Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bad Weather.. Dublin needs to "man up".

• 06-01-2010 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

It started snowing in the North West of Ireland before Christmas Eve - since then we've had more snow, extremely treacherous roads with most secondary & backroads ungritted for over 2 weeks. Parts of Sligo were without mains water for several days. Our house had no water or heat for 3 days & we couldn't get out of the house due to the roads, or even get any supllies of water, food or fuel delivered for the same reason.

While the rest of the country has had it bad for over 2 weeks, Dublin has had a relatively easy time of it. Yet, the media have little to say about it. The first time I saw TV coverage of Sligo was on yesterday's news, when guess what? Yup - part of the Sligo to Dublin road was partially snowed over.

Then, today it snowed in Dublin. And all bloomin' day, all I've heard on the radio & TV - reports of "atrocious" weather & "horrific" conditions... and why? All because people spent an hour or two extra trying to get home.

Well, try living without water, try living without heat - or try living in a rural area where you are essentially cut off - then try combining all those 3 & then start complaining.

No-one is arguing that the weather isn't bad in the capital, or that the roads aren't bad, but Dublin, you seriously need to man up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

This sort of thing would never happen if we lived in space but nobody wants to put money into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Don't forget the fact that the LUAS still isn't working down here in Sligo either.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

Dublin needs to man up for a lot of reasons and get over itself!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Well, try living without water, try living without heat - or try living in a rural area where you are essentially cut off - then try combining all those 3 & then start complaining.

where do you live, mongolia?

Further proof that only Dublin matters :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

No-one is arguing that the weather isn't bad in the capital, or that the roads aren't bad, but Dublin, you seriously need to man up.

I read somewhere that Dublin doesn't play by the rules OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

It seems your internet is working fine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Further proof that only Dublin matters :P

Finally you all realise that it is only Dublin that matters;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Eh you do realise it's just the meejaa making all that stink right? Dubliners actually put up with this shít and get on with it just like the rest of the country. I usually get a nice handy bus ride home at the end of the day but today I had the novelity of a nice brisk 90 minute uphill walk in the cold on icy paths for a change. I just started walking and got on with it. So did everybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

JJ wrote: »
    It seems your internet is working fine though.

It seems that internet waves are less likely to freeze than water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

+1 OP.

Dublin gets a bit of lying snow and slush and Six-one news has a massive caption "THE BIG FREEZE"!!! There are people around the northwest who havent been able to leave their homes since before christmas, but now because Dublin has got a splutter of snow, the world will end. I know more people are affected when it happens in the capital, but looking at the news, if some people learned to drive in slippy conditions, the congestion wouldnt be as bad. Revving the crap out of the car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Your right. I'm going to man up right now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

While I was living in Zürich one year they had the worst snow in about 50 years, it was above my knee :eek: but they just get on with it. They only get about a week of snow a year and don't feel the need to shut up shop.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

deccurley wrote: »
    if some people learned to drive in slippy conditions, the congestion wouldnt be as bad. Revving the crap out of the car!

Yeah - I've seen that on the news.. cars in Dublin sliding up hills, around ungritted backroad bends around flat, gritted roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

The whole country needs to man up. You'd swear that we had the worst weather in the WORLD. All we need to do is look at other countries and how they cope with snow for 5 months of the year and be grateful we don't have it as bad as them

I think it may be our country cousins who need to man up. The Dubs get a bit of coverage on the news and ye all get crying we got no coverage, we had to get on with it. Those Dubs get all the sympathy. Poor Culchies;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

In fairness sligo probably doesn't have half the country living or working in it every day. Would anyone really notice if the north west fell into the Atlantic some day? Would probably be weeks before it got a 2 line snippet in the bottom corner of page 27 in the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I just cannot get over the lack of planning for snow. It's not a huge amount of snow. Sure, more then we're used to, but having SOME buses with tyres to tackle the ice would be beneficial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    The whole country needs to man up. You'd swear that we had the worst weather in the WORLD. All we need to do is look at other countries and how they cope with snow for 5 months of the year and be grateful we don't have it as bad as them
    Yeah, but they have provisions in place for it, which Ireland doesn't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

bonerm wrote: »
    Eh you do realise it's just the meejaa making all that stink right? Dubliners actually put up with this shít and get on with it just like the rest of the country. I usually get a nice handy bus ride home at the end of the day but today I had the novelity of a nice brisk 90 minute uphill walk in the cold on icy paths for a change. I just started walking and got on with it. So did everybody else.

You're right in fairness, tis always the meeja that gives the dubs a bad name whether its when dublin win a football match or get a bit of bad weather. Them and the lazy public servants in dublin bus :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

During all the flooding in the South and West there wasn't a single AH thread on it, afaik. Peoples houses under water, lives destroyed.
    Put some inches of snow on the ground and the Jackeens just can't shut up about it in AH.
    Sissies.
    Bohoo, my bus won't come. Try living in the country you emos.
    In the Galway county forum there is a thread on the pipes has frozen since weeks and there no water for days.
    Not a single complaint in AH.
    Bohoo, my BMW skidded today. It was awful.. Try not being able to actually drive for snow and slush up to the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I don't think it's a case of people from Dublin needing to man up. People have been in work all day long and are tired, and then finally get out of work at 5pm or 6pm, nobody likes being stuck on the M50 or any other road for another 2 or 3 hours. It's just annoying is all.

On an irrelative note, i've been joking with my friends about how the Government should call a state of Emergency and give the whole country the day off until the snow clears, because apparently a little bit of snow causes the country to close down.

clown bag wrote: »
    In fairness sligo probably doesn't have half the country living or working in it every day.

Neither does Dublin. In fairness.

Magnus wrote: »
    During all the flooding in the South and West there wasn't a single AH thread on it, afaik.
    Put some inches of snow on the ground and the Jackeens just can't shut up about it in AH.
    Sissies.
    Bohoo my bus won't come. Try living in the country...

But your in a City;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You culchies had your day last week, and now you are back whining!

If you want water, melt the snow

If you want heat, cut down the trees and burn them

If you want to get somewhere, get the tractor out

At least those of us who live in and around Dublin have got something real to complain about :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Dublin needs to man up? I think you need to wake up, to be honest and realise the media are irritating cliche orientated fcukers. Blanch to Ashtown took two hours, I didn't start a book on it did I? Nor did anyone else I know ring home to China to report on it, although the media might have mentioned it.

I am sick to the skin of people going on about our little pathetic 'cold snap' that our government is so desperately incapable of doing much, if anything about!

All I will say is having been to Poland over the Christmas, it really highlights the nation of bloody losers and drama queens we really are, not to mention completely and absolutely unprepared for anything REMOTELY serious or extreme. Believe me the snow was much heavier there for much longer. Didn't see anything grind to a halt and it was not even the capital, which of course would have been a priority :rolleyes:

If it's not too cold it's too warm. So while you write a book on your hard knock life, self pitty etc, start to realise that Dublin does not need anything but decent Government who can handle a mild snow storm and it's citizens are fully aware of this.

You're right in fairness, tis always the meeja that gives the dubs a bad name

I think they're well capable of doing that themselves, never mind the fact that most of the country's media is Dublin based (and Dublincentric).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Think the OP needs to man up and get over himself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Beasty wrote: »
    You culchies had your day last week, and now you are back whining!

If you want water, melt the snow

If you want heat, cut down the trees and burn them

If you want to get somewhere, get the tractor out

At least those of us who live in and around Dublin have got something real to complain about :P

This might shock and astound you, but not everyone living outside the greater Dublin area has a tractor parked outdside their gaff!!! Nor do we each own our own private land where we can simply chop down our trees for firewood.

Having a bit of snow on the ground shouldn't shut the city down! They get on with it in cities much larger and colder such as Toronto, New York, Chicago, Montreal, Oslo, Moscow etc. Although Dublin's infrastructure is shíte in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Maybe if ye bitter jealous moaning attention-seeking culchies didnt come up here clogging up our roads (aswell as stealing our wimmin and jobs), the traffic would have been grand and I would have been home in time for my coddle and Fair City.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement