Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrade costs

• 14-07-2018 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

I have been looking at an old property to buy, it is in fairly ok condition but would need upgrading, new Windows and doors, new kitchen and bathroom which is all ok but just realised it only has an electric heating system and does not seem to have an immersion heater, it's a small two up two down house about 150 years old any idea if it would be mega expensive to install a new gas central heating system?mormshould I walk away.... Cost is 115k in Wexford town

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The cost wouldn't just be the boiler, but the radiators, piping and taking apart / putting everything back together. This may have an impact on painting, carpets, etc.

Immersions are somewhat wasteful. Instant heaters are probably a better idea.

What is the insulation like?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

Is it night storage heating? Sometimes it's a good option for smaller properties. They are used in combination with a dual (day/night) meter and charge during the night at the cheaper tariff. Like Victor said, insulation might be worth considering more than the heating system. New windows and doors will certainly help with that. Can the walls be insulated? (are they cavity wall or cavity block).
    For a property that old, I would pay for a roof survey (by a roofing contractor) also , in addition to the standard building survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Your looking at four walls and a roof. Top of the head. 80sqm around 80k

80k for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

M.Cribben wrote: »
    Is it night storage heating? Sometimes it's a good option for smaller properties. They are used in combination with a dual (day/night) meter and charge during the night at the cheaper tariff. Like Victor said, insulation might be worth considering more than the heating system. New windows and doors will certainly help with that. Can the walls be insulated? (are they cavity wall or cavity block).
    For a property that old, I would pay for a roof survey (by a roofing contractor) also , in addition to the standard building survey.

No it's not night storage, just some old fashion electric type heaters. As I say it's a very small house. The walls are really thick so don't think they are the type you can insulate, I could of course put insulation in the attic, it's a terraced house so hopefully some heat from both sides. Basically I don't want to spend more than about 30-40k for upgrade and don't know where to turn for advice. I am a widow so would,have usually asked my husband but sadly no longer. Appreciate your help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

80k for what?

For what the OP asked to price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Zelda247 wrote: »

No it's not night storage, just some old fashion electric type heaters. As I say it's a very small house. The walls are really thick so don't think they are the type you can insulate, I could of course put insulation in the attic, it's a terraced house so hopefully some heat from both sides. Basically I don't want to spend more than about 30-40k for upgrade and don't know where to turn for advice. I am a widow so would,have usually asked my husband but sadly no longer. Appreciate your help.

You will.find the old thick walls are good for insulation naturally comparer with the Block walls we have now. The way to insulate them better is Timber frame the inside and pack with insulation then plasterboard on top.

80k for what?
    kceire wrote: »

A gas central heating system.

Augeo wrote: »
    A gas central heating system.

80k to supply and fit gas central heating into a 2-bed terrace? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kceire wrote: »
    80k for what?

Windows 900 a piece , door 2k, internal door 200 each, bathroom 5k, kitchen 10k

Stick with electric heating and add a stove.

40k or less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭denismc

It's impossible for someone to give an accurate price without actually doing a survey of the house.
    You could pay someone to do an energy survey, this should cost 300-500 euro.
    Or at the very least get a builder to have a look at it.

80k to supply and fit gas central heating into a 2-bed terrace? :confused:

Well that's what the OP asked. I'm not the folks suggesting the 80k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

There is a pretty good window and door supplier in Craanford Co. Wexford, you'll find them when you Google them. I just bought a Palladio door for a bit over 1,5k there and they were amazing to deal with, will most likely get them to do my windows once I can afford it.
    Oil central heating fitted with all rads and plumbing updating, new boiler, tank etc plus Bathroom fitted minus tiling was 11k. You can apply for a grant. Tiling and flooring with material was something around 2,5k.
    Kitchen supplied and fitted (smallish U-shape) with appliances we bought was 6,5k by a local kitchen supplier.
    Rewired too, you should definitely do that when the house is ripped apart already, was bit under 6k with cert.
    Mind you, ours is a 3bed end of terrace.

I believe 40k with good budgeting can get you quite a bit and you should look into SEAI grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

LirW wrote: »
    There is a pretty good window and door supplier in Craanford Co. Wexford, you'll find them when you Google them. I just bought a Palladio door for a bit over 1,5k there and they were amazing to deal with, will most likely get them to do my windows once I can afford it.
    Oil central heating fitted with all rads and plumbing updating, new boiler, tank etc plus Bathroom fitted minus tiling was 11k. You can apply for a grant. Tiling and flooring with material was something around 2,5k.
    Kitchen supplied and fitted (smallish U-shape) with appliances we bought was 6,5k by a local kitchen supplier.
    Rewired too, you should definitely do that when the house is ripped apart already, was bit under 6k with cert.
    Mind you, ours is a 3bed end of terrace.

I believe 40k with good budgeting can get you quite a bit and you should look into SEAI grants.
    Could I ask who the kitchen supplier was please, any recommendations appreciated, you can pm me if you would prefer

Advertisement