Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushcraft Club thread

• 16-06-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

ok, i am restarting the thread from here as i intend to put pictures up, and that previous thread is already eight pages long, and waving all over the place regards topic. so fresh start.

Donal (crapbag) is an unusual type who actually does what he says he does. he has gotten the bushcraft club up and running, all above board, insured through the MCI and with land usage permissions from Coilte and everything!! so, all talk, all action. well done Donal.

as stated previously on the other thread, we had our first official CLub outing this weekend (14th-15th june) it was only myself and Donal on this one as Coilte confermation came late and other people couldn't reorginise their weekends to suit. Luke from survival.ie came out and chatted with us. he had some cool info on foraging, but only stayed a few hours. thanks Luke.

fires were started with good old flint and steel.
    tim001.jpg
    tim002.jpg

fire was mainly to keep the bugs at bay, but also helped out with my tea addiction. without tea, its only survival. with tea, its bushcraft. :)
    tea002.jpg
    tea001.jpg

it rained a little bit, so we opted to have dinner at my place.
    dinner-time001.jpg

the wood. a bit piny.
    forest001.jpg

a fire is nice in the evening
    tim003.jpg
    donal002.jpg

we harvested birch, thistles, burdock root, new pine leaves (are they called leaves?) and nettles. the nettles were made into cordage, which is quite strong. the core of the stalks or thistle taste like celery. the burdock root is like a fibrous turnip. the new-groth pine leaves have a lemony taste.
    the birch bark will be rendered into birch tar glue. amazing stuff. some will also go into our tinder bags. the birch wood itself will be used for carving and tool making. its an amazing wood, but in short supply in crone valley.

here you can see the birch wood, the roles of bark, the cordage made from nettles, and my flint and steel.
    our-work001.jpg

Donal with the birch branch
    donal003.jpg

the rest of the pics are viewable on my photobucket account here, and there is also stuff over on my trip blog here

does the above look like your idea of fun? if so, join up. dont think your knowledge is up to the task? dont worry. you will learn as you go along.
    dont think you are fit or hard enough? we dont have a "grr manly" attitude to suffering either, so dont worry bout it.

Tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

Thanks for the complements Tim but I cant take all the credit. Some of the board members and the member support officer from the MCI had a big hand in making this happen. I hope that people will get a better feel for what the club wants to achieve by posting here. That way people can tell whether or not the club is for them. We are hoping to attract like minded people to the club with a genuine interest in bushcraft and wish to learn more. The best way to do this is to come to a club meet and find out for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rivermom

:rolleyes:
    well, if I can do it, anyone can. I am middle aged, and disabled. And I will certainly be at the next weekend down in Gort. My skills are a bit rusty, but my memory is good, and I am really looking forward to reconnecting to something I used to really enjoy; messing around in the woods.
    Thanks for the invite, son.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Glad this is coming together for you guys. I might even drop along to the next one. Irishlostboy: Where did you get the overhead tarp? I could do with one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

cheers phil. would be cool if you came out on the next trip.
    the tarp i am currently using is the current issue brit army tarp. it is designed to double as a 2 man field stretcher as well. if it is strong enough to lug two squaddies, it is strong enough for me :) lol. i got it off a company called kitmonster in england. i got two of them at the time, as well as my lowe alpine saracen pack. cost a bit, but great kit.
    on the inside it has extra tie spaces, so i hang lights and anything i may need to get my hands on from the inside of the ridge. i dont use a ridgline, i just tie with two short pieces of paracord to the trees. the tarp is well strong enough for this. most wouldn't be.

one of the great things about meeting up like this is trying out different types of kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Looks amazing. Where and when is the next meeting taking place? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Looks good.

I scanned out your photobucket and saw the bow and arrow which looks amazing. Some great insights into the irish bushcraft club. When will you be back in Crone wood and will crone wood be one of the bases?

Good fire technique.

we will probably be out this weekend; all going well. location, somewhere in wicklow. maybe crone valley. i am sure Donal will send out a mail to everyone on the mailing list as and when we know. if anyone has any preferences of any where/when for a trip, throw out the suggestions.
    Donal and myself will be meeting during next week to discuss the way forward for the club. anyone any concerns or interests, thoughts etc on what they want from the bushcraft club, in the near future, throw them up here so we can bash them about.

re; my bow. ya, i just got that a week ago. i REALLY like it. am looking into joining up with an archery club in dub to get some practice in.

re; fire lighting. there are sooo many methods to lighting fires, and there is always more to learn. its what makes it so fun. flint and steel is nice and old school, but still reliable. the key is the tinder. charcloth is wonderful stuff.

ok, long time-no update. sorry bout that. but things are going well. Donal is back from his trip away, and is already getting on with creating a club site.
    the Gort trip this weekend is pretty jammers. we will have a great mix of skills there from total novice to veteran. We have the pleasure of two Bushcraft instructors coming with us this weekend, Anthonio Akkermans of www.wild-live.org and Aebhric O'Kelly of www.ipna.ie. if you were intending to make it on this trip give me an email to confirm.
    meet details look like this.
    Meet at the Foxhunter pub on the N4 for 12:00 on Friday 18th
    or alternatively if you are making your own way down
    Meet in Aldi in Gort at 16:00 on Friday 18th
    we will convoy from there, or anyone arriving late can call for directions from there. need my number? PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Makes interesting reading, good luck to you all with the new club. Looking forward to hearing about the weekend in Gort.

We had a very successful trip down to Cahersiveen to the IPNA. Aebhric, Anna and Greg were very hospitable and welcomed us with open arms. I personally didnt want to miss a thing so I took the trip after work and 6.30 on Friday just to get down there. Aebhric was good enough to stay up for my arrival. The other two were already set up and by the fire. I ended up setting up in the dark getting eaten my miggies but I guess thats all part of it.

On Saturday morning we decided to help Aebhric set up so of the school area by assisting in putting up the tarp. We felt it only right since he was kind enough to invite us down.

Tarp1.jpg

Myself and Ciara had a good chat about the club and its direction. Ciara is a previous member of staff of the MCI and was great with advice and direction.

DiscussionTime.jpg

We also got to see Anna's fantastic Composting toilet, which we dubbed 'The Thrown' given how well put together it was. It almost felt wrong crapping in it.

Greg was a master of the bow drill and was getting embers with barely any effort. He was happy impart his knowledge and experience with us. His quite manner and silence through the forrest was that of a true woodsman.

Bowdrill.jpg

We did some interesting exercises on sense awareness and movement in the wild. Aebhric and Greg wanted us to tune into the forest and all the sense by which we feel. Indeed it was a very good experience and one which should be practiced by everyone. An emergency fire lighting exercise was great fun and Setenta proved himself as the fire master. We covered some basics of basket making with Anna and some basic plant knowledge. Aebhric, Anna and Greg were all very kind with their knowledge and very interested in what we were doing. The camp fire chats were a great place for exchanging knowledge and ideas.

Campfire.jpg

On Sunday morning we covered tracking with Greg and Aebhric. One of my favourite bushcraft activities I was delighted just to get onto the beach and track birds, dogs and other everyday animals. Its amazing what a few tracks can tell you.

Tracking.jpg

When it came time to leave, I honestly didnt want to go. It felt like we had covered alot in a small space of time. I am very grateful to Aebhric, Anna and Greg and wish them luck with their new school. They are very open minded and honest people. We hope to work with them again soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

I second that. Thanks again to Aebhric, Anna and Greg. Great hosts and teachers. Best of luck with the school.

I hope Anna wont mind me posting a picture of ''The Throne''. As Crapbag says its a true ''Grand Design'' and a shame to have to use it.

P1000714.jpg

P1000691.jpg
    A view from my ''sit spot''

P1000696.jpg

My neighbours at my ''sit spot''

P1000672.jpg

Our camp bird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Just wanted to say well done to you guys for getting this up and running.

Often people talk about good ideas on internet forums, but you guys have actually went and set up the club, arranged meets... walked the walk, so to speak - just wanted to say well done for this, it's great to see.

It does look like fun too - hopefully I'll have a chance to wander along to a future meeting.

Hi Guys,

Just thought id update the thread on how our last meeting went. Last weekend (Sept 20th/21st) we headed down again to Cahersiveen to the IPNA for Aerbhics open weekend. He invited the club members again and some locals to see what he was about in his new school. The school is really taking shape and his courses have already kicked off. This weekend we discussed survival and the four essentials of surviving and some of the rules applied to them

AebhricNettles.jpg
    We discussed food in its many forms and how to get it. Aebhric showed us his favorite plants for both eating and medicinal purposes.

P9210089.jpg
    We were also thought how to make a short term 'Father and Son bow' for hunting at short distance

donalsbed.jpg
    I had the pleasure of sleeping in a debris hut for the night. It was very comfortable, above its in the early stages of building

embercarving.jpg
    We discussed emergencies fires and how to utilise some of the elements of the fire to make tools. Here we are hollowing out wood using embers

Again my sincere thanks to Aebhric and Anna for a fantastic weekend. The hospitality, generosity and honesty makes you feel right at home every visit. I again look forward to going down to Kerry and despite the long haul from Dublin, its worth it.

We plan to have a few of us to go to Wild Live in the North early next month. Anthonio is having a gathering and some of us are hoping to go up there to learn some things. Also it is nice to meet new people who may be interested in the club. For details check out his site www.wild-live.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

And are you tent/bivi/hammock ?

I'm planning on going up after work Friday.

Loz

I might bring both depending on space in the car. Ill be heading up after college on friday

We're just back from the weekend in Castleward, Co. Down. Anthonio had a bushcraft gathering for two days where people could come and discuss bushcraft and also practice some skills. I first went to Anthonios course in 2003 for Primitive living 1, so being back in his yurt brought back memories

PA040096.jpg

The weekend was mostly a meet and greet with people form different ends of the country. Some people knew Anthonio through previous courses and others found out through the Web. There was an interesting bunch down there and the conversation constant in out of the rain on Saturday

PA040097.jpg

As a group exercise, Anthonio challenged us to try and make a giant sized bow drill set. It was a good experience and made us think about the basic principles of the set. It was also a good ice breaker

PA040105.jpg

Here myself and Liam discuss the rhythm and how best to start

PA040100.jpg

Unfortunately all we got from the set was alot of smoke but had a good laugh in the effort. On the Saturday evening, Anthonio proposed we do a sweat lodge. It was an interesting experience running half naked in the forest, in the rain to the lodge. Only four of us braved it and we all had a good laugh. In the sweat lodge itself, it was a world onto itself and I think everyone should try it at least once

PA050116.jpg

We got to see some of the crafts made by Anthonio and take a look around the fabulous estate of Castleward. Many thanks to Anthonio for the weekend, it was good to meet up and work with him again

looks like fun was had. shame i missed it. i really need to get out more.

Heard about the giant bowdrill over on bcuk. Looks like a great weekend. Weather looked a bit iffy though. Cold in the hammocks I'd say.....

We were sensible and took the tent. No sign of Loz though, wonder what happened. It was a good weekend. It was good to meet people practicing in different areas.

Loz posted over on bcuk that he would not be able to make it. Something must have come up.

We should try and get out again before christmas though. I am up the walls with work for the next while but I would be on for a wkd away if something was happening.

• Advertisement

looks like fun was had. shame i missed it. i really need to get out more.

Dont worry Tim ill be dragging you out soon again :-) My course is now back in full swing so I havent had a days rest since the start of September but myself and Sean have some projects lined up. We have a trapping test lined up for his farm. Robert gave us some good ideas for tanning hides so thats our next experiment. Im currently assembling different bow drill sets to test woods. Its hard to get time but there is currently wood and tools all over my apartment floor

Crapbag wrote: »
    Its hard to get time but there is currently wood and tools all over my apartment floor

i am the same. bits of wood everywhere. i have a bit of ceder i am using for a baseboard for drill seems good. have some good willow for the drill. need better cord than paracord though.
    i will be building a frame for a deerhide soon. my sister and her boyfriend are back, so they will surely be slaughtering the poor countryside soon enough. so skins galore.
    getting into doing a bit of airsoft at the mo. bit of fun. in forests, only shooting people. lol. should help keep me in trim for the winter.

will be setting up an archery range at my sisters place in sligo soon. they have the land. did a fair bit of archery in france.
    me-doing-archery001.jpg
    bow was only 20 lbs draw though. good cos i could shoot it all day, but not meaty enough.

for the laugh i made my own arrow. leaves for the fletching. worked fine actually.
    homemade-arrow001.jpg

some other pics of france
    woodland-pano002-1.jpg
    woodland-pano001-1.jpg
    lizard001.jpg
    bearseat002.jpg

ya, cannot wait to get out for a weekend again. i think the weekend of the 17th-19th is out for me, but good apart from that i think. thinking of doing a walk in sligo. my usual bushcraft one. want to do it before winter sets in and the route becomes impassable.

Generally id use a 28 lbs bow in work. Does the job. Nice work on the fletches there. Our father son bow wasnt quite as effective.

On a recent sailing trip to Collanmore Island I was asked to introduce some bushcraft skills to people doing a sailing course. So I set a basic scenario for them to work with. I told them that they had just had swam from a sinking vessel to the island. They were wet and cold and only 10 minutes to light a fire to prevent hypothermia. They had only 10 dry matches and whatever they had on them at the time. The aim of the exercise was to get people thinking and have fun,rather then trying to teach them a specific lesson.

People gathered all kinds of materials to burn.

PA190217.jpg

Out of all the groups of people who tried to light their fires. Only one group managed to get it going with lots of persistance and a lighter which one of them had.

PA190221.jpg

Other groups didnt have as much luck

PA190218.jpg

The great thing about an exercise like this is that you dont have to be an expert to organise it. I gave the group a scenario, they tried to complete a task and they learned the lessons for themselves. Most important of all, they had a bit of fun trying it!

nice work there with that group. self direction and creative freedom is great to give a group if they can handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Ah mad! I just came on here to tell everyone about these two lads who I did a couple of hours of bushcraft with at the weekend on Glenans, and wouldn't ya know they're already here. I recognise two of you in the first photos.

Must say, even though we only got to (try to) build fire and find shelter, it was a great experience and really gave me a taste for it. I'd do it every weekend if there was a club here in Galway.

Thanks lads, yer great!

No problem. It was just a bit of fun for the weekend. It was great to get out with you guys to sail. Im having some back trouble at the moment so I didnt get to chat to everyone and had to disappear early on both nights but still had a good laugh.

As for the club in Galway. This isnt specifically a Dublin or a regional thing. We are hoping to have people from all over get involved. So far ive been in Wicklow, Kerry, Galway and Down this year doing bushcraft stuff. When we are up and running properly, im hoping to we can support people in different areas in the country who wish to practice bushcraft. Right now we are small scale but in time I think we can get more people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Anywhere I get more info about the bushcraft club, can anyone join? How often are there trips? Thanks.

www.irishbushcraftclub.org is the clubs website. At the moment the club is still getting itself a formal joining process, so check the website for updates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Survival.ie is now banned from http://www.boards.ie/ permanently.

Advertisement