Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CC3 -- Why I believe that a third option is needed for climate change

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Akrasia wrote: »
    ooookaaay

I know what the summer solstice is, it happens every year, so it doesn't explain why this particular year is seeing such unprecedented temperatures with places in Siberia reaching 38c
    That video I posted a while back explained how the decrease in pollutants & aerosols has caused the Arctic region to warm and sea ice to decrease even more than it was already doing since the 'lockdown' began.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 22,227 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    That video I posted a while back explained how the decrease in pollutants & aerosols has caused the Arctic region to warm and sea ice to decrease even more than it was already doing since the 'lockdown' began.

Even if that is the explanation it’s terrible news that human particulate atmospheric pollution is masking some of the effects of anthropogenic global warming. It means the underlying warming is worse than we have already measured

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Akrasia wrote: »
    When permafrost stops being perma or frosty, you don’t need thermometers to tell you that it’s not normal

Actually it ebbs and flows - which is why the likes of Wooly Mammoths etc. got stuck in it thousands of years ago, which again suggests nothing we see in the region currently is out of the ordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The heat wave in Siberia this year is being caused by a massive blocking high in the upper atmosphere. One could argue that this is a random variation that would occur somewhere in the hemisphere most years and just happened to pick Siberia this year. I don't take that approach but believing there would be a cause and effect is not enough to have the actual cause pop out of the shadows.

The AGW lobby will say it's because of greenhouse gases but then that begs the question, why this year, as with the warm spike I mentioned in December 2015. By the way, maps more or less contradict the "explanation" that was offered, there was no random meandering of jet streams but a well-organized northward shift of the subtropical jet from central North America to central Europe which is one third of the hemisphere. I don't see any of the sorts of patterns these AGW proponents tell us we are to expect, but just amplified versions of patterns I've seen many times before. The warmth in December 1982 was similar but not quite as amplified.

My own theory is that after several centuries of negative forcing from various external drivers (principally lower solar constant) the past 120-140 years have seen a generally positive forcing, and certainly human influences play a role in that. But even without us around, I suspect it would be a fairly robust warming trend. We are back to the oscillating peak of the inter-glacial warming and there could be step functions involved in that. Just as melting snow packs creates step function increases in temperatures in the subarctic from March to May, the larger scale changes in climate can do the same thing, I believe, so this is partly why we are seeing "unprecedented" warmth at times. Not sure if it is that unprecedented or just a return to warming that might have occurred several other times in this inter-glacial.

Why anyone would be surprised that it is generally warming, I am not sure about that -- it would seem like a very sure bet after decades of strong solar activity, human influences, urban heat islands spreading out and inter-connecting -- none of these phenomena argue for cooling.

The "meandering jet stream" concept is something that was trotted out to explain the inconvenient appearance of the polar vortex over North America in 2014 and 2015, which at the time was linked to earlier severe cold spells in Europe around 2010 to 2012. Something had to be invented to explain how in a steadily warming climate there would be severe cold spells and months that were just about the coldest on record. So they came up with this displaced polar vortex theory as a supposed consequence of meandering jet streams. It is neither provable nor disprovable, as with a lot of AGW sub-theorems which are actually descriptions rather than theories.

It is rather like saying the Sun is hot because it is emitting a lot of heat. Bingo.

I don't accept descriptive analysis as theoretical explanation. I have spent a lot of time trying to explain this to climate people but they don't seem to get the concept of circular reasoning. This is why the science is bogged down and not making much progress. But it doesn't explain anything just to describe it, you need a more robust theory that can say why a polar vortex appeared over North America in 2014 and 2015 and not much since then (it tried to form early in the past winter and got obliterated after a few days before winter really got started, but managed to produce quite a cold November).

The problem with this pet AGW theory is that exactly the same weather patterns occurred in colder parts of the 19th century when various winters came in colder than the average back then. So that would tell you that the theory is not sound if it can explain weather patterns in both colder than normal climates and warmer than normal climates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭oriel36

One of the greatest genuine unresolved disputes in science is at the juncture where geocentricity became the reasoning for a moving Earth in a Sun centred system with cause and effect also entering the perceptions of humanity with the insight of Copernicus. This is why it remains such a big deal.

The prevailing view in the era of Galileo was that astronomers made future predictions of astronomical events like eclipses, moon phases and planetary positions so that interpreting the motions of the other planets and the Sun or 'saving the appearances' was secondary. The tension between predictions vs interpretations was never resolved and thereby left the door open for theorists who attempted to make experimental predictions look like astronomical predictions. The 'greenhouse earth' is an example of this academic indulgence.

The history of this important juncture in Western civilisation is as rich as it is deep, after all, the geocentric priority of observations-predictions won out over the heliocentric interpretations-conclusions and this failure influences our era to such an extent that people buy the idea that speculative conclusions can be passed off as inviolate facts.

The principle contributors in this thread operate out of experiments-predictions so would be entirely oblivious to interpretations-conclusions based on the motions of the Earth and climate. It certainly entertains these people and their modeling but their speculative conclusions have really nothing to do with climate and introduce heightened anxiety into the population. The covid experience has shown how heightened anxiety is damaging and especially for young people.

Irish people have generally an instinctive grasp of what is fair and what is mere hype so when they choose to use their interpretations-conclusions faculties once again, they will discover that climate is much like the other sciences of geology and biology and the limits of human influence. Modelers can be useful, in this case by comparing traits of the other planets with the Earth and the type of weather conditions which would result from different axial inclinations between a spectrum from 90 degrees to 0 degrees off the orbital plane ( blue line).

https://calgary.rasc.ca/images/planet_inclinations.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

One could argue that this is a random variation that would occur somewhere in the hemisphere most years and just happened to pick Siberia this year. I don't take that approach but believing there would be a cause and effect is not enough to have the actual cause pop out of the shadows.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Joel Myers released an article on Throwing cold water on extreme heat hype

for balance
    Jason Samenow wrote a counter argument AccuWeather misleads on global warming and heat waves, a throwback to its past climate denial

Long term weather is cyclical so weather enthusiasts who ignore the dynamical inputs which will change the weather over the next 6 months to colder and stormier in January have lost their interpretative faculties. Long term weather does not shade off into climate as the experimental theorists would wish in their attempt to bypass planetary dynamics.

No doubt those who imagine weather to be an entirely predictive exercise will continue to scar humanity with the belief that long term weather represents climate and into the monstrosity of 'climate change' modeling. These are the people who display the deer-caught-in-the-headlights reactions as their indulgences are both childish and overreaching.

Closed minds close threads but for those weather enthusiasts who are fair and prepared to let information flow in different directions rather than let information be railroaded into dull and dour conclusions, they will be rewarded a thousand times over by looking at cyclical weather events which defy the attempt to corral weather into something it is not.

In the end, the Earth still turns once and parallel to the orbital plane as a function of the orbital motion of the Earth hence the experience of a single day/night cycle at the North/South poles -

https://www.usap.gov/videoclipsandmaps/spwebcam.cfm

You seem to be unaware that you have simply hit upon a different way of describing a commonly understood phenomenon, what lawyers might call a difference without a distinction.

There's nothing wrong with your analysis but you are incorrect in saying that other scientists are in error and fail to recognize something you recognize.

I've read that this is some very specific form of trolling which cannot be perceived from source, but only from those receiving.

An analogy would be if I were to say that odd numbers were those that ended in 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9, which makes my understanding superior to those benighted mathematicians who say that an odd number is one that cannot be divided by 2 with an integer resulting.

While my "superior theory" is true, it is not actually superior or even different. However it is also not inferior. It is just different.

Google if you wish the subject of "scientific cranks" and look for the specific form that you are exhibiting. It is said to be quite rare, most of us have probably never encountered it before (a person who presents an alternate theory to orthodox science that is not contradictory but is maintained to be different although actually the same thing in different terminology).

Your circle of illumination is simply the result of how the Sun shines on a tilted earth at any given point. There's nothing wrong with it, but you are in error thinking that it is an alternative to orthodox science. It is not different in any way, just a different choice of paradigms.

I have no idea how anything would shake you out of this, but we can't waste our time trying to deal with it here.

Your circle of illumination is simply the result of how the Sun shines on a tilted earth at any given point. There's nothing wrong with it, but you are in error thinking that it is an alternative to orthodox science. It is not different in any way, just a different choice of paradigms.

You are not among Irish sychophants now so spare me the pretense

The circle of illumination is a hemispherical property of the orbital motion of the Earth and always at right angles to the Sun's equatorial plane. The moon and the Earth share the same orientation to the Sun at all times -

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpeg/PIA00134.jpg

This is what is called common sense, however, the childish modelers have managed to create a monstrosity to suit their RA/Dec idea of the Sun wandering across the Earth's equator by pivoting the circle of illumination annually off the equator on an Earth with a zero degree inclination -

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170319.html

This is the feature of modelers who throw together outcomes with no discipline and no different when it comes to the Earth science of climate.

What I have done is isolate the North and South polar latitudes as surface positions where daily rotational velocity is zero and then explain the single polar day/night cycle separately by rotational cause, in this instance a surface rotation parallel to the orbital plane as a function of the specific way the Earth orbits the Sun. It is common to all planets and a 100% observational certainty ( about 50 seconds into the time lapse) so observational interpretation takes priority over weak 'tilted Earth' responses which are insipid due to the lack of logical development -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=612gSZsplpE&t=57s

I wouldn't expect mathematical modelers and their focus on predictive outcomes to comprehend the narrative no more than I would expect them to appreciate the reasons for the partitioning of perspectives between the faster and slower moving planets which rudely got ejected from a thread yesterday.

The weather modelers have scarred humanity for far too long with their 'climate change' fuss by ignoring cause and effect so rather than isolate these academic jokers, they are needed to actually model the relationship between planetary motions and Earth sciences.

• Advertisement

Chart showing how the 30 year average running temp anomaly over Ireland has risen since January 2011 up to the present (yesterday)

XOWnUBB.png

-- Source of data from Met Éireann.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Chart showing how the 30 year average running temp anomaly over Ireland has risen since January 2011 up to the present (yesterday)

XOWnUBB.png

-- Source of data from Met Éireann.
    would be interesting to see that chart running from 1981 to 2020 using absolute temperatures as opposed to the deviation from a 30 year average.

If it looks like the CET or Toronto (or NYC) graphs of mean annual temperature, the trend is obscured by the year to year variability and 2015-16 represents the high point, 2019 closer to the long-term average, 2020 to date back up again (although this month is pulling it back downward).

The general similarity of trends at all locations (in terms of year to year variability) suggests that solar variations combined with Pacific heat release must be important factors, but the tendency towards similar variations washes out at time scales below seasonal, month by month comparisons are much less integrated.

The graph that Oneiric3 posted is basically a comparison of the years 1981-90 to 2011-20, since the running 30-year average for either period at each point in the graph contains the same 20 years running between those decades.

Early data points compare just one or two years (2011 vs 1981, then 2011-12 vs 1981-82) etc. No surprise that the graph would shoot up rapidly around years five and six when 1985-86 were being added to the comparison vs 2015-16, as 1986 in particular was quite a chilly year and 2016 a rather warm one, 1985 closer to average but 2015 one of the warmest. Then the graph flattens towards its end because the new data introduced is 1988-90 vs 2018-20, sometimes warmer back in the first interval there.

In fact the disparity between the period Nov 2015 to Jan 2017 vs Nov 1985 to Jan 1987 appears to contribute about half of the observed warming in the past decade (as the stat increases from .05 to .13 (diff .08) in that interval and the overall increase is 0.16 after ten years).

If the graph was your electricity use over time, then 2012 would be where you went out for a couple of hours and 2016 would be where you did the laundry while taking a hot bath with the heater on.

Apologies in advance if I missed any link you may have posted to it before M.T, but do you have daily data (max/min/mean) from Toronto available in a spread sheet? Would be interesting it through 'R' to extract long term daily averages and compare running anomalies from those. (I'm sort of trivially pedantic like that, which itself speaks of an indulgent, lazy mind)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

[perspective] At 67 N, Verkhojansk is just about inside the Arctic Circle and at the same latitude as places like Lappland, which often gets into the mid-high 30s. Siberia is no different, with short but intense summers. The world's coldest village, Ojmjakon, regularly tops 30 degrees around late June/early July. With the massive Eurasian landmass to its south and two consecutive 21-hour sunshine total days, Verkhojansk hit 38.0 on June 20th, with a small area of other stations 30+ degrees. Overall, this total area comprises a small fraction of the total Arctic, yet the numerous headlines don't state this. Most people will take it that the Arctic (including where the poor polar bears live) is roasting when if fact it was only a small area of it for a few days.
    [/perspective]

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

[perspective] At 67 N, Verkhojansk is just about inside the Arctic Circle and at the same latitude as places like Lappland, which often gets into the mid-high 30s. Siberia is no different, with short but intense summers. The world's coldest village, Ojmjakon, regularly tops 30 degrees around late June/early July. With the massive Eurasian landmass to its south and two consecutive 21-hour sunshine total days, Verkhojansk hit 38.0 on June 20th, with a small area of other stations 30+ degrees. Overall, this total area comprises a small fraction of the total Arctic, yet the numerous headlines don't state this. Most people will take it that the Arctic (including where the poor polar bears live) is roasting when if fact it was only a small area of it for a few days.
    [/perspective]

I have heard about Oymyakon previously. It would be an interesting place to visit.
    It seems the conclusion of these Met Office experts is no area inside the Arctic has seen sustained heat like this before, so they attritbute it to man made global warming.
    As you say the article is misleading, by not pointing out it's a small area of the Arctic that has experienced this heat, but we often see this from both sides of the argument, unfortunately.

I have heard about Oymyakon previously. It would be an interesting place to visit.
    It seems the conclusion of these Met Office experts is no area inside the Arctic has seen sustained heat like this before, so they attritbute it to man made global warming.
    As you say the article is misleading, by not pointing out it's a small area of the Arctic that has experienced this heat, but we often see this from both sides of the argument, unfortunately.

I believe the term is cherry picking,
    Very much used on both side of the argument

I read a paper by Andrew Ciavarella last year, mostly just because of his take on probabilities, it was about rain in China and how AGW had increased the probability of more intense rain and flooding. The linked document had him again estimating probability
    that climate change increased the chances of the prolonged heat in Siberia by at least 600 times

It's an interesting conclusion to make of an event expected every 80,000 years, but the probability still just outside of human life expectancy.

More predictions outside of most peoples life expectancy.
    USA today
    Scientists said that without rapid cuts in greenhouse gas emissions, extreme heat waves could become frequent by the end of the century.

The way the forest fires are reported is to imply that what is usually an Icy tundra is now on fire.
    National Geographic
    A heat wave thawed Siberia's tundra. Now, it's on fire.

The forest fires don't seem to be on the raise. Although deforestation is likely an influencer.
    a-Levoglucosan-concentration-profile-measured-in-the-deep-NEEM-core-b-black-carbon.png

What really annoys me is that global warming has done nadda for Ireland. Siberia 38C, we can barely scrape 20c.

There was an almost identical heat wave in similar latitudes of Alaska and Yukon in summer 1969. Temperatures hit 38 C near the Alaska-Yukon border at about 65 deg latitude and while no weather stations between there and the Brooks Range south of the coast, it was probably quite hot almost to 70 deg latitude in that instance.

In sharp contrast to some recent years, there is almost no forest fire activity in western Canada at this point, which is a relief because health officials were very concerned about getting the poor air quality we had in 2018 during this pandemic situation (also our rates are low which is a pleasant surprise).

Scientists now worried that reduced aircraft data my prove to be detrimental to Hurricane forecasting as the season kicks off:

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1029/2020GL088613

Look on the bright side, scientists, at least there is less Co2 and other emissions being pumped into the atmosphere. I mean, this is what you have been pushing for over the last 3 or 4 decades, right?

New Moon

• Advertisement

Have now finished posting all the NYC data that I obtained for 1869 to present. The overlap with Toronto allows for a comparison of ranks and values. In general there is high correlation for temperatures (I can see that rainfall correlations will be weak or even negative, storm tracks either favouring one or the other, with a few cases of mutual drought).

One interesting thing that emerged from the comparison was that most of the highest temperatures on record occur in years that are otherwise rather cold. I think that may be a difference in the climate as compared to western Europe where more of the extremes happen in years that are overall quite warm.

While they avoid the bottom third of the average temperature series, these high extremes cluster around the median and somewhat below it, other than the high summer extremes, these years are often quite chilly for other portions. December mildness seems to correlate with the hot spells of summer too. Then quite often the year following a high extreme will be overall warm with a summer extreme that is somewhat above average too.

Although the past thirty years do show up as warmer in ranks and averages, the summer extremes have not moved up with that trend, almost all of the daily and monthly records for maximum temperature are back in the mid-20th century. Toronto and NYC share monthly extremes for most cases and sometimes on the same date although NYC tends to hit a lot of records one or two days after Toronto (as a cold front forces warmest air into that vicinity).

The last table posted in my thread (on net-weather) has a full list of yearly extremes for comparison, about half the years have a case of same hot spell (within 2 days) setting the extremes, about a quarter have two peaks that are similar at both locations but one peak edges out the other at each location, and the other quarter are more randomly distributed. Although NYC tends to run 1-3 deg warmer on most comparisons, there are a few that run in the other direction, but very few cases of hot spells that fail to materialize altogether at the other location; I found perhaps one case in each direction. An offshore low prevented any warmth from reaching NYC when Toronto hit high values around June 30, 1927, and a storm track between locations cut off any warmth from reaching Toronto in another instance.

NYC has two years with an April annual maximum; Toronto has none in the overlapping period. Both locations have a few cases in late September but none in October although both stations have had temperatures in October that are higher than the weakest annual extremes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Amazing that all the climate experts at the Met office could release such a shockingly flawed report that it could be rebutted in a few seconds by the geniuses in the Boards.ie climate denial thread, they're going to be so humiliated when this gets out...

I don't see anything like that happening here, just a discussion of what factors go into the observed warming of recent years. Maybe they are right and all of the recent warming is AGW, some of us feel there's a historical trend of warming that began before AGW so why (using logic) would it suddenly stop around 1980 to allow AGW to take over?

You're right, it only takes a few seconds to formulate that paradigm. So the question is, who's right? How do you prove that one side is right and the other side is wrong?

We are not the ones who defined ourselves to be the "experts" from whose opinions nobody may dissent. They chose that path, not us. Nor do I think anyone involved in this discussion believes the equivalent, we are interested in the facts and looking for the best possible analysis. Just because some people declare themselves to be infallible and incredibly informed does not make it so. If it were true we would have reliable seasonal and annual forecasting by now.

Everyone in this science needs to take a humility check. If you're not humble then you're not aware of all the facts, and those facts include an obvious lack of completion of this science relative to many other sciences. We don't have the degree of predictability that other physical sciences have. Until we do, nobody should criticize anybody's ideas or assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thargor wrote: »
    Amazing that all the climate experts at the Met office could release such a shockingly flawed report that it could be rebutted in a few seconds by the geniuses in the Boards.ie climate denial thread, they're going to be so humiliated when this gets out...

I don't think snarky comments such as the above being directed at certain contributors on here says much for your side of the debate. Nobody on the face of this planet is above scrutiny.

The stance put forward by the green movement that the green movement is above questioning is quite frankly alarming. The climate experts at the Met Office sit down on a very similar white throne that you and I do, and the whiff ain't much better either.

When attack is your mode of defence of something you* have put forward as an argument means that you're going to be took with more than a tea-spoon full of suspicion. It's a trait that seems to be default with everything left-leaning. Sad really.

*you = left wing, green movement. Watermelons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Watermelons? You'll have to explain that one... Are mods limited in the personal insults they're allowed use? :D

Green on the outside, red on the inside.

Thargor wrote: »

No one rebutted it.
    There was a comment on area impacted, the medias sensational headlines and the long term predictions.

Climate denial :confused:, care to elaborate?
    When attack is your mode of defence of something you* have put forward as an argument means that you're going to be took with more than a tea-spoon full of suspicion. It's a trait that seems to be default with everything left-leaning. Sad really.

Surely you don't mean those folk who use an electronic device shipped from some where in Aisa, with lax green policies, using rare metals mined from the earth using carbon fuel, smelted with carbon fuel, manufacture with carbon generated electricity, in a shipping container and vessel also created with carbon energy, propelled by carbon energy to Amsterdam, then transported using carbon energy to Ireland?
    Is their device not green?...... Posting supportive AGW comments online tho offsets it surely????
    Or perhaps they offset their carbon foot print by buying a petroleum based compost bin from [they don't know where], composting their orange peels from South Africa, avocados from Mexico and coffee grounds from Columbia. You are not for one second saying that 99.99% of the Irish AGW supporters are Watermelons?
    The decomposing avocado skins must mean something, it must prove something!!!!

double post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yesterday there was a Green Party Councillor on local radio wagging her finger about emissions from transport and that she wants motorway speed limits reduced to 110km/hr as part of an effort to achieve "our" 7% reduction.

A quick peek at her social media page and she is proudly posing in a selfie at the EU Parliament in Brussels describing how "inspiring" it was to visit there just last December. I do wonder whether she cycled or swam across the Celtic Sea to get there, or perhaps she drove at 110km/hr on one of these new fancy car-boats. Or maybe she flew on a fuel-guzzling plane that spewed out about a decade's worth of carbon that ordinary Joe or Jane would emit on the super-fast M6 motorway between Moate and Athlone?

Another gem on her social media: ""we need nature, nature doesn't need people". I think it's attitudes like hers that we don't need quite frankly. But the sad part of it all is that people vote for this party. A party of hypocrites who are in the "do as I say, not as I do" camp. These charlatans should be called out at every single turn because of this attitude.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement