Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RootsIreland vs findmypast's Ireland Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms

• 04-01-2018 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

What is the difference between these two ways of searching for Catholic parish records (particularly as the latter is free and the former isn't)?

p.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

There are a few areas where the coverage differs - the first is by date RootsIreland covers some later dates, many of the NLI films cut-off around 1880. The second is locations - RootsIreland doesn't cover some areas - e.g. South West Cork, only a few parishes in Wexford, no coverage in Kerry, limited coverage in Co. Dubln, just 1 parish in Dublin city etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

If I was searching for a record in a parish covered by both sites I'd start with FMP - I prefer the search which permits wildcards, and also allows selection of several parishes in one search so you can check adjacent parishes in one step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Rootsireland has come along a lot to be fair to it and it also includes a lot of Church of Ireland and some presbyterian records (and some lovely Armagh Prerogative Court Marriage Licenses). I fear that sites like FMP contribute a little to religious myopia. I've found religion can be quite fluid in many cases.

That said, the standard of the transcriptions is diabolical in many parishes (right down to not even noting the parish or the denomination) and the absence of a wildcard search function is still a problem.

I'd echo Shane and add that there may still want to try Roots Ireland but FMP is certainly a friendlier place to start and there's loads of lovely stuff up there too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I use both these days but start with FMP because I don't have to do as many searches - rootsireland has only plus/minus 10 years.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement