Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Day restaurant?

• 12-10-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi All,
    does anyone know of a nice place that is open on christmas day for lunches. We have a party of 9 adults and 2 kids, I've tried the Galway Bay Hotel but they are full if your not staying with them. Would like somewhere with good food and nice atmosphere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

No Place unless you are staying in a hotel serves food on Christmas day. A few of the 24hr petrol stations will be open but thats about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved from Food & Drink

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No Place unless you are staying in a hotel serves food on Christmas day. A few of the 24hr petrol stations will be open but thats about it.

Rubbish.

The Raddison's website says they do three sittings on Christmas day, and explicity says residents and non-residents alike. No prices quoted though ... expect to pay heaps, they do list prices for Christmas Eve and Steven's Day with lunch at E25.

Never done it myself, so don't know what other options there are, or what they're like.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Radison Hotel
    Harbour Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Rubbish.

The Raddison's website says they do three sittings on Christmas day, and explicity says residents and non-residents alike. No prices quoted though ... expect to pay heaps, they do list prices for Christmas Eve and Steven's Day with lunch at E25.

Never done it myself, so don't know what other options there are, or what they're like.

Never been to the Harbour, was at the Raddison a number of years back, we went to join guests and paid ourselves. Wouldn't be mad on doing it again, a bit 'factory line' Christmas Lunch/Dinner, and they seemed to be understaffed/missing things. If you pay a heap for a special event, you are less forgiving about missing cutlery, crackers etc. That being said, there are only a couple of options in the City, I think in fact, the Harbour wasn't available when I was looking.
    My experience was a few years ago, so it may have changed. I also have a vague memory of a charity dinner that is put on for Christmas day, and out the country a bit. It sounded lovely but I had no transport that day. Don't know if it is annual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Ardilaun?

Park House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ardilaun?

Park House?

Not a few of years ago anyway, except for residents. We rang a load of places. They may do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 velvet68

inisboffin wrote: »
    Ardilaun?

Park House?

Not a few of years ago anyway, except for residents. We rang a load of places. They may do now.

Park house are closed, so is ardilaun. The Radisson is charging 80 p/a and 40 for a child and it's self service buffet.... The harbour is 5 course 69 p/a and 35 for a child. Is there any restaurants open that day I wonder.....

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

velvet68 wrote: »
    inisboffin wrote: »
    Ardilaun?

Park House?

Park house are closed, so is ardilaun. The Radisson is charging 80 p/a and 40 for a child and it's self service buffet.... The harbour is 5 course 69 p/a and 35 for a child. Is there any restaurants open that day I wonder.....
    No chance on the restaurants opening,Galway is not big enough and the tradition is to stay at home.
    Why don't you ring one of the catering crowds to see if they could do you some food and drop it around Christmas eve,you'll only have to set the table then.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You will probably have to ring every place you can think of.
    Perhaps closer to Christmas there'll be some adverts in the papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 velvet68

Sappa wrote: »
    No chance on the restaurants opening,Galway is not big enough and the tradition is to stay at home.
    Why don't you ring one of the catering crowds to see if they could do you some food and drop it around Christmas eve,you'll only have to set the table then.

Its not the cooking I just thought it would be great for a change for everyone to relax and enjoy their day without someone having to fuss over a big dinner and the clearing up and trying to fit everyone in. Maybe in another few years and the times change some business may take the initiative. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Went to the radisson with family once a few years back, like someone else said, self service buffet, but it was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,421 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The problem for the restaurants would be finding/paying staff to work on Christmas Day. They want to be at home with their own families.

Why not buy a cooked stuffed turkey and ham and prepare the vegetables yourself. You can also buy the meat and veggies ready prepared in most good butchers if you order in plenty of time and only have to cook them yourself. The benefit of that is that you can have dinner in your own time and have plenty left over for sandwiches etc later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

marks and spencers - get your christmas food booklet, tick the items you want, and collect before Christmas. No prep - just stick in the oven and you have a christmas dinner with all the work cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭primrose_lily

I was just wondering does anyone have any recommendations for Christmas Day dinner around the city??
    My family were thinking of not bothering with the whole fuss of cooking a turkey and all the trimmings this year.
    Instead we all want a stress free - enjoyable day.

So does anyone know what hotels might be open on Christmas Day for some good food?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 darahiggins

lazy bastards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭primrose_lily

lazy bastards :)

haha well, would you like to cook a big turkey and all the trimmings for just 3 people.... and one awkward fecker (me) has to be a vegetarian so I wont be eating half of it anyway! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

I think that most places close, aside from hotels and I think you may need to book in to eat there. I'd ring up a few places and see if they're open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Arciphel

If staff are only being paid time and a third, how come the hotels are charging between €69 and €80 per adult for a self service buffet? Looks like a nice earner for the hotel then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement