Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rainfall/Drought Watch 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

This June was actually quite ok in Sligo bar 26th onwards

Since Friday morning at 3am we have had exactly 100mm of our now total of 160mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Same story here, bar a couple of very windy/borderline stormy days early in the month it was at least passable up until this week. I'll mainly remember this month for the incessant cold wind and lack of sunshine than the rain I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pretty much echo DS's and Pauldry's view of this June, warm and very dry for most of it, but unlike them, not much in the way of rain here at all bar one day and anything that did fall was light, despite numerous days with actual thunder. Odd month all round.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yet some parts still have not received a lot of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭giveitholly

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yet some parts still have not received a lot of rain.

Yeah it's hard to believe,I was working about an hour away from home today and it gave the full day raining,thick heavy drizzle that would soak you and the ground was squelching underneath me.When I came home I had only recorded .2mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

A further 9 mm today near Westport, and yes it's still raining, making it three days of almost incessant rain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Isn't Gurteen in south Sligo?
    Less than half the rainfall compared to Markree Castle outside Sligo town.
    113mm Markree
    52mm Gurteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

It's in Tipperary
    Isn't Gurteen in south Sligo?
    Less than half the rainfall compared to Markree Castle outside Sligo town.
    113mm Markree
    52mm Gurteen.

Gurteen is in South Sligo

But also tipp

Up to 163mm for June in Sligo Town

It stopped raining but still freezing.

Had heavy blanket on bed first time since March.

Surprised to see that both Cork Apt and Roches Pt are running well below their LTA regarding rainfall totals for the first week of July this year with just 5.8mm (32%) at the Apt and 4.0mm (28%) at the Point. The National average for the same period is running at 30.6mm (186%).

-- From Met Éireann.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had 16mm of rain today. Currently 14C.

Turf fire is, lit since 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

60mm in Kildare now for July. That’s more than April and May combined here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭giveitholly

pad199207 wrote: »
    60mm in Kildare now for July

How much had you for June? That is a serious amount of rain,ONLY 26mm so far around here in tipp

How much had you for June? That is a serious amount of rain,ONLY 26mm so far around here in tipp

124mm

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Change thread title to rainfall watch 2020?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think many parts of the country could exceed their July monthly averages within the next week, some places in the east are getting close already.

km79 wrote: »
    Change thread title to rainfall watch 2020?

Read the thread title again! Covers 'rainfall and drought'.

New Moon

Both Dunsany and Casement Aerodrome have now exceeded their entire monthly average for July with 100.3% and 112.4% respectively, and it only the 9th. This is in stark contrast to Cork Apt's 12.5% and Roches Pt's 15.2%. If we break it down further, these two southern stations have only recorded about 50% of their average total for the first 9 days of the month, whilst the aforementioned eastern stations are well above 300% for same period.

Datums from Met Éireann

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

June 2020 had a total of 76.5mm in south Laois. Not *that* much above the usual average of 56mm for this location considering how wet the last two weeks of the month were.

67.3mm of this fell between June 18th and months' end.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Both Dunsany and Casement Aerodrome have now exceeded their entire monthly average for July with 100.3% and 112.4% respectively, and it only the 9th. This is in stark contrast to Cork Apt's 12.5% and Roches Pt's 15.2%. If we break it down further, these two southern stations have only recorded about 50% of their average total for the first 9 days of the month, whilst the aforementioned eastern stations are well above 300% for same period.

Datums from Met Éireann

Really goes to show how bad it's been here since the end of June, at one stage it was day after day of 12 hour rain events which is why we have exceeded our July rainfall total in just one week! Hopefully the rest of July won't be quite as wet.

• Advertisement

From St. Patrick's Day until June 17th I recorded 49.5mm at this location in South Laois. Since June 18th I have recorded 91.4mm, almost twice the amount in three weeks versus the preceding three months!

July currently stands at 24.1mm

Almost half way through July. 72mm in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Densefog2008

The very bottom of Kildare here, bordering Carlow. 31.6 mm July to date, a fair difference. We got just 40mm in June. We'd take a lot more rain if we could get it

June and July wetter than average at my local station of Dunsany. We exceeded our July monthly total within the first week of July.

With plenty more rain to come over the next 2 weeks and the possibility of a wet August, we are well on track for finishing up with a wet summer here in Meath.

Huge amount of moss growth on the driveway and in the garden since the beginning to July, something that is very rare here in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Densefog2008

You don't foresee a settled dry spell the rest of this month I take it Gonzo? We'd be well used to very warm and dry Julys in this neck of the woods (near oak park) but the lack of sunshine this year has been very noticeable. Funny ould year in every way

Highest and lowest number of totally dry days, including days with 'trace' amounts, at the reporting Met Éireann stations since June 1st:

Tops: Sherkin Island with 22 days, or 50% of days in total
    Bottoms: both Phoenix Park and Casement with just 7 complete dry days, or 15.9% of the total number of days this Summer so far.

.... Met Éireann.

New Moon

Even though we have had rain most days the ground still appears thirsty and if there was a hot spell it wouldnt be long going back.

The ground isnt squelchy if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭endainoz

pauldry wrote: »
    Even though we have had rain most days the ground still appears thirsty and if there was a hot spell it wouldnt be long going back.

The ground isnt squelchy if you get me.

It would need no rain for a month for it to go back. Growth wise, what's needed now for grass is a bit of sunshine for photosynthesis to occur. Conditions for growth are ideal otherwise.

105mm in Kildare now for July

• Advertisement

July rainfall here now stands at: 41.7mm
    Year to date total is 451.8mm.

Hat tip to Pad from Naas for reminding me to tot up the totals! :D

Advertisement