Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thursday/Friday: Lightning Storms, Flash Flooding Event Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

The Kermit de Frog convincing thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Sligo may be a bit far west but, again, just keep up to date with the observations. It's not a forecast anymore. Storms could pop up randomly in a lot of places away from west Connaught and Munster coasts later today.

EDIT: Sligo is not too far west. What am I thinking! :D

Thanks Kermit
    I'm in Donegal by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 owen3371

Starting already on the north coast, thunderstorm between Coleraine and Islay I observed a few c-gs and loud rumbles ,the sky is full of altocumulus I've never seen anything like it in 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Looking through the models this morning and bearing in mind the trends of the last few runs I am thinking storms breaking out in the SE late afternoon / early evening ( maybe a bit of S also), migrating N to cover the E, Midlands, mid W, N and NW. The big population areas of the E has a fairly high chance of thunderstorms by late evening. Thinking that along or off the SE and E coasts could see plenty of storms. The Northern counties could see storms well into the early hours and could peak here.

No storms for Mayo so,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

No storms for Mayo so,

Hard to know but I think highest chance is the area above. Don't expect too much in the SW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

pad199207 wrote: »
    The Kermit de Frog convincing thread ;)

They only need convincing until it happens :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Expecting nothing in East Cork anyway

They only need convincing until it happens :cool:

I know I know. Apologies for my grouchy behaviour. Keep the faith! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Looking at the situation right now, MUCAPE for 7 am was forecast to be a few hundred J/kg from Antrim (where there were a few strikes a while ago) down to Leinster (clear skies). So this level of CAPE is not producing anything.

For later on it does intensify somewhat over land but the main area of interest is over Wales and the Irish Sea this evening. Soundings show most unstable layer around 800 hPa. So some sporadic storms over land during the day but I would expect the best activity to be up along the Irish Sea tonight.

517670.png

517671.gif

But will there be purple level thunderstorms?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

19c in Arklow ,NE breeze and it's not 750am yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

owen3371 wrote: »
    Starting already on the north coast, thunderstorm between Coleraine and Islay I observed a few c-gs and loud rumbles ,the sky is full of altocumulus I've never seen anything like it in 30 years.

OWEN!!!

OWEN!!!

If it is,he's not 30,more like late teens...

B3-D4-F51-F-D4-A5-47-FA-86-F7-552732-BD5896.png

UPDATED

NI/ROI

few elevated showers/thunderstorms may be possible over Ulster during Thursday morning, clearing northwards. Elsewhere, a northward-moving shortwave may result in some elevated convection developing in the vicinity of the Isles of Scilly / Celtic Sea on Thursday morning, which may bring both an increase in mid-level cloud and perhaps a few elevated showers/thunderstorms into SE Ireland by early afternoon, continuing to lift north with time. Even if this elevated convection is not deep enough to produce lightning, the additional cloud cover spilling north may have some negative impact on surface heating. Assuming the cloud is not too extensive and/or fairly broken, diurnal heating could yield 500-1,000 J/kg CAPE by the afternoon and evening hours. Profiles look capped to surface-based convection initially, but mid-level cooling and lift associated with the aforementioned shortwave could lead to scattered thunderstorms erupting during the evening hours (if not earlier), especially in the vicinity of the Central Plain.

Similar to western Scotland (albeit profiles slightly more V-B-V), for a few hours the environment would be favourable for cell organisation and possibly supercells capable of producing large hail 3-4cm in diameter, frequent lightning and strong outflow gusts. A SVR has been issued primarily for the risk of locally damaging hail and flash flooding. This will be dependent on sufficient surface heating, otherwise surface-based convection may struggle to initiate. Either way, stronger forcing aloft will arrive towards mid-evening, and so thunderstorms are likely to become more numerous and increasingly elevated, especially across central/northern Ireland and eventually drifting northwards offshore over the Atlantic and towards the Hebrides. With several thunderstorms potentially training over similar areas, this will bring the risk of local flooding. Most storms will generally drift to the N or NNW, but if mid-level rotation becomes strong enough some may deviate more to the NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

Just going back through all the technical posts and meteorite was on to this quiet early. Fair play.
    Although it still has to happen. Naill biting stuff.
    Is it the extra heat from the land that may cause the thunder storms to increase as it pushes north?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Beautiful morning here in north Greater Dublin, will look forward to later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

pad199207 wrote: »
    But will there be purple level thunderstorms?

There might even be ultraviolet level.

Rookie question -

What sort of clouds should I be looking out for? Don’t want to be searching skies to my south when the action is building in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

bazlers wrote: »
    Just going back through all the technical posts and meteorite was on to this quiet early. Fair play.
    Although it still has to happen. Naill biting stuff.
    Is it the extra heat from the land that may cause the thunder storms to increase as it pushes north?

Yes, the hotter it gets today the more your chance increases of a storm. Even after dark this makes a massive difference. Diurnal heating leads to inland convection and this carries through.

If it clouds up not so much, so we need to avoid that if possible.:) Looks like we mostly will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

In SW Kildare, we didnt get any of the rain or thunder from the last event.

What are the chances for this evening. Looking at the charts I may as well be looking into a ditch

• Advertisement

Cheers for quick reply KDF

• Registered Users Posts: 7 owen3371

OWEN!!!

Thankfully it's has died down now,I need to do a bit of gliding yet and paint the living room,so 8pm will be good enough for me

Charts are a general consensus at this stage. What i believe is just watch your radar closer to the time but you are in a favourable location but also could be unlucky. Hit and miss. The experts might have a different take.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 quizzical

I says wrote: »
    Will I leave the dog in or out so

Oh course you bring the dog into the house:eek:.... unless you think its fair to leave him out in a thunderstorm!!... Remember dogs hear thunderstorms 4 times louder than we do, thats why they get so scared and run away....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Beautiful morning in Dublin 5. Going to be a cracker

Gone over 20c in Arklow at 818am

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The Met Eireann 7 day rainfall map has been consistently downgrading precipitation over the last 24 hours. It is now showing none practically for the east coast. This is based upon the Harmonie I believe. Just to temper expectations with the official forecast not as gung ho currently. There does seem to be a view here that something spectacular is in the offing but it's not quite adding up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gamma Flash

Really clouding over here, south kilkenny, put a lid on heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Not sure if it was 85 or 86 but I can still remember the buildup of clouds coming up from the south but what was so impressive was how high in the sky the clouds went. It created a vastness that I'vd seen since,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The Met Eireann 7 day rainfall map has been consistently downgrading precipitation over the last 24 hours. It is now showing none practically for the east coast. This is based upon the Harmonie I believe. Just to temper expectations with the official forecast not as gung ho currently. There does seem to be a view here that something spectacular is in the offing but it's not quite adding up for me.

The weather forum overhyping something? Surely not!

Joking aside I'd like to see some storms break out but the weather's lovely here at the moment. If it stays like this I'll be happy enough too.

Advertisement