Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

those who comment on journal.ie

• 30-05-2016 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

why are they so bitter and bitchy about even the most positive of stories? its like they make a dedicated effort to find fault in anything and anyone. are they just ''trolls''? they must love their red arrows.

now, its not all of them, and boards isn't perfect either, but jesus, they take cynicism to another level.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The online equivalent of the pub that serves the people who are barred from all the other pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Journal comments are what it looks like when you hit the bottom of the barrel that is youtube commentators, and continue digging.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The bandwidth you used to post this thread could have been used for precious hospital beds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Belle Scruffy Rite

Often, I will read the title of an article and then skip the article itself to read the comments. It's like standing outside the local chipper at 2am on a Saturday munching away on your chips and watching the local hicks bate the head off each other :pac:

Peregrine wrote: »
    The bandwidth you used to post this thread could have been used for precious hospital beds.

You monster, de homeless could've been housed in the fiber optic cables.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Or to count the red thumbs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Probably made up of people previously banned from Boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

eviltwin wrote: »
    Probably made up of people previously banned from Boards

And who have been bitching about boards being moderated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

It's aimed at a certain demographic.

Always anti government stories.

Never bash sf.

RayM wrote: »
    The online equivalent of the pub that serves the people who are barred from all the other pubs.

I may have to steal that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Left wing types. They hate it when anything goes well.

It's a 'news' site for Facebookers. I cringe when I read the comments, but I admit, I enjoy doing so.

That being said it's on a par with the IT, the Indo, etc, for inanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Belle Scruffy Rite

I love the way they will let every auld bollíx spout away on stories about people getting murdered or dying in car accidents, but if there's a chance that a dodgy comment could land them in trouble with libel, they close the comments. I complained to them on a number of occasions about the drivel they allow under their equally drivel articles and I was told by them that no other online news site premoderates comments :rolleyes: Ffs, even the bottom feeder rag that is the Daily Fail premoderate their comments :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭rameire

Shame on you.

Banksters

we pay for it 14 times already.

DOB ate my dog.

and so on and so forth

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Lets be honest here. Boards.ie posters can't complain about Thejournal.ie posters. This site gets a lot of flak from other sites too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well the Journo is doing something right if we are here commenting on the comments!

Probably the best part of the site anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

And who have been bitching about boards being moderated.
    This site is too heavly moderated though in fairness. I know you should always respect others and such but i find this site too restrictive which is why i rarely come on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Some ridiculous posting on that site. "Wally Mooney" the cut & paste king comes to mind.

I used to really like the journal, but I quickly realised it's a steaming pile of ****e with horribly incompetent journalists for the most part, with god awful click bait article titles or seriously outdated tech articles... "did you know you can open multiple tabs when browsing the Internet!"

Jee-zuz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

RayM wrote: »

That makes boards barred from everywhere and drinking cans on the railway tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Wait, are we the Judean People's Front? Or the People's Front of Judea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I posted on the journal.ie about a week ago, they are mostly an intelligent crowd, given I got 150 thumbs up, 30 thumbs down. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Why is it that 'The Journal.ie' is the most referenced news site by radio broadcasters? It seems to me that presenters on Today FM, 2fm, Newstalk & RTE 1, are all quite happy to constantly mention & continually take their anecdotal news & celebrity fluff crap from there.

Deregos. wrote:
    Why is it that 'The Journal.ie' is the most referenced news site by radio broadcasters? It seems to me that presenters on Today FM, 2fm, Newstalk & RTE 1, are all quite happy to constantly mention & continually take their anecdotal news & celebrity fluff crap from there.

I've wondered that too. Matt Cooper has a slot every week where he has someone from 'The Journal.ie' in studio talking muck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭conorhal

Deregos. wrote: »

Because there is no 'journal'ism in this country, I've never seen a nation with such a lazy, consensus driven 5th estate that does little more then publish press releases and OP Ed peices because they can't actually be bothered wiht actual journalism.

As for the Journal's commentariat, what else would you expect from a site that that's a news aggregator which publishes endless clickbait articles? Half their articles are smug, and specifically designed to generate exactly the response they get, and of course, the clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

Social Justice Worriers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Damn you OP. I will lose the morning reading comments in the journal now....the need to be entertained wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The comments make thejournal. I think most people only get halfway through their awfully written articles and then jump to the comments, to be fair they do have one off good pieces like their fact checks and their oral histories but I'd rather read your average journal commentator than Aoife Barry any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Often, I will read the title of an article and then skip the article itself to read the comments. It's like standing outside the local chipper at 2am on a Saturday munching away on your chips and watching the local hicks bate the head off each other :pac:

The only thing missing is when one turns, sees you watching and roars "WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?"

The obvious answer being, a thick f*ck venting the deep seething rage that comes with being a useless boil on the arse of society. But I always tone it down a bit and just mutter "Nuthin!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The Journal is a cesspool. The quality of the journalism is far, far worse than the comment section though. Its basically trawl Twitter for "funny" tweets and then unleash them on the knuckledraggers.

• Advertisement

^^^

This!

Tweets make up so so many of their articles. It's alarming that it passes for journalism.

Advertisement