Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turkish Barbers in Dublin?

Options
  • 27-07-2008 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Does anyone know if there are any Turkish barbers in Dublin? When on holidays in Turkey, I went for a 'haircut'. But to call what I got a mere haircut would do the barber a disservice. It included a vigorous scalp, neck and shoulder massage, a steaming hot towel on the face, rubbing in of several different oils and lotions and even burning - yes burning - off of all the downy fluff on the face and ears. I came out of there looking and feeling 10 years younger. In fact, I went back for a second 'haircut' in the same week! If there was a barber like that in Dublin I'd go regularly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The barbers in Regent Street, Temple Bar have a Turkish guy working there. He's good. Prices are reasonable too. He offers the traditional Turkish services you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 LibraMan

boneless wrote: »
    The barbers in Regent Street, Temple Bar have a Turkish guy working there. He's good. Prices are reasonable too. He offers the traditional Turkish services you require.
    Thanks boneless - I'm on my way! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

There's one on Aungier Street.

Just passed it on my way back to work but didn't have time to note the services etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

sounds interesting, wonder what the cost is. I'm not fond of spending too much on a haircut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I went into the local barbers last week for a hair cut that happens to be Turkish run. I was seriously taken a back by the quality of the hair cut I got.

Those guys really put a lot of effort into a €10 hair cut, they put the more expensive places to shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 LibraMan

Where was that KTRIC?

I agree that the Turks could teach the native crowd a thing or two about service. That was something I found in general in Turkey. In my experience, businesses there treat their customer like royalty: not like the 'what the f**k do you want' school of customer service that we accept as the norm in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

KTRIC wrote: »
    I went into the local barbers last week for a hair cut that happens to be Turkish run. I was seriously taken a back by the quality of the hair cut I got.

Those guys really put a lot of effort into a €10 hair cut, they put the more expensive places to shame.

Got one in Galway when I was down for the races, In was in Oranmore in a stone building, top quality service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

LibraMan wrote: »
    Where was that KTRIC?

I agree that the Turks could teach the native crowd a thing or two about service. That was something I found in general in Turkey. In my experience, businesses there treat their customer like royalty: not like the 'what the f**k do you want' school of customer service that we accept as the norm in Ireland.

In Munich, sorry :D

There's a lot of Turks here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kevin-ken

hi, I am a Barber in Uk, for som reason I have to move in Dublin. I am working now in this shope. <SNIP> I do hot towel shave, thrading, haire Cut, and you know some moor,
    I am looking for a job In Dublin as a Hairdreser or Barber, If ther is any one to give me a job in doblin I will move over,
    I am from austria and I can speak thurkish, German, English, persian.
    so if you intrested I like to know how is life in Dublin, thanks
    thanks

Mod Edit: I realise that this is your first post but I'm afraid Kevin we cannot permit personal advertising. Other posters could PM you for details instead. Thanks. WA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 manon

LibraMan wrote: »
    Where was that KTRIC?

maybe because of rivalry, competition high in Turkey, services are really cheap and stuff is warm to the customers.
    there is Turkish saying meaning something like that: "the customers are our patrons "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Surely the Waldorf on Westmoreland St is the place to go.
    I've only been there a couple of times but got hair cut with head and neck massage and hot towel shave. Excellent.
    I think it may be the oldest Barbers in Dublin, if not Ireland, and has a real 40's art deco charm to it. Really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

Surely the Waldorf on Westmoreland St is the place to go.
    I've only been there a couple of times but got hair cut with head and neck massage and hot towel shave. Excellent.
    I think it may be the oldest Barbers in Dublin, if not Ireland, and has a real 40's art deco charm to it. Really cool.

i went here with my father class place. what a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Theres one on Marlborough Steet off O'Connell St and Parnell St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Little place on Camden street does a really great service. Across the road from Green 19 cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

There's one on Liffey St, iirc.

Never been to a Turkish barber. What are prices like; I'd consider going to one after reading this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Top end of Clanbrassil Street (New Delhi :D) has Turkish, Indian etc. hairdressers. In fact that area is known generally for its quality hairdressers.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Ye that sounds good now I want one. Ok so I've gone through this thread and I still don't see a place that stands out.
    Does anyone know where this turkish barber service is definitely offered and for how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jimmay wrote: »
    Ye that sounds good now I want one. Ok so I've gone through this thread and I still don't see a place that stands out.
    Does anyone know where this turkish barber service is definitely offered and for how much?
    There was a profile done of a Turkish barbers on Aungier Street just now on the business show on RTE Radio One. I think his name was "Ali".

There was a profile done of a Turkish barbers on Aungier Street just now on the business show on RTE Radio One. I think his name was "Ali".

Ye thats right. I went in here last week. Unfortunately it was only one guy your man Ali there and he said it would be about an hour wait which I didn't have. Nice guy, gave me his card and I'm sure I'll be back to try it some day. I think he said about €12 for a cut and €4 for massage. I ended up getting ripped off at grafton barbers in jervis st :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Ewww, you sick fu...oh, Barber?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Anybody know if they would shave off a full beard?

Been growing one for about 3 months now....

Keeping my face warm at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Jimmy (or Cemil in Turkish!) in the Red & Black in the Epicurean Food Hall Abbey Street is a great barber, does the whole turkish steam shave.

Got a nice hair-cut in Alis barbers there on Aungier St. last week. Good value €12 for a cut and they do a nice job. Ali spent time yapping to see what style might suit me and I got something slightly different than my norm and quite impressed. Would definitely pop in again if I'm in the area.

Advertisement