Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruised ribs

• 06-09-2007 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭

I bruised my ribs badly 2 weeks ago and need to play a hurling match this week.( 3 weeks after the injury occuring). I was told that it would take 3 - 6 weeks to heal. They are still painful if I sprint or swing the hurley fully. Would a painkilling injection get me through the match or is there any other quick-fix remedy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Ouch, seriously painful injury. I dont think there is any quick fix for damaged ribs. Personally, I wouldn't recommend playing if they are painful as it might set your recovery back a lot further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Not really pushed if it delayed recovery cos this is last game of the year for me! So I'll have plenty time for recovery after that!! Just dont know if an injection would work for bruised ribs as it would with, say, ankle damage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MGrah

Denis - I'm not a doctor - but I would say if the 16 in your user name is an indication of your age then anyone who would even consider giving you a pain killing injection to play a match should be locked up. Have you had an xray on those ribs and know that none are fractured? You could hurt yourself quite seriously if you play injured. If you are 16, even if this is a championship final - don't play, you're young enough to have more big days and trying to play while injured could cost you (and your team) very dearly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

MGrah wrote:
    Denis - I'm not a doctor - but I would say if the 16 in your user name is an indication of your age then anyone who would even consider giving you a pain killing injection to play a match should be locked up. Have you had an xray on those ribs and know that none are fractured? You could hurt yourself quite seriously if you play injured. If you are 16, even if this is a championship final - don't play, you're young enough to have more big days and trying to play while injured could cost you (and your team) very dearly.

Second that. No doc would consider it for someone that age, and any coach who would consider playing a 16 yr old who needed an injection to play should never coach again.
    OP, thats a really sore injury, I've had it twice and a broken rib once - never took less than 5/6 weeks to heal enough to play. If you can't sprint or swing a hurl without serious pain thats your body telling you it can't do it. You'll have hundreds more matches to play in your career, don't put that at risk by playing now when you can't.

No, MGrah, thats not my age!!! I'm actually at the other end of the age spectrum!!! The injury, as I say, doesn't trouble me jogging or doing the usual daily things. Just sprinting and long striking. I went for an x-ray and they are not broken or cracked. I was just wondering if anyone out there had a similar problem anytime and found an injection enabled them to play a match without being hindered by the ribs. It is a final and could be one of my last chances!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

You cant do anymore damage to yourself if you play if its only brusing, Doubt you could get an injection for such a large area diaphine usually works for me. keep injections for fingers and hips and stuff. Hope you can play

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭phil

You should consult someone medically obviously, but I second the diaphine. I've taken it for a sore back previously and it helped. Bruising is just bruising and you might find that after a while it'll stop being sore once you start to play.

Again, you should be seeking proper medical advice for this to make sure it's ok to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I cracked a rib a few months ago and was prescribed diaphene and it was useless i ended up going back to the hospital for a 2nd opinion or something that would at least take the edge off a broken rib ..... i was given more diaphene .... and there was great rejoicing...

Play the match

Take one for the parish

An Paráiste Abú

Cheers lads,
    Ye are not far off the mark! I have been taking diclomax for the last two weeks but nothing else. So last nite I was told to take 2 solpadol with the diclomax twice today and twice tomorrow before the match. So hopefully that will get me through it. I'm told diphmene and diclomax are more or less the same thing anyway. Thanks for the help anyways. I'll leave a post Tuesday to let you know how I got on (and how the team got on)!!

Cheers again lads

Paraiste abu

Played the match anyway and forgot about the pain after about 5 minutes!!
    Only problem we have to do it all again Thursday night as it finished in a draw. They scored a point 3 minutes into injury time to level it!!

Here We go Again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭someothername

have you thought about the affects of taking large amounts of pain killers on you liver?
    im no doc but i def cant agree with it......

hope the replay goes your way

Advertisement