Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

McCambridge Bread

• 01-05-2009 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

hi bakers, wondering if you could help me i am looking for a recipe for bread similiar to "John McCambridge irish stone-ground wholewheat bread" the one you can get in supermarkets. :):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

this should be similiar

Ingredients
    • 4 oz = 125 g plain flour
    • 1 heaped teaspoon breadsoda
    • 1 level teaspoon salt
    • 12 oz = 350 g whole wheat flour
    • 2 oz = 30 g bran
    • 1 level teaspoon caster (*) sugar (optional)
    • 1 oz = 25 g margarine
    • 1 carton natural yoghurt (size 5.5 oz = 150 g)
    • 1 egg
    • fresh milk see method
    • Oven Temperature: preheat to gas mark 7 = 425°F = 220°C
    • Oven shelf = third from top
    • Tin size: a deep 7 to 7.5 inch = 18 to 19 cm round cake tin
    . Method
    1. Lightly grease the tin with melted margarine and dust out with whole wheat flour.
    2. Sieve the plain flour, breadsoda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
    3. Add the whole wheat meal, bran and sugar (if using). Mix thoroughly, lifting the fingers high, allowing the mixed flour and bran to fall back into the bowl through the fingers. Rub in the margarine and repeat.
    4. Beat the yoghurt and egg together and add enough milk to make the mixture up to almost 3/4 pint = 425 ml.
    5. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour in the yoghurt mixture and mix quickly with a fork.
    6. Turn the dough out on to a table or board already dusted with flour and knead lightly.
    7. Place the dough into the prepared tin, smooth the surface and cut a deep cross on top. Brush the top with a little beaten egg or milk, and dust with whole wheat flour.
    8. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
    9. Turn out of the tin and tap the base of the bread; it should sound hollow,

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭heathcliff

hi rocknchef tks for recipe, will give it a go tomorrow i am missing yogurt, if you ever want fab recipes for shortbread, cookies etc let me know. i will let report on how i get on.:):):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

heathcliff wrote: »
    hi i am missing yogurt

use some buttetmilk instead, if you have some

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭heathcliff

rocknchef, i have just got around to doing bread today i was busy baking for moroccan themed party at weekend and the verdict is the bread is fab i used buttermilk instead and though i thought i had all of the other ingredients i was missing bran too so i put in wheatgrem instead and the result is that i wouln't be buying bread anymore which is good in this economy:):D tks again

Advertisement