Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the "good" Akira DVD???

• 04-11-2005 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I remember reading here about a year ago about the different DVD versions of Akira and which was best. I also remember seeing both versions available on play.com but there's only one version (Ultimate collection) there now. I think the "good" version had a new English dub which was meant to be better than the original dub.

As the search function's broken at the moment and google's boards search is giving me anything, can some tell me the best version to buy? Is it the "Ultimate collection" version?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I don't think the original dub was ever released on DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

OFDM wrote:
    can some tell me the best version to buy?

I don't think it's been made yet!, the last two releases I've seen in recent years by Manga UK have been completely bereft of any special features. The best one currently available I suppose is the 'Ultimate Edition', which is Swahili for "2 copies of film, one new dub, one old".

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&page=title&r=R2&title=119925

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I don't understand how anyone would want to listen to the original dub of Akira ever again. It's bloody horrific.

Come on Sico!, Kaneda being voiced by the surfer dude actor who also did Michaelangelo from the Turtles is reason enough!

COWABUNGA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

Yeah, the Ultimate Collection one is the one to go for. Although, as Laguna points out, there is a paucity of extras. Just a crappy making of doc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

Laguna wrote:
    Come on Sico!, Kaneda being voiced by the surfer dude actor who also did Michaelangelo from the Turtles is reason enough!

COWABUNGA!
    I thought that was Leonardo! i.e. The Most Annoying Turtle.

Just watch the subtitled version dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

I got a great one in a 2 disk set in a black box. Came with a making off, make your own trailer, quiz and dvd-rom stuff. Can't find it on any site though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Laguna wrote:

COWABUNGA!
    Yeah like totally... I thought the original dub was the best.
    I bought Akira on DVD like 2 years ago, and was pretty dissapointed with the new voice actors... and I think they removed some of the fu*king swear words? what's up with that shít?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Juggalo wrote:
    I got a great one in a 2 disk set in a black box. Came with a making off, make your own trailer, quiz and dvd-rom stuff. Can't find it on any site though.
    Could it be the region 1 Akira Special Edition?:
    http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?page=title&r=R1&title=93859

Is this the same as the Ultimate Collection?

No, I've never seen that version before, it looks newer than the ultimate edition and has more special features. You will never catch me paying $61.99 for Akira though. To be honest, Akira is overrated anyway, it's seen as the first anime to break the west, as it were, this being the main reason why it's still held in such high esteem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Was it in a black foldout box, with horrible plastic that sticks to the discs inside?
    I bought that years ago; could've been an elderly copy which was lying in a box somewhere (not that that's a bad thing!)
    I think it was the Anniversary Edition, or Remastered...
    Still, remember the First Commandment of Anime: Thou shalt watch only subs! ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Still, remember the First Commandment of Anime: Thou shalt watch only subs! ^_^

Not all dubs are bad! :mad:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just 99.99% of them...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The new dub is decent enough. It's closer to the subtitles and most of the swearing was taken out because it was only included to make it seem 'cool' (or probably gnarly at the time). I still would have liked Michelangelo from the turtels in the new dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Grrr... >_<

I hate it when ppl think just because its anime its fine to watch it dubbed! just try watching it subtitled and youll see how bad dubbed really is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Laguna wrote:

Leonardo, the whiny one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Laguna wrote:
    Thats the one that i have, the 'newer' version is far superior to the old one both in quality of picture and in voice acting. Woth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

carbonkid wrote:
    just try watching it subtitled and youll see how bad dubbed really is ;)

I have watched several animes subbed and dubbed and I still think that dubbed animes are still enjoyable.

Example: Full Metal Alchemist. Although the subbed version is funnier the dubbed version is still immensely enjoyable.

Advertisement