Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

remote control transmitter to open security gate

• 21-09-2010 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi

Im not sure what forum to put this on so mods feel free to move this.

I want to know can you buy a replacement key fob thats used to open security gates in my apartment complex. The land lord only gave us one fob but we have two spaces so if I could get a second one and programe it i'd be delighted.

Can this be done? Where can i buy one?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ask the management company as it will have a specific frequency

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Hi

I want to know can you buy a replacement key fob thats used to open security gates in my apartment complex. The land lord only gave us one fob but we have two spaces so if I could get a second one and programe it i'd be delighted.

Give your landlord a call,he can get in touch with the managment agency as they provide those keys. Some places charge a lot for them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Hi

yes it can - there should be a series of switches in the one you have - you will just have to match them to the new one you buy - you can get them here They are about 50 or 60 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

Thanks guys

So all I have to do is buy one that can be programmed to the same frequency as the one we already have?
    The block has only 5 apartments so we deal with the owner if theres any problems and he told us he hasnt any fobs left to hand out since a few never came back to him. I took that to mean "if you really want one it'll cost you cause I've none left and I have to order tham"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Last place I lived used fobs that had rolling codes*, ie it wasn't the same code every time, there was an algorithm to generate the next one. So you may be tied to getting the same make/model from your landlord or management crowd.

*Of course, the manual access was 5-4-3-2-1 or something, which kinda defeated the security benefit of having fancy remotes:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

the older type have the switches the modern electronic type is just hold the two buttons down on the new one until the red light flashes and pair it with the new one, the instructions will talk you through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

can the newer type of fobs copy the frequency of the older switch fob types? If they can then id just buy a newer type so id know it would work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

It's best to look at the receiver to try to identify the make/model of the system. The replacements you buy can be fixed to a certain low frequency code that is adjusted by switches on the inside. Or it can be a rolling code as mentioned above. Some management companies charge a fortune for a key fob, but if you buy one that is a rolling code you will need to have it registered (paired) with the door system, so they'll get you that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gary6md

u need to speak to the landlord as he will have to speak to the management company in order to get a new fob u can buy the fobs but they wont work without the security company programming it to the system what wud be the point of a security system if just anyone could add these fobs to gain access

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The block has only 5 apartments so we deal with the owner if theres any problems and he told us he hasnt any fobs left to hand out since a few never came back to him. I took that to mean "if you really want one it'll cost you cause I've none left and I have to order tham"
    You're paying rent for an apartment with two parking spaces, right? As I see it this isn't your problem, have your landlord get you one FOC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement