Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solo holiday in the sun

• 01-05-2019 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey Guys.. this has probably been done before but I'm looking for travel recommendations for a female in her early 30's who just wants to chill out in the sun without getting hassle!
    All my friends are either married, have kids or can't afford to go away and I really don't want that to stop me from having a holiday. I love my own company and would be more than happy to chill by a pool in the sun with a good book and a long island iced tea.
    Trouble is, I went away last summer to a resort in Spain and was hassled at the bar every evening and had lads staring over making me uncomfortable during the day.
    I'd love somewhere with great weather, that's fairly cheap, that has things to do other than just a pool/beach but ultimatley is just a few days of doing nothing in the sun and being tipsy to drunk while doing it :)
    Anybody (particularly females) gone to a resort bythemselves?
    Any recommendations welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

I went to Tavira in Portugal 2 years ago.

Tho you will need to get a bus/taxi to the beach I would strongly recommend it.

Everything is very reasonable,flights, apartments, transport, food and drink

We flew to Faro and flights from knock,shannon and dublin were all very cheap

Weather is fantastic and the vibe there is very relaxed and much of the town is restored unlike alot of destinations.

Tho I cannot guarantee you wont be bother I did find most people were relaxed, chilled and just happy to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 30,147 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Buy some drink at Tesco and a bright bulb and lock yourself in the hot press!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Is this a common thing for women? Getting harassed on holidays I mean. Its something I would never have thought of.

#maleprivilege

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there is a place in Sweden now where there are no mens allowed.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Fincchheeyyyy

Is this a common thing for women? Getting harassed on holidays I mean. Its something I would never have thought of.

#maleprivilege

It's only ever happened to me once and that was last year in Spain but to be fair, I was lying by a pool drinking beers so the lads probably thought game ball!

I'd like somewhere where I can chat to people in the evening etc. but where I will also be left alone to do my own thing during the day. Maybe somewhere like Barcelona where there's a city and a beach. Maybe a resort is not the way to go. I just wish I had a travel buddy :(
    Buutt there are upsides to going solo too!! You can stick to your own agenda and do whatever the hell ya like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Buutt there are upsides to going solo too!! You can stick to your own agenda and do whatever the hell ya like!

Having traveled alone I 100% agree. Nothing like having nobody to answer to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Fincchheeyyyy

Having traveled alone I 100% agree. Nothing like having nobody to answer to!

or differing agendas or ideas of a good time! I have a friend who takes about 2 hours to get ready. We'd be heading to the beach and she'd still insist on putting on her make up even though she's about to jump in the sea! She also put on fake tan every night and we got in trouble in the hotel cos she ruined the sheets. Very annoying to travel with! I reckon it can ruin relationships much like moving in with someone - if you want to really know me, come travelling with me in intense heat after getting ripped off by locals and stung by a poisonous jellyfish!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have done the solo thing many times, but never to a resort. Just my preference, as I am not one for sitting by a pool all day!

A great time to go solo is early September, just when schools go back, otherwise you will be surrounded by happy families and kids screaming, that's what July and August are for!

A great trip I did a couple of years ago was to Padua (Padova), flew into Treviso and caught a bus to Padova. Great town/city lots of younger people around because of the University, lovely outdoor bars and restaurants, great markets, and if you are inclined plenty of culture especially the Scrovegni frescoes.

The train in Padova takes you to Venice in about 25 minutes and pulls in where the water taxis all take off from. Brilliant.

Then I took a train to Bologna, about an hour I think. Fab place for the day, great food, amazing. It was easy on my own.

But we are all different. It depends on your preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Back in my day they used to call it club med…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

My ultimate lazy sun holiday is Lanzarote. We stay in Puerto del Carmen and always stay in the same basic cheap apartment complex. My girlfriends parents have been going there almost every year for the last 10 years.

Nice pool to relax next to with a tiny bar for some ice cold beer. It's a lovely residential-ish area we stay so it's safe and quiet, but still only a 5 walk to the main strip and less than 10 minutes to beach. Spotless clean apartments with a balcony. Basic but has everything you need, and for a price you can't argue with.

Huge number of restaurants to eat in the whole way down the strip. A nice, small local bar run by a British couple around the corner from the apartment for a night cap in the evening (Where a chat is definitely is possible if you want). A small supermarket right next door for all the essentials.

Happy to pass on the apartment name if you're interested. Shoot me a PM and I'll answer any questions you have.

--

We've also been on holidays in Albufeira Portugal but you are pretty much guaranteed to get harassed there. Tenerife was ok but we're not planning on going back again as the first time didn't appeal to us.

Barcelona is very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's only ever happened to me once and that was last year in Spain but to be fair, I was lying by a pool drinking beers so the lads probably thought game ball!

I'd like somewhere where I can chat to people in the evening etc. but where I will also be left alone to do my own thing during the day. Maybe somewhere like Barcelona where there's a city and a beach. Maybe a resort is not the way to go. I just wish I had a travel buddy :(

I'm heading to Tuscany in two weeks. I'd recommend somewhere like there or as you said barcelona. If you go to a big city then there's always group activities like pub crawls that you can sign up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

As a random suggestion, Cadiz in spain. It's one of the oldest cities in the world. It's all winding streets and plazas with live music and restaurants. Only problem is there's no direct flights. You'd have to get to Seville and grab a bus for an hour to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Danger781 wrote: »
    My ultimate lazy sun holiday is Lanzarote. We stay in Puerto del Carmen and always stay in the same basic cheap apartment complex. My girlfriends parents have been going there almost every year for the last 10 years.

Nice pool to relax next to with a tiny bar for some ice cold beer. It's a lovely residential-ish area we stay so it's safe and quiet, but still only a 5 walk to the main strip and less than 10 minutes to beach. Spotless clean apartments with a balcony. Basic but has everything you need, and for a price you can't argue with.

Huge number of restaurants to eat in the whole way down the strip. A nice, small local bar run by a British couple around the corner from the apartment for a night cap in the evening (Where a chat is definitely is possible if you want). A small supermarket right next door for all the essentials.

Happy to pass on the apartment name if you're interested. Shoot me a PM and I'll answer any questions you have.

--

We've also been on holidays in Albufeira Portugal but you are pretty much guaranteed to get harassed there. Tenerife was ok but we're not planning on going back again as the first time didn't appeal to us.

Sorry now for butting in here but are you a single woman? As when I went to lanzarote on my own I was followed back to my apartment by a man and had to get a guy that I knew there to deal with him. Absolutely terrifying experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

Sicily. Sicily is class. Palermo has everything for the solo lady, Mondello beach, good restaurants, cafes, markets, shops, loads of historical sites for walking. The food is unreal, especially if you like seafood. Lovely little cafes open till late you can get a coffee and unreal ice cream. No larger morons anywhere. Go see the town of 'Corleone' from The Godfather about 30 minutes away. Prices are very reasonable. Aer Lingus will fly to Catania but you can get the train to Palermo which is a bit of a slog but a great way to see the coast of a good part of the island. Go for two weeks if you can. Pure relaxation, nobody messes with anybody. If you know a bit of Italian or make a effort they'll be treating you like royalty. Highly recommended.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

laoisgem wrote: »
    Sorry now for butting in here but are you a single woman? As when I went to lanzarote on my own I was followed back to my apartment by a man and had to get a guy that I knew there to deal with him. Absolutely terrifying experience.

No I am not single or a woman. I am sorry you had to experience that and I'm sure it was absolutely terrifying being followed like that. However that kind of behavior will unfortunately happen in every country throughout the world; It just so happens you experienced it in Lanzarote. I'm sure many people will have experienced very similar situations within Ireland as well.

I would not let that experience turn you off all that the Canary Islands has to offer. Puerto del Carmen specifically is a wonderful place that we've never felt unsafe in. My girlfriend and I are going back again in a few weeks for our 4th visit together.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd second flying to Faro and staying there or Tavira.

Faro:
    Airport close to town.
    Train and bus station in town.
    Charming old town.
    Cheap, good food and drink.
    Very relaxed.
    Beach 15 minutes on bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

buried wrote: »
    Sicily. Sicily is class. Palermo has everything for the solo lady, Mondello beach, good restaurants, cafes, markets, shops, loads of historical sites for walking. The food is unreal, especially if you like seafood. Lovely little cafes open till late you can get a coffee and unreal ice cream. No larger morons anywhere. Go see the town of 'Corleone' from The Godfather about 30 minutes away. Prices are very reasonable. Aer Lingus will fly to Catania but you can get the train to Palermo which is a bit of a slog but a great way to see the coast of a good part of the island. Go for two weeks if you can. Pure relaxation, nobody messes with anybody. If you know a bit of Italian or make a effort they'll be treating you like royalty. Highly recommended.

I will get around to doing that. Been dying to for years but it just hasn't happened yet. Absolute dream holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Danger781 wrote: »
    My ultimate lazy sun holiday is Lanzarote. ...

Fair call, and time of year is irrelevant happily. Regular flights from Ireland.

I was in Playa Blanca on the southern side - has a slightly more upmarket rep than Puerto Del Carmen, but that is a matter of opinion. I couldn't see how a single lady would draw any hassle there. When bored of lounging in sun, the whole interior of the island is a National Geographic show in a €40 day tour.

Yes Barcelona has charms but has changed. Dear as you point out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

buried wrote: »
    Sicily. Sicily is class.

A beautiful place but a veritable European capital of hassling females. OP was specific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

If you want sun, amazing water for swimming and not to be hassled I'd recommend Croatia- but not the resorts of Pula/Pored which they try to flog to the Paddies. You can fly to Rijeka (the airport is actually on the island of Krk) and find lovely places on Krk it take the ferry to Cres island which is beautiful. No Irish, no heavy boxers wrecking the place. Just pristine pine forest, beaches with turquoise waters and great food/wine. Shuts down early so quiet too.

Alternatively fly to Split take ferry to Brac and bus to Bol. Gorgeous. No Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

topper75 wrote: »
    A beautiful place but a veritable European capital of hassling females. OP was specific.

Lady relation of mine goes there a good bit and never gets a bit of bother

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

....And for those who'll criticise me for the "No Irish " comment - I'm Irish and happy to be so, but on holiday I don't want to see big gutted red faced mobs in tracksuits or nylon gaa shirts effing and blinding and off their heads. I can see that at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Bring a mannequin.

Yes the downside is lugging it on buses and restaurants / bars can be tricky but they eat very little, they're usually very quiet and it'll be a hassle free holiday as guys will think you're nuts.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Danger781 wrote:
    No I am not single or a woman. I am sorry you had to experience that and I'm sure it was absolutely terrifying being followed like that. However that kind of behavior will unfortunately happen in every country throughout the world; It just so happens you experienced it in Lanzarote. I'm sure many people will have experienced very similar situations within Ireland as well.

Danger781 wrote:
    I would not let that experience turn you off all that the Canary Islands has to offer. Puerto del Carmen specifically is a wonderful place that we've never felt unsafe in. My girlfriend and I are going back again in a few weeks for our 4th visit together.

I go to lanzarote most years for a week with the wife. Its full of male African immigrants who move in groups of dozens. It is definitely not fair to say you'd experience the same potential issues as a single female in Ireland or every other part of the world.

I say that as somebody who enjoys lanzarote and all it offers but let's not let emotion cloud reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

A single woman out on her own is usually going to attract a bit of male attention. How are you defining "Hassle" ? Is a man saying hello and offering to buy you a drink hassle ? Its hassle if you decline and he persists but otherwise whats the harm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

If I were travelling on my own I'd go to a city as there'll always be something to do. I'm not big into the Costa's - they're grand for a family holiday but not very interesting.

I'd pick Lisbon - similar to Barcelona and only a short flight. Siena in Italy would be another favourite, or anywhere in Tuscany.

Venice in September would be lovely, yes Italian men will definitely hit on you but I've never found them aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

El Medano in Tenerife is a nice spot and reasonably quiet compared with other parts of the island. It's also very close to the airport (10 minute drive max). We got an apartment with access to a pool and a view of the sea and it was perfect.

There's a beach a 5 minute walk away in the town and loads of nice little restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Lisbon.

You have the independence / anonymity of the city, then a 20 min train ride to Cascais for the beach.

Cracking place too, which helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I think it's not exactly what you were thing of but have you considered group tours OP?

I've done a few further afield with *Gecko Adventures, but they, and other companies do tours in Europe as well. You can choose how much you want to do with the group and how much you want to do on your own - you may click with some people or may not. It was almost unheard of for women to get hassled by men on the tours, but generally all it took was to claim one of the men on the tour was your boyfriend to be left alone. It was more common for us men to have to claim one of the women was our girlfriend! :)

I didn't do much of a google, but I've seen sites before offing solo friendly resort breaks. Maybe there's something here : https://www.traveldepartment.ie/holiday-types/solo-friendly-holidays/

*Gecko Adventures was bought out by Intrepid years ago. They kept the Gecko name for young people, whereas the Intrepid tours were similar but more luxurious, more expensive, and aimed at older people. They all seem to be under the same name now : https://www.intrepidtravel.com/ie/geckos-adventures

Advertisement