Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minister for Health Simon Harris and family trapped in home by protesters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Pissartist wrote: »
    i find your signature offensive.

Take it up with either of the users quoted, I am a mere conduit :D

For context, the Hope Solo remark was in reference to The Fappening of 2014, whilst the YouTube comment section remark was in reference to the live chat section on a Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz press conference :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Take it up with either of the users quoted, I am a mere conduit :D

For context, the Hope Solo remark was in reference to The Fappening of 2014, whilst the YouTube comment section remark was in reference to the live chat section on a Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz press conference :pac:

It's your slagging of the weakest part of society that i find cheap, childish and crass.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

I can't believe he has a child

What’s non believable about it? It’s non complicated.

mzungu wrote: »
    He's human, he messed up.
    Not only did he take his eye of the runaway spending, he knew the Hospital was hundreds of millions of euro over budget, and misled the Dáil on the matter.

If it were a few hundred euros *under* budget, you can be sure he'd have been telling everyone. We've now gotten into a situation where it may be too late to change course, and the Budget looks likely to run even further out of control, to the detriment of healthcare outcomes in other areas.

This was a monumental cock-up, people have been fired for less. The way some people are going on, a stranger to this story would think he just ordered a few too many boxes of printer cartridges.

The idea that someone can mismanage a budget by hundreds of millions a of public money, and retain their job, is frankly depressing.

We've seen similar crazy overspending with Metrolink, the Port Tunnel, and the road network. It's as if people have been so badly served by a small number if ministers, that we no longer expect any accountability.

It's your slagging of the weakest part of society that i find cheap, childish and crass.

I find this characterisation of Hope Solo appallingly unwarranted. She may be a goalkeeper, but she's one of the best in the world dammit.

• Advertisement

Not only did he take his eye of the runaway spending, he knew the Hospital was hundreds of millions of euro over budget, and misled the Dáil on the matter.

It's very similar to the Frances FitzGerald debacle of Winter 2017 - the actual overspend, while an extremely serious matter, is in my view actually less serious than the matter of intentionally lying to the Oireachtas. That should be an immediately fireable offence - either he knew about it and chose to lie, or he was ignorant of matters he should have made it his business to keep a personal eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If it were a few hundred euros *under* budget, you can be sure he'd have been telling everyone. We've now gotten into a situation where it may be too late to change course, and the Budget looks likely to run even further out of control, to the detriment of healthcare outcomes in other areas.

This was a monumental cock-up, people have been fired for less. The way some people are going on, a stranger to this story would think he just ordered a few too many boxes of printer cartridges.

The idea that someone can mismanage a budget by hundreds of millions a of public money, and retain their job, is frankly depressing.

We've seen similar crazy overspending with Metrolink, the Port Tunnel, and the road network. It's as if people have been so badly served by a small number if ministers, that we no longer expect any accountability.
    All fair enough, but why take the post to his house. His wife and child have nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Anyone know the background of the people behind this group?

Giving themselves names like "Battalion" and "Flying Column" suggests Republican leanings. I noticed Dissos seem to have jumped on the rural anti-eviction bandwagon. Is this the same story here?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Tiguan Joe

Terrible carry on.

All fair enough, but why take the post to his house. His wife and child have nothing to do with it.
    I agree that that was both counter-productive and unnecessary, but it was a Dad's Army 'batallion' of eleven idiots on a Sunday afternoon in Greystones. People are going way over-the-top in a clamour of shock and outrage, one person even invoked the brutal murder of Jo Cox MP, asking 'where will it all end?!' My Christ.

My point isn't that this tiny protest was justified, but that it doesn't amount to a hill of beans. It's absurd to see it as the main headline on the front page of today's Indo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

CrankyHaus wrote: »

Giving themselves names like "Battalion" and "Flying Column" suggests Republican leanings. I noticed Dissos seem to have jumped on the rural anti-eviction bandwagon. Is this the same story here?

Yep. They released a statement with words such as free state and blue shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm all for protesting, but this is just wrong; it should be outside the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Republican leanings.. We live in the Republic of Ireland, I'd be surprised if they were monarchists.

Also this association of Republicanism as evil and labelling people 'Shinner' has to stop. It is legitimate to be a Republican and law abiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

branie2 wrote: »
    I'm all for protesting, but this is just wrong; it should be outside the Dail.

I still haven't seen any pictures or videos of this. In this day and age where everyone has a phone if this did actually happen I'm sure there would have been evidence.

If it did happen these people are scum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

canonball5 wrote: »

I still haven't seen any pictures or videos of this. In this day and age where everyone has a phone if this did actually happen I'm sure there would have been evidence.

What there is pics all over the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

the actual overspend, while an extremely serious matter, is in my view actually less serious than the matter of intentionally lying to the Oireachtas. That should be an immediately fireable offence

Nah, as long as you come in these days, correct it and say you "misspoke", you're grand.

Simon will do it this week, pretend to say sorry, but not really.

We'll go back to incompetence being a perfectly acceptable level of job performance at Ministerial Level.

That reminds me how is the National Broadband Plan coming along, it was 7 years old last week, still out for tender?

Meanwhile

I hear we are getting 4G on the Moon.

The Moon Will Get Its Own Mobile Phone Network in 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

canonball5 wrote: »

https://www.facebook.com/FINGALBATTALION
    If it did happen?!?! :rolleyes:

You must not have looked too hard....there are pictures and videos on their own facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I agree that that was both counter-productive and unnecessary, but it was a Dad's Army 'batallion' of eleven idiots on a Sunday afternoon in Greystones. People are going way over-the-top in a clamour of shock and outrage, one person even invoked the brutal murder of Jo Cox MP, asking 'where will it all end?!' My Christ.

TBF that level of hyperbolic nonsense is not exclusive to internet forums.

TD Noel Coonan likens water protesters to ISIS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think the protesters were very wrong and also very foolish. They gave Harris the sympathy vote at a time when he is an absolute disgrace.

I feel sorry for his wife but I think she needs to decide if their baby is to be part of his electioneering, Politicians are courting votes at all times and the picture of his wife and newborn that he circulated on social media was just that. He could have made the happy announcement just as well by displaying tiny baby feet or some such generic picture. If he is going to put them out there, the harsh realities of life are that others will have a go at them and imo they deserve more protection from him than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Marengo wrote: »
    Republican leanings.. We live in the Republic of Ireland, I'd be surprised if they were monarchists.

Also this association of Republicanism as evil and labelling people 'Shinner' has to stop. It is legitimate to be a Republican and law abiding.

I agree, in fact not only is Republicanism perfectly legitimate it is the basis of our nation.

However unless you've been living under a rock for the last 100 years you must be aware that the label "republican" has been appropriated by people who go a little further than merely being opposed to monarchy.

As such it is a useful shorthand to describe groups who refuse to recognise the Republic of Ireland as a legitimate state, referring to it as "The Free State" instead, and who take that jumping off point to justify criminal racketeering, fuel smuggling, profiting from the drugs trade, murder and intimidation. All for "the cause" of course, though whether that's the cause of Ireland or their own bank balance is hard to tell. Many of them are also opposed to the GFA, which was voted for by an overwhelming majority North and South, and are referred to as dissidents. From the language of this group it seems reasonable to suspect some connection, don't you agree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah these protesters weren't up to much and shouldn't be going to his home but it does appear they were a very harmless bunch.
    It bears no resemblance to the Joan Burton ordeal. Anybody likening them is being way ott.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think the protesters were very wrong and also very foolish. They gave Harris the sympathy vote at a time when he is an absolute disgrace.

I feel sorry for his wife but I think she needs to decide if their baby is to be part of his electioneering, Politicians are courting votes at all times and the picture of his wife and newborn that he circulated on social media was just that. He could have made the happy announcement just as well by displaying tiny baby feet or some such generic picture. If he is going to put them out there, the harsh realities of life are that others will have a go at them and imo they deserve more protection from him than that.
    Do you think they if he hadn't posted that photo it would've deterred yesterday's protesters?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭Epic Eir Epic

Omackeral wrote: »
    Some headline. Anti-austerity protesters have gathered outside the home of Minister for Health Simon Harris this afternoon.
    According to Independent.ie the Harris, his wife and their young baby were in their Wicklow home when up to 20 protestors arrived outside this morning.

His spokesperson said in a statement that they are all currently still inside the house and that the situation is ongoing.

"Minister, his wife and three-week-old daughter remain inside while they await the arrival of the gardaí."

Gardaí have reportedly been in contact and are on their way to the minister's Wicklow home.

The protests come following Harris being under intense public scrutiny in recent weeks.

Story
    A three year old daughter can definitely come in handy when looking for sympathy. Meanwhile, €1 billion gets flushed down the toilet, no different from the Irish water consultants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Do you think they if he hadn't posted that photo it would've deterred yesterday's protesters?

See I wouldn't go outside his house but I couldn't possibly figure what would be going on in the mind of others.

But for me they are two separate things and I don't like either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

A three year old daughter can definitely come in handy when looking for sympathy. Meanwhile, €1 billion gets flushed down the toilet, no different from the Irish water consultants.

His daughter is three weeks old and not three years.

He just looks like he hasnt slept for three years, good enough for him with all his lick arsing during the abortion referendum, he could do no wrong in the medias eyes and he started to believe the hype. He took his eye off the rest of the job completely and now we have the toxic mess that is the National Childrens Hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

tretorn wrote: »
    His daughter is three weeks old and not three years.

He just looks like he hasnt slept for three years, good enough for him with all his lick arsing during the abortion referendum, he could do no wrong in the medias eyes and he started to believe the hype. He took his eye off the rest of the job completely and now we have the toxic mess that is the National Childrens Hospital.

The children’s hospital has been a mess for 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Acosta

Mrsmum wrote: »

They're absolute morons for doing it. They gave Harris, the government and their lapdogs in the media a break they most definitely do not deserve.

I can't find it now, but there was a headline in the spindo online this morning about the protest and the article started with stuff about nurses.

It was below the belt stuff, stupid and lacked class but lets not go OTT here. There was about 12 of them. A new low in politics it was not. In a country so bent and were state agencies and bodies connected to the state have caused so much suffering both in the past and present and are allowed to carry on like nothing has happened, politicians should thank their lucky stars that the majority of people in Ireland act like their in some sort of warped permanent state of sedation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Vote of no confidence being tabled against Harris but the 'Siege of Wicklow' where the minister was trapped fearing for his life and that of his family against a mob of 11 middle aged, wild eyed crazies should play in his favour.
    Back to my first comment here ..That's convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

I agree, in fact not only is Republicanism perfectly legitimate it is the basis of our nation.

However unless you've been living under a rock for the last 100 years you must be aware that the label "republican" has been appropriated by people who go a little further than merely being opposed to monarchy.

As such it is a useful shorthand to describe groups who refuse to recognise the Republic of Ireland as a legitimate state, referring to it as "The Free State" instead, and who take that jumping off point to justify criminal racketeering, fuel smuggling, profiting from the drugs trade, murder and intimidation. All for "the cause" of course, though whether that's the cause of Ireland or their own bank balance is hard to tell. Many of them are also opposed to the GFA, which was voted for by an overwhelming majority North and South, and are referred to as dissidents. From the language of this group it seems reasonable to suspect some connection, don't you agree?

Well i for one am claim it back under Tone's definition, Russell's definition etc. It's a bit like the tricolour. People like you only continue these wrong asumptions and leave 'Republicanism' to the gumman.

I'm a proud constitutional Irish Republican who abides by the law.

• Advertisement

Building project overruns are always interesting. The media always frames them as waste, but to be honest the only waste really is the inflation.

If the hospital has been correctly priced initially it would be coming in at a similar price to this. If we are unhappy with the now final price, would we have been happier accepting a lesser hospital?

Advertisement