lives on tour and doesn’t need Ireland whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

david75 wrote: »
    (Weirdly} Played a stadium in South Korea with the swell seain after the Oscar thing. Same in Japan.
    Has played radio city music hall a number of times, Hollywood bowl almost regularly and Carnegie Hall(which you have to be invited to play) . Consistently sold out. Then supports Eddie Vedder in his solo tours. Don’t have the stats but sells way more tickets and album sales overseas then here in Ireland. Lives on tour and doesn’t need Ireland whatsoever

Fair play to him I’m glad his talent is recognised. A lot of ppl here seem to dismiss him when his name is mentioned.

Fair play to him I’m glad his talent is recognised. A lot of ppl here seem to dismiss him when his name is mentioned.

That just how it goes. Generally speaking the cliche about us is true. We’re a very fair people. We haven’t good word to say about anyone especially our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Ambrosio O'Higgins
    Robert Ross
    William Brown

Daniel Florence O'Leary too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

The Kelly family were massive in Germany and Poland and other places, not sure if the whole family were Irish citizens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Birneybau wrote: »
    Are you just throwing out random Irish things?

No am posting with the thread title in mind :p

Advertisement