Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

Need help with the residence of time of marriage for Dermot Cuddy I can't find a Boularane? The cuddys are from galway I think anyways maybe possibly roscommon but I doubt it. If you could help me find the townland that would be amazing , thank you

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1883/10943/5999625.pdf

The chapel is in Fohenagh in the poor law union of Mountbellew ,his wife is from Fairfield,Killure just outside Ahascragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Well, it looks like Dermot had a sister Eliza who married in 1886 and the wedding took place in the parish of Fuerty in Roscommon. Her address is given as Boolybane in the Registrar's district of Athleague.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1886/10828/5949680.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Hi all,

Looking to find out what the centre part of these army release papers say.

https://imgur.com/a/rRXUbAJ

Any help appreciated and happy new year!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

This might be some of it...
    ...and his character
    during this period
    was good
    a good heavy mortar
    lorry driver willing
    _____ order & intelligent
    & gave ____ action...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

davo2001 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking to find out what the centre part of these army release papers say.

https://imgur.com/a/rRXUbAJ

Any help appreciated and happy new year!

..his character during this period was Good.
    A good heavy motor(?) lorry driver, willing, honest, (?) + intelligent and gave ???

• Advertisement

Mortar sounded more exciting but motor makes sense.

Maybe sober for the missing word?

Happy New Year. :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

how about....."honest soldier"?

Maybe not though. Happy New Year to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Well, it looks like Dermot had a sister Eliza who married in 1886 and the wedding took place in the parish of Fuerty in Roscommon. Her address is given as Boolybane in the Registrar's district of Athleague.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1886/10828/5949680.pdf

Thanks so much i still cant find exactly where boolybane is but it was enough to solve my brickwall! I got that record from a Dna match.He couldnt find any further either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

A good heavy mortar lorry driver, willing, honest, sober, intelligent & gave satisfaction.

? maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Agree with D Boo above. Motor makes sense because he is RASC (Royal Army Service Corps). Woolich is primarily an artillery barracks but always had links with the RASC who had a barracks there also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Thanks all, it's my great grand father's discharge papers from WW1. He served as an ammunition transport driver delivering ammo behind the front lines.

Injured twice ( minor injuries ) during his time served.

Trying to find out more info on where exactly he was based in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 paumurp

Hi can anyone make sense of the note at the end of the Baptism of Maria Joannes Graydon on this link

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633719#page/125/mode/1up (august 1874)

Also, do you think that the name Richard in the linked birth cert is a mistake? Looks like father's name in rather than Maria Joannes? Same record different name?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1874/03139/2151169.pdf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

paumurp wrote: »
    Hi can anyone make sense of the note at the end of the Baptism of Maria Joannes Graydon on this link

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633719#page/125/mode/1up (august 1874)

Was her father a non-Catholic?
    paumurp wrote: »
    Also, do you think that the name Richard in the linked birth cert is a mistake? Looks like father's name in rather than Maria Joannes? Same record different name?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1874/03139/2151169.pdf

Yes it looks like a mistake. These usually came to light later if applying for something you would need your birth cert for. The (5) underneath the name means they knew that should have been in column 5 (father's name).
    Perhaps the lady registering the birth did not know what name the child had been given?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 paumurp

spurious wrote: »
    Was her father a non-Catholic?

Yes it looks like a mistake. These usually came to light later if applying for something you would need your birth cert for. The (5) underneath the name means they knew that should have been in column 5 (father's name).
    Perhaps the lady registering the birth did not know what name the child had been given?

Hi Spurious...yes Church of Ireland...that makes sense now.

The names and location just threw me slightly, but dates etc fit Maria.

They don't have a marriage cert (that I can find), although 1911 census has them married 19 years (so around 1881) when their second child would have been born.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Just wondering if anyone can make out the entry for a will abstract. It's at the top left numbered 316.

I can read, 'Kelly Robt Lisnanane Co. Roscommon Esq. to Catherine O'Connor the daughter (?) Celia Nolan (?) the daughter. Administration granted August 12th 1786.'

What I can't read may not be significant. I know that Catherine was the eldest daughter if that's at all relevant. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

srmf5 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can make out the entry for a will abstract. It's at the top left numbered 316.

I can read, 'Kelly Robt Lisnanane Co. Roscommon Esq. to Catherine O'Connor the daughter (?) Celia Nolan (?) the daughter. Administration granted August 12th 1786.'

What I can't read may not be significant. I know that Catherine was the eldest daughter if that's at all relevant. Thanks.

To Catherine O'Connor ... for the use of Celia Nolan ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

tabbey wrote: »
    To Catherine O'Connor ... for the use of Celia Nolan ...
    Mmmmm. I think that the 'for the use' is actually 'owise' [otherwise] Kn [known] Celia Nolan Connor the dau [daughter]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Mmmmm. I think that the 'for the use' is actually 'owise' [otherwise] Kn [known] Celia Nolan Connor the dau [daughter]

Perhaps.

But why would she have two different christian names? Surnames changed each time she married but not first names.

Perhaps.

But why would she have two different christian names? Surnames changed each time she married but not first names.

They're definitely two different women anyway.

Two daughters.

• Advertisement

But why would she have two different christian names?

The name they were known by in daily life and their legal name?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    The name they were known by in daily life and their legal name?

I know that in this case they're definitely two different daughters. Robert only had two daughters and no other children. Catherine and her husband had no children and when she became a widow, she returned to the family home. When she died, her nephew Nolan inherited the land.

srmf5 wrote: »
    I know that in this case they're definitely two different daughters. Robert only had two daughters and no other children. Catherine and her husband had no children and when she became a widow, she returned to the family home. When she died, her nephew Nolan inherited the land.

I'm not disputing your info here - just pointing out why there might be two christian names.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Hi all, can anyone work out where in newcastle Patrick was buried? (K........) is this an area or a cemetery, only got this information in the last how and was down in Kilquade in wicklow today researching!! Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Kiladriney Co Wicklow? (Lots of squinting involved, so not 100% sure. :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I don't see Newcastle, I see Newtown?

what paper was the death notice in? Maybe it would be easier to see on irishnewsarchives.com if available there? If you have more details on the death notice I'll take a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Kilruddery perhaps? Or Kildriney?

This is a list of burial ground registrars in Wicklow I found on www.wicklow.ie - someone there may be able to assist.
    https://www.wicklow.ie/Portals/0/Burial%20Ground%20Registrars%202019.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Kilruddery?

Beaten to it...........;-(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

JDERIC2017 wrote: »
    Hi all, can anyone work out where in newcastle Patrick was buried? (K........) is this an area or a cemetery, only got this information in the last how and was down in Kilquade in wicklow today researching!! Thanks.
    This is as enhanced as my limited chromebook could make the image, I see Newtown as well.

Do you suppose it meant to say Killadreehan?

• Advertisement

How is the image so poor? What's the source please?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement