Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaming resolutions, general 2018. What's yours?

Options
  • 21-12-2017 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

So next year I'm gonna try and stick to some resolutions. I've developed some awful habits over the last few years for buying full price games and never playing them. Still in their wrapping. The backlog is real.
    But in 2018, I'm gonna try and get things in order.

First resolution is, no more buying games, new or second hand, at all. No new systems either. These games will always be available to pick up in the future.

Second, do a list of what I have, physical and digital, pick a system, then pick a game to play, give it a few hours and see if it grabs me, if not, get rid of it, sell it on.

Save money....

Steam.... Well, that will prob be for 2019.

But any tips on tackling a big catalogue of games? It can be very overwhelming to start, but easy to add to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Mine is to finished my arcade 100%.

Ill try to ad a pin and one more cab too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Mine is to finished my arcade 100%.

Ill try to ad a pin and one more cab too

You just gave me a brain wave, and a goal. With money I save from not buying new games, I'll try and build a full tabletop arcade cab with a raspberry pi. Have a spare pi around somewhere I think. They can be expensive, last time I looked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1024 x 768

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Complete battletoads on the NES.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Buy a cab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I was expecting a bunch of "4k ya pleb" posts

Mine is to divulge from endless games or replaying old faithfuls like Dark Ssouls or Xcom, I'd like to sort out another hundred or so games from the steam backlog.

I want to give my N64 a proper run too, too many unplayed games sitting by it

Build the the atari replica cabinet I have all the bits for.
    Build the mini pacman replica I have all the parts for.
    Sell one pin.
    Restore the one in my spare room.
    Buy a better eprom programmer.
    Win the pinball league.

Get a kill in pubg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm hoping to play more Outrun 2006, while I have it on the PSP and PS2, I don't have it on the Xbox and that version also works on the 360 via BC, so it'll look all spangly fresh on the plasma.

Probably going to try and pick up a Turbo Duo at some point, also finish out the Nintendo handheld collection with a 3DS:XL and a N3DS:XL.

Pick up the Rockman carts for the Famicom and GB.

Going to pick up a Pocketstation maybe.

Finally install my 2player control panel on my cab.

I can see the PS3 finally graduating to the gamesroom in the sky/attic, and with the 42" plasma there now it'll be just fine.

And trust me on the Outrun 2006, that game is simply amazing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm going to finally sit down and beat the Megaman Legends games and also Tactics Ogre: Let us cling together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    1024 x 768

256×192 will do for me.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Build the the atari replica cabinet I have all the bits for.
    Sell one pin.
    Restore the one in my spare room.
    Buy a better eprom programmer.
    Win the pinball league.

Get a kill in pubg

I'll ****ing bury you this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'll ****ing bury you this year!

Just make sure to bury him with his money...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

is that a pacman cabaret or a mini version of the standard cabinet ?

BGOllie wrote: »
    is that a pacman cabaret or a mini version of the standard cabinet ?

I mini version of the standard cabinet.

Have a new in box 13" Wells gardener to go into it!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sell 80 percent of the crap I have, leaving the good stuff only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Well I got Bayonetta today and I guess learn how to play that? I really do not get Platinum Games even though I know they're meant to be awesome. Can't get my head around the play mechanics. Not having ever gotten around to playing the Devil May Cry or other 3d beat em ups probably doesn't help me.

Bit of a dull ambition perhaps but I'd like to get better at CSGO next year rank up a bit. I've been playing a ton of it in the last few months after not playing CS since 2001 or so and I'm really enjoying learning how to play it properly this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Stoner wrote: »
    Sell 80 percent of the crap I have, leaving the good stuff only

I done the same thing over the summer, right up until a few weeks ago. I hadn't realised, I'd transitioned from being a collector, into a hoarder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Finish a "Souls" game.

Get shed plastered since it's insulated now so I can finally organise some things, shelves, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

accensi0n wrote: »
    Complete battletoads on the NES.

Game received, let the battle commence!

IMAG1246.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Well, I'm keeping to my resolution so far, it's only the 12th Jan but still!

Haven't bought one game at all.

But I did get my SNES commendium book from that Kickstarter in the post today, paid for it, in the summer I think? It's pretty damn amazing.

Started a few games on the Switch this week too, so getting through them, see which ones I'd like to finish.
    Set up my 8bitdo famicom arcade stick with a new MAME image for the Pi, all working and trilled with that too.

Already save a few bob, gonna stick with this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Battletoads isn't the worst except for that bloody airbike dodging bit. I've always been terrible at those type of things. Minecart levels in platformers are my kriptonite.

Turbo tunnel isn't bad with practice. It's the bit where you are trying to outrun the circle thing is near impossible on a modern TV due to the lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Mega cd... Now that im married I might finally add this to the list.. If she says so

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

The same as last year , buy practically nothing retro and amaze myself at the amount of retro/arcade stuff I have collected and just enjoy that .

Advertisement