Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borderlands 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,630 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Doesn't look like it's gotten a visual upgrade based on that, looks more or less the same as 2 did visually.

He did say 4K there when the clip **** the bed but it's cell shaded graphics so it can only look so good.

Randy looked seriously annoyed when the trailer stuttered though :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Visually looks the same but fcuk it its more borderlands which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,082 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I always liked the cell-shaded look anyway. Gave the games its own aesthetic. You could show me two screenshots from Destiny and Anthem and I'd probably have a hard time telling them apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm actually really disappointed the rumoured Borderlands 2 for the Switch package doesn't seem to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

5 years Randy, I don't believe you.

No release date either.

Also what the hell happened the initial showing of the trailer. PAX fail

No mention of platforms either! Guessing the want to hold off the backlash from the Epic store for as long as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Venom wrote: »
    No mention of platforms either! Guessing the want to hold off the backlash from the Epic store for as long as possible.

The Borderlands Game of the Year trailer has Steam, PS4 and Xbox One as listed platforms. That might be indicative of their intended platforms for Borderlands 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,720 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wonder if Anthony Burch is still involved; his writing definitely informed a lot of the distinctive humour.

Game certainly doesn't look like it had much of a visual upgrade - but that's fine with me, better chance of being able to playing the damn thing ;)

Venom wrote: »

Randy said he'd have more details soon. Is E3 the next big show? It'll be released on PC, Xbox and PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Any release date?

None yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    None yet.

Hopefully towards the end of this year(September/October) and not some time next year.

• Advertisement

• pixelburp wrote: »
    Wonder if Anthony Burch is still involved; his writing definitely informed a lot of the distinctive humour.

Game certainly doesn't look like it had much of a visual upgrade - but that's fine with me, better chance of being able to playing the damn thing ;)

He left Gearbox 3 or 4 years back, no word if he's back or involved with the new game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I loved BL 1 but couldn't finish BL 2, played 3 times and gave up around the same bit as it got fairly grindy going around the map collecting things. I see the handsome collection is 15 quid in Argos, tempted to give it another go but dunno why I loved the 1st but not the 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I loved BL 1 but couldn't finish BL 2, played 3 times and gave up around the same bit as it got fairly grindy going around the map collecting things. I see the handsome collection is 15 quid in Argos, tempted to give it another go but dunno why I loved the 1st but not the 2nd.

I loved both played them on PC but got them for free on Xbox but cannot be bothered to play them again even though I loved playing them the first time. It's more to do with knowing how long I would have to play them for and the fun factor of playing a new game is gone also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Awesome trailer. Looks like just pure and utter "More Borderlands" which is exactly what I want. The reddit leak from a few pages back seems to have been bang on the money too.

I get that some are saying it looks like the previous games, but I thought some of the level design they showed in the trailer, especially some of the more exotic-looking areas looked fantastic. I think due to the celshading, that's where the improvement in graphics will really be noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Out this fiscal year so before April 2020

Looks like more borderlands which isnt a bad thing.

• €29.99 for the Remaster of the first game. Bit steep?

€29.99 for the Remaster of the first game. Bit steep?

On PC? According to this you get it free if you have the original on Steam.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/borderlands-goty-edition-free-for-owners-of-original-game-on-steam-released-03042019-3205386

• TitianGerm wrote: »

Only checked consoles, think I might actually have it on steam from a sale at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,082 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Golden keys are definitely gonna be a microtransaction, aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The obvious Epic store issue is hanging over for some players (me included). I have all the games and all the DLC on steam.

Borderlands is/was the perfect Steam game, "oh my buddy is playing" JOIN GAME.

Personally I think gearbox is above needing a gauranteed 20m or whatever epic offer because they know they have 10m Steam players for b2.

But I could be wrong and Epic will nail this and everyone will rejoice.....but noone can JOIN GAME.

I get devs accepting cash cos it covers everything and ensures the game is a success regardless of anyone buying it....I have to think Gearbox is above that and negiotied a better deal for B3 in the current climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

More info about the game will be revealed on the 3rd of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The obvious Epic store issue is hanging over for some players (me included). I have all the games and all the DLC on steam.

I think they will do a timed exclusivity deal with the Epic store for launch, and add to Steam a few weeks/months later. A lot of steam users will go "ah feck it" and just grab it on Epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I don't really understand the utter hatred of epics launcher, I mean it's not the first company to have its own launcher. Might be a bit of an inconvenience but screw it I already have uplay, origins, Windows store and steam, what more is epics launcher.
    Good that Steam's getting a bit of real competition as well in my opinion, monopolies are never good for consumers.

I don't really understand the utter hatred of epics launcher, I mean it's not the first company to have its own launcher. Might be a bit of an inconvenience but screw it I already have uplay, origins, Windows store and steam, what more is epics launcher.
    Good that Steam's getting a bit of real competition as well in my opinion, monopolies are never good for consumers.

From what I gather (and I say this as a non-PC gamer who doesn't even have Steam), the issue people have with Epic is just how they're throwing money to get fairly big-name exclusives, but then their launcher is missing a lot of the basic functionalities people have come to expect from Steam, and is splitting the base too much.

At least with the likes of Uplay, Origins etc, it's their own games on those platforms. Epic are just buying games which in many cases were already announced or even available for preorder on Steam.

Competition is definitely good and healthy in the long for consumers, but Epic aren't really going about it in the best of ways seemingly (again, spoken as someone who uses neither and is basically just summarising a Jim Sterling video. Still though, thank God for me).

Penn wrote: »
    From what I gather (and I say this as a non-PC gamer who doesn't even have Steam), the issue people have with Epic is just how they're throwing money to get fairly big-name exclusives, but then their launcher is missing a lot of the basic functionalities people have come to expect from Steam, and is splitting the base too much.

At least with the likes of Uplay, Origins etc, it's their own games on those platforms. Epic are just buying games which in many cases were already announced or even available for preorder on Steam.

Competition is definitely good and healthy in the long for consumers, but Epic aren't really going about it in the best of ways seemingly (again, spoken as someone who uses neither and is basically just summarising a Jim Sterling video. Still though, thank God for me).

I get that buying exclusivity is a bit dodge but console's have done it forever. And yeah announcing it for a platform and pulling it is ****y enough but at least you don't have to buy other hardware to just play that game. All it takes is a launcher download.

To be fair the only feature I really use on Steam is the friends tab, I use discord for chat with my group. It is nice and tidy having everything in one library though but I'm not going to get super upset about that.

At least epic still develop their own games :D maybe this will give valve the kick up the arse it needs to start developing games and innovating again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

There's competition, which is both Steam and Epic having the game available to sell on their platform, and people can choose whichever has the best price. This competition is good for consumers, as prices would normally go down as they try to outbid one another.

And then there's Epic bribing people so that they have exclusive access and can have the game at whatever price they like. This is not good for consumers, because the price realistically remains the same as Epic can charge what they want. Then there's the spyware rumours, the general lack of functionality of the client, etc that's been mentioned all over the place.

There's competition, which is both Steam and Epic having the game available to sell on their platform, and people can choose whichever has the best price. This competition is good for consumers, as prices would normally go down as they try to outbid one another.

And then there's Epic bribing people so that they have exclusive access and can have the game at whatever price they like. This is not good for consumers, because the price realistically remains the same as Epic can charge what they want. Then there's the spyware rumours, the general lack of functionality of the client, etc that's been mentioned all over the place.

Out of interest are grey market sellers (g2play) selling epic store game codes? I guess I'm used of seeing console's behave this way, ie paying for exclusivity. I see pc as the platform and these differing launchers as storefronts.
    As for spyware spying on people, that's happening with everything at this stage, just the way the online world is now imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Can we not have another thread derailed by the Epic/Steam crap? Seriously, someone create a thread specifically for that (I would, but I've no interest in the argument).

Anyway, as everyone else is saying, it's more Borderlands so it's going to be good. I liked the look of the futuristic city, and the 'worlds', seems to be way bigger than the first 2. I do want to go back and play through the first 2 again, but I fear I'd burn out my Borderlands excitements if I did.

Can we not have another thread derailed by the Epic/Steam crap? Seriously, someone create a thread specifically for that (I would, but I've no interest in the argument).

Anyway, as everyone else is saying, it's more Borderlands so it's going to be good. I liked the look of the futuristic city, and the 'worlds', seems to be way bigger than the first 2. I do want to go back and play through the first 2 again, but I fear I'd burn out my Borderlands excitements if I did.

Yeah I bought BL2 VR but haven't been able to bring myself to play it, as I played through the original too many times I think that even though I wanted to play it, I know I just won't be able to start all over again.

Never really played BL1 though (think I played maybe an hour of it when I got it on PS+ way back when), but like you said, I was really into playing BL at the time so probably felt myself get burned out on it too quickly when I did try it. Think we're getting more BL3 info next week. Depending on whether they give a release date or when it is, I might chance giving it a run-through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah I bought BL2 VR but haven't been able to bring myself to play it, as I played through the original too many times I think that even though I wanted to play it, I know I just won't be able to start all over again.

Dont have VR but when i heard BL2 was coming on VR i was highly tempted, then i found out there was no co-op at all for it. So i didnt bother. That and i have it for the ps3 and ps4 already...

Advertisement