Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah Castlebar...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

That;s because the taxi drivers will not pick them any more knowing as they do that the filthy little gets won't pay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

irishgeo wrote: »
    What happened to Cox's it used to be the place to be seen in once.

Everyone found out about the place and it was soon filled with 70 year old farmers and 17 year old slappers.

My 2000th post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

irishgeo wrote: »
    westport niteclub is packed at 1am when the last time you seen niteclub full in castlebar.

Still doesn't explain why it is one of the most, if not the most, horrible nightclubs in Connacht!! :D
    de5p0i1er wrote: »
    Everyone found out about the place and it was soon filled with 70 year old farmers and 17 year old slappers.

My 2000th post :)

Add into that, that on pretty much any night of the week you'll find a good few middle aged divorced women looking for anything going, especially from younger lads and staff of the place (Trust me, I worked there 5 years ago and fell victim to said kind of women on one particular evening, and it's only got worse since then!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 I.design

The first problem with Castlebar is the moaners......negativity day in and day out. If you pedestrianised Main St, people in Castlebar wouldn't walk on it because you took away their right to drive on it.
    If you want to talk about developments, look at the dismal attempt and developments that one Tony Gaughan is putting up.....all that money and not an ounce of proper design behind it. Looks bleahh....

Elvery's would never worked as a night club.....too narrow!! The old Cinema on Spencer St maybe is big enough.

If you want to liven up the centre of town, I propose the opening of Canon's pub in market square.....for those who don't know, it opens one day every year to trade so it can keep its licence. Get a weekly trad session going there...

Castlebar will only get a bit of soul into the place when Mayo win an All Ireland......its just so depressing! :mad:

Oh.....I'm from Castlebar too...

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Screw the pubs, never figured out why everyone complains about their being no stuff to do. Unless your a pathetic weirdo who like playing with warhammer stuff, there is a fair bit to get up.

All people need to do is stop thinking about the pub all the time and get out of the house.. better for your health and your pocket

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 I.design

*mono* wrote: »
    All people need to do is stop thinking about the pub all the time and get out of the house.. better for your health and your pocket

Agreed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

with all the said problems about living in castlebar,it could be worse,you could live in ballina :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Still doesn't explain why it is one of the most, if not the most, horrible nightclubs in Connacht!! :D

Ahh now I wouldn't be that hard on it. It's grand especially since it's been done up. Not saying it's Vegas or anything but it's in a damn sight better condition than a lot of nightclubs I've found myself in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

What difference does it make to be honest. It's too expensive. I have an alcoholic of a brother, and he won’t go to the oub because it's too expensive. Instead, he goes to a forest in the town and goes drinking with all the underage people.

I hate to be a prick by bringing this thread off topic, but I believe this is has been knocked on by the new laws of not allowing your children into a pub after 9 o'clock. I dont think the anti-smoking one hit too much, but the one forbidding children from being on a licensed premises after 9pm is a tad ridiculous. On my own confirmation night, I was hastily shovelled out of a pub because there was a few cops hanging around Westport at the time.

Now, for people like me, we just pay someone to go to an off-license, get us drink and then we and go drinking in a field somewhere. It was a law originally intended to help children, but it actually made things worse, because at least in a pub, the publican may refuse to serve you if your over drunk.. in a bush, you drink whatever you got, and you might go unconscious "for the craic"...

New government legislation has stopped locals from going into pubs, and now pubs all over the county (including Westport for that matter) are depending solely on tourism. The day of the pub is over. It is now the reign of the off-license. you can bring your children into your house, you can smoke in your house, and you've no penalty points to worry about.

In all fairness to Westport, we have a reasonably low concentrate of skangers, but they're plain to be seen in Castlebar.

btw, I'm 15, and live in westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

As bad as castlebar *might* be, it still has a lot more to offer then some other towns in Mayo. Take for example Kiltimagh, Balla, Knock, Claremorris, Charlestown, Foxford etc. Ye should count your blessings your not from any of these places. Seriously some of these places don't even have 1 (Ahem, yes 1!) Nightclub. Seriously if it's that bad either, go to westport or stay at home with your slippers and nightdress!!!!

I come from Kiltimagh might not have a nightclub anymore but go to the right pub and you might not leave untill 6 or 7 in the morn. I used to live in castlebar a good few years ago but then it started to go downhill and has not stoped since.

• Advertisement

kevmy wrote: »
    Ahh now I wouldn't be that hard on it. It's grand especially since it's been done up. Not saying it's Vegas or anything but it's in a damn sight better condition than a lot of nightclubs I've found myself in

It does look ok, im not saying its a kip in the sense that its run down and dirty but there is no craic there, a bad vibe off a lot of the people and some of the staff are fairly rude, its only an opinion but also the opinion of a lot of people I know from both towns!

I think its time for a change when it comes to nightlife in both Castlebar and Westport. Dont think anything is gonna happen in Cbar for the foreseable future though! :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well now, I was at home again last weekend and little has changed.

Rowlands - now closed. Had a great couple of nights there on Friday and Saturday and my thanks to Keith and the lads for all the good times over the last number of years.

The TF - jaysus, I stumbled up there on Friday with my free pass from Rowlands and a hape of Jagermeister in me (it was my birthday and Ryo behind the bar started it with depth charges) and it was just awful. There was a pair on stage playing a guitar and singing and I just felt so bad for them having to play to an empty hall. They were rather good though. Then came a dj who looked like one of the lads from Hanson and whilst he played some decent tunes, couldn't mix to save his life. I don't claim to know much about the mechanics of djing (having only stood behind a set of decks once), but c'mon! Learn your trade before working in said trade.

Didn't bother with anything else after all that - I'd had my fill of disappointment!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You were in Mayo and didn't call me??

/scribbles Kharn off the winter solstice card list...

um, pretty sure I posted it in *that sekrit place* - maybe I didn't. Forgive me oB :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You were in Mayo and didn't call me??

/scribbles Kharn off the winter solstice card list...
    U r 4rm May Yo?
    I doon't believe it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CstlbrGrl73

To give my 2 cents here, when I was home in 2002, I was told by all my old friends from Castlebar to say and party in Westport cause it was a much better place to be.

I had a blast in Westport, but it would've been nice to feel out the atmosphere in Castlebar as well. Sounds like I didn't miss too much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Castlebar's pubs and clubs are given below

T.Flynns - Knacker pub, used to be The Cabin but now is full of shams, etc. Best to be avoided

Bucko's - One of the only pubs in town to has live music at least once a week, supposedly has a lovely lunch menu and a good jukebox

BarOne - Check Shirts and wrangler jeans are a must in BarOne, would be a good pub if it had a smoking area, nice lunch menu.

Mc Carthys - Now being run by the dude who ran Prendergasts. Favorite with teachers and priests, good spot for a quiet drink

Coxs - Its clientele ranges from old woman looking for a poke to young underagers drinking naggins in the bathrooms. Dj's every night but sadly most are terrible. Only late bar 7 nights a week in Castlebar so theirs always a mix of people in here

The Lounge - Every Friday, and Saturday. Basically its a late bar but your charged 8yoyos in. Same dj every night who never changes his set list. Only good craic if your fairly loaded

Mantra - 16-46 the club started off well but the bouncers dont give a ****e and so the clientele are mostly young knacks with tracksuits. Very rare to have a good night in their

The Irish House - Student pub, good pub grub, and good special offers on drinks, best avoid the pool table upstairs after hearing some of the stories of a couples having a bit of after hours action on it.

Mulroys - Good food, not as busy as it used to be as bar ritz which is above it only opens for special occasions

Moka - Ok food, bar selection of drink, too far out of town to go for a pint. Nice beer garden though

The Bungalow - Full of the working class of Castlebar, nothing but darts happening in this bar during the week

Bosh - Good food, sadly has lost a lot of its appeal when it first opened as they have relaxed their door policy's

Q.T - 14-19 year old try their best to get in on Fridays and Saturdays, badly laid out club, too far of a walk as well from the popular spots around town. Hasnt been busy since Club Mantra opened many years ago. Is undergoing refurbishment and is opening late August at the same time as the new theater

Their are a few more pubs in Castlebar but most are not my regular haunts so i cannot give an accurate description of these

The Humbert Inn R.I.P

Rowlands R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

I have to just say that c/bar is a kip! I hate the place. It used to be good back in the 90's but downhill since then! The town is full of piss heads that did nothing with there lives!
    If someone asked me where I am from i'd say Westport!

Did anyone read the controversy this thread sparked on the Castlebar BB? Here and here. I fired in a few answers there this morning, but it seems to be pre-moderated now? No harm I suppose.

Kharn wrote: »
    Did anyone read the controversy this thread sparked on the Castlebar BB? Here and here. I fired in a few answers there this morning, but it seems to be pre-moderated now? No harm I suppose.
    That's what made me come over here to see what the fuss was all about.

• Advertisement

Well fair play and welcome to the wonderful world of boards.ie Ashling :)

Thanks Dav.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

www.castlebar.ie
    :mad::mad::confused::eek::(:mad:

OMG- that email from the Mayo Echo was OTT... Can't wait to read this weeks paper! What I request 'I am also seeking any information or data that might identify those persons that contributed these postings, such as time of posting, IP address etc. I am also requesting the identities of the moderators that monitor and vet the postings'. The blame game starts!!!

Best thing for castlebar.ie is to set their server/servers in another country...

F*** that rag of a paper, what a pity, castlebar.ie was a great site, disaster to see it gone.

I still dont see how they can write their damning opinions of certain people, regardless of what may or may not of happened, yet nobody is allowed to discuss anything about them.

I better not say anymore or they might complain to this site too!

Samhain wrote: »
    www.castlebar.ie
    :mad::mad::confused::eek::(:mad:

What the Mayo Echo wrote last week was so so so bad. Take a look for yourselves - make your own mind up- www.mayoecho.com

We live in a sad sad world when a rag can write such bigot comments and then becomes a hypocrite by complaining about the BB. Apparently the Echo only believes in Freedom of Speech for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Gunner5

Yeah Totally agree that Mayo Echo went too far, defence is that people needed to know but this was outrageous!

HOLY SHIT!

This is absolutely unreal. I spent many's the long night helping to get castlebar.ie off the ground back in the day and I spent some time helping the Mayo Echo too as I'm friends with Cresham (Tony Geraghty is his son in law for those that don't know).

I don't know what to say, but it doesn't bode well for the Echo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

What is happening at the lake is not right. But the way the Echo reported it is not right either and then to get castlebar.ie to close is beyond belief. When people get their papers this week they should just leave them back outside their offices.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement