Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this practical??

• 10-01-2018 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

I’m starting new employment based just off Stephens Green Dublin. I have just had my eyes opened to the rental market in Dublin as a result.

From the South East so I’m looking to rent south side of the city. I have an option in Shankill which seems good in every way. Only thing I need light shed on is the daily commute in and out. Working day is 9 to 5.30 so peak commuter times.

Is it practical to rent in Shankill and commute in and out on the Luas from Cherrywood. I don’t mind cost as I am saving that from renting out that far. Really what I want to know is travel times in and out. I would be aiming to be at the Stephens Green stop for 8.40am.

Other option is the 145 bus I think. Again I would be looking for travel times to arrive at Stephens Green at 8.40.

If anyone could offer opinion on this it would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm not familiar with that plan. Another option may be Dart from Shankill to Pearse or Tara st?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dart would be best.

Stay well clear of luas or 145 as it takes so long from them places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Would you be driving to luas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

Dart would be best. Stay well clear of luas or 145 as it takes so long from them places.
    Luas takes 40 minutes to St Stephens Green. Dart to Pearse takes 36 minutes and leaves you with a walk at the other end. I wouldn't call Dart particularly fast. It depends on which the OP will live closer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Blackstairs Mountain Man

I would most likely have to drive to the Luas which presents the problem of parking. I’m viewing the place tomorrow evening so intended scoping out parking near the Luas etc then. I’m sure there is a possibility a bus may pass the house which could drop me near the Luas also.. again I have to look into this tomorrow night.

From checking it out online the travel time for the Luas is scheduled at 40mins .. would this be accurate enough give it take a few mins??

The Dart I had not really looked at yet as I presumed the Luas would be more cost effective and it does drop me within five mins walk of my place of work.

I must look into the Dart a little more. Would the general consensus be to only consider the bus as a last resort?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

I would most likely have to drive to the Luas which presents the problem of parking. I’m viewing the place tomorrow evening so intended scoping out parking near the Luas etc then. I’m sure there is a possibility a bus may pass the house which could drop me near the Luas also.. again I have to look into this tomorrow night.

From checking it out online the travel time for the Luas is scheduled at 40mins .. would this be accurate enough give it take a few mins??

The Dart I had not really looked at yet as I presumed the Luas would be more cost effective and it does drop me within five mins walk of my place of work.

I must look into the Dart a little more. Would the general consensus be to only consider the bus as a last resort?

The DART, on average takes 35 minutes from Shankill station to Pearse station. Then about 15 minutes to walk to Stephens Green, probably less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You should also be able to get a Dublin Bike at Pearse to get to SSG, that'll cut down the walking time at that end. Or, if the house is far enough away from the Shankill DART station, you could get a folding bike that would get you to the station, take with you on the train and then use on the other end to get to SSG.

Regardless of all that, you've got plenty of rapid options to get you into the city, so it's a really well supported commute and I wouldn't be concerned about it at all. It's a pretty enviable commute actually, given some of the awful ones that exist in other parts of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The 145 isin't a bad bus it's one of the more frequent buses on the network and runs along N11 QBC which would save time over sitting in traffic if taking the Luas as you would have to drive to either Sandyford or Carrickmines as the nearest stops Brides Glen and Cherrywood do not have P+R facilities.

The Dart is probably the best option maybe consider a fold up bike if the DART is too far to walk and for going between Pearse and Stephens Green or if you do decide to use the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The DART, 145 or the 84x it’s an express one that skips half the stops.

ted1 wrote: »

Doesn't serve Shankill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

From Shankill, your options are short walk to Dart - 35 mins travel - longer walk Pearse to SSG, or long walk to Brides Glen - 45 mins ish travel - short walk from Luas to destination on SSG.

I’d discount the bus, as especially in the morning you’d be catching kids going to school too, which can slow things down.

From my location in Shankill the aggregate walks would favour the Dart.

As others have said though, driving part way or folding bike/Dublin bike may give you other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Doesn't serve Shankill

IIRC the nearest stop for 84X is Loughlinstown Hospital (it comes off the M11 at Loughlinstown) which puts you most of the way to the Luas anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Its pay and display around Luas in CWD so take that on board and its a fair trek if you walk from Shankill (depending where you are in Shankill)
    Personally I find the Bus is a disaster. it stops at almost every stop on the n11 so id avoid it. it takes an hour or so because of all the stops.
    Go for the dart but its not 35 mins, despite what the website says, maybe closer to 40.

Stephen15 wrote: »

Doesn't serve Shankill
    Neither does the LUAS, but it serves loughlinstown hospital/roundabout which is very close to Shankill.

With the DART done if the ones on the way out only go as far as Dun Laoghaire which is a real pain. So they are not as frequent as you think

With the DART done if the ones on the way out only go as far as Dun Laoghaire which is a real pain. So they are not as frequent as you think

There is a Dart after the two DL Darts that goes 5 mins after the DL only DART so it's not a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Southbound darts from town serving Shankill are every 15 minutes approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Cycling is also an option particularly if your employer does the btw scheme. It's approximately 15km so approximately 50 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Cycling is also an option particularly if your employer does the btw scheme. It's approximately 15km so approximately 50 minutes.

This is a good suggestion. Both Ted1 and myself do longer cycle commutes from that side of the city and there are a few route options. You will get good advice on the cycling forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The OP really needs to put exact addresses into www.a-b.ie to check all the options - Shankhill is a big place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Blackstairs Mountain Man

Thanks for all the info has been very helpful ..

I was up last night checking things out and I think the Dart is the best option.. the accommodation is 10 mins walk from the Dart station and if I get off Pearce street I’ll be in easy walking distance if Kildare street where work is based.

Thanks for the help much appreciated. If anybody has anything else to add I’ll take it on board!!

Advertisement