Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin songwriter nights

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 onetrueiago

Gents,

I'm a bit late to this but are the gigs below still running and if so, is it for songwriters only?

Cheers,
    iago
    marlowe wrote: »
    I've just updated the my list of song writer nights in Dublin.

Open mic nights in Dublin

If you know of any others, let me know and I'll add them to the list.

For anyone who's interested, I'm also putting together links to open mic nights in London and Paris:

Open mic nights in London

Open mic nights in Paris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Loula

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for someone to take over the running of an Open Mic Night in Dublin city Centre. If anyone is interested, reply or pm. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 24 decohy

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭antoanto

:D;)BattleoftheAxe.com, Ha'Penny Bridge Inn, Temple Bar, Dublin 2. 0868156987
    SINGER/SONGWRITERS still very much part of the Battle of the Axe with some of the best still mixing it it the comedians! So if you wanna a couple of songs on the open mic your welcome but must text above or email battleoftheaxe@hotmail.com well in advance. Thanks

May/June Dates 2011
    Tuesday May 3rd 2011 9.30pm: Battle of the Axe Open Mic Comedy & Singer/songwriters Club, Kieran Lawless [Bulmers Comedy Award Winner]. Would you like to tell a joke or sing a song! Contact battleoftheaxe.com for details.
    Thursday May 5TH 2011 Battle of the Axe Comedy Club—The Best of Stand-up Comedy with Dublin Comedy Award Winner Gerry McBride as MC and Jarlath Regan[TV3 & The Pannel RTE] + supports.
    Tuesday May 10ND 2011 9.30pm: Battle of the Axe Open Mic Comedy & Singer/songwriters Club – Eleanor Tiernan [The Liffey Laughs & BBC’s One Night Stand]
    Thursday May 12TH 2011 Battle of the Axe Comedy Club—The Monahan arises with MC Barry Mac and well respected comedians Kevin Gildea[RTE/BBC/C4/Father Ted/etc!etc!
    Tuesday May 17TH 2011 9.30pm: Battle of the Axe Open Mic Comedy & Singer/songwriters Club, + open mics with MC Matt Sadlier - Ireland's best kept comedy secret/CBC TV +loads of open mic
    Thursday May 19TH 2011 Battle of the Axe Comedy Club—The Best of Stand-up Comedy with the amazing Sean Flanagan - MC [hot from the Lotto ads and Foil Hogg and Arms] plus Katie Compa +Ruth Miller[From the USA and only 78years young!!]
    Tuesday May 24th 2011 9.30pm: Battle of the Axe Open Mic Comedy & Singer/songwriters Club – with Rory O Hanlon[ The Edinburgh Fest] as MC[This guy is brilliant/just remember where you seen him first!!]
    Thursday May 26TH 2011 Battle of the Axe Comedy Club—with the Best of Stand-up: A great nite for your party
    Tuesday May 31st 2011 9.30pm: Battle of the Axe Open Mic Comedy & Singer/songwriters Club, Aussies loss is Ireland’s best Damo Clarke s MC + open mics. Would you like to tell a joke or sing a song! Contact battleoftheaxe.com for details.
    Thursday June 2nd 2011 Battle of the Axe Comedy Club—The Best of Stand-up Comedy + HA PENNY LAUGH IMPROV COMEDY with MC Aidan Halpen! [These guys are amongst Irelands very best [not Dublin’s but Irelands very best I say again!]
    Tuesday June 7th 2011 9.30pm: Battle of the Axe Open Mic Comedy & Singer/songwriters Club: Kieran Lawless MC plus open mics
    Thursday June 9th 2011 Battle of the Axe Comedy Club: Colm O Regan Headlining + Barry MAC as MC plus supports & open mic
    Tuesday June 14th 2011 9.30pm: Battle of the Axe Open Mic Comedy & Singer/songwriters Club: Have your party here tonight
    Thursday June 16th 2011 Battle of the Axe Comedy Club Guests plus supports: A great party nite out
    Tuesday June 21st 2011 9.30pm: Battle of the Axe Open Mic Comedy & Singer/songwriters Club: Party with music, song ang laughs tonight
    Thursday June 23rd 2011 Battle of the Axe Comedy Club Guests plus supports Celebrate your event tonight
    Tuesday June 28th 2011 9.30pm: Battle of the Axe Open Mic Comedy & Singer/songwriters Club: A great night out with your mates
    Thursday June 30th 2011 Battle of the Axe Comedy Club Guests plus Maureen Younger from the UK: End of the month, time to break out!
    Tuesday July 5th 2011 9.30pm: Battle of the Axe Open Mic Comedy & Singer/songwriters Club:
    Thursday July 7th 2011 Battle of the Axe Comedy Club Guests plus Maureen Younger from the UK
    TUESDAY NIGHTS Battleoftheaxe.com is a club for up and coming acts in the arts field. Every Tuesday night (since 1996 and until the end of time) 9.30pm up-stairs at the Ha’ Penny Bridge Inn, comedians, singer/songwriters, actors, clowns, poets, etc. go to war on the open mic to try and win the Lucky Duck Award at the club, voted by the audience. This is one of the funniest shows in Dublin and will definitely put a smile on your face from ear to ear.
    Thursday Nights 'Battle of the Axe Comedy Club every Thursday Nite with Headline Stand-up,Musical, Improv and Sketch Acts. Established 15years - Ha' Penny Inn, Temple Bar'
    Time: Doors open 9pm till 11.30
    Admission: Tuesdays €9/Students €6.
    Thursdays €9/ Students €7

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Iconwine

Anyone know of any open mic nights or singer songwriter nights that are still going? A lot of the previous links by the poster "Marlowe" are now defunct...? New to the dublin gigging scene so venues like Whelans or the Village would be too big. somewhere that would suit an acoustic sound would be great if anyone knows???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 IHOMITY

Iconwine wrote: »
    Anyone know of any open mic nights or singer songwriter nights that are still going? A lot of the previous links by the poster "Marlowe" are now defunct...? New to the dublin gigging scene so venues like Whelans or the Village would be too big. somewhere that would suit an acoustic sound would be great if anyone knows???

Harbour Bar in Bray is a nice intimate acoustic venue, Thursdays 10pm
    http://harbourbarbray.com/events/2-upcoming-events/1-upcoming-events.html

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mouthforwar93

IHOMITY wrote: »
    Harbour Bar in Bray is a nice intimate acoustic venue, Thursdays 10pm
    http://harbourbarbray.com/events/2-upcoming-events/1-upcoming-events.html

Is this still going? Very interested in attending and playing at an acoustic gig where people can share their own material!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Is this still going? Very interested in attending and playing at an acoustic gig where people can share their own material!

They're on Facebook, drop them a note.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 decohy

Looking for a bass player and lead guitarist to record this song and others.

http://pleroma.bandcamp.com/track/multiply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Melanie77

Hi guys :)
    Check out the open mic running at the Brian Boru pub in Glasnevin (formerly Hedigan's). Lovely venue and Sheila who runs the session is great! You gotta book a slot in advance, think her email is on the pub's website.

Does anybody have experience with the Bleeding Horse sessions on Camden Street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 oisinmccole

There's an open mic starting in Cup, a new cafe on nassau street. It'll be on every Saturday afternoon from 2.30 until 5. It's starting next Saturday (14-4-12) and everyone and anyone is welcome to play a few songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 khaled71

Hi Marlowe,

Do you know any lyricists who would be interested in writing about world issues, eg, human rights, ploitics, weapon trade...etc.

Thanks
    Khaled

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Melanie77 wrote: »
    Does anybody have experience with the Bleeding Horse sessions on Camden Street?

Yes. The two lads that run it (Fiach and John) are really cool and there is no clique-y aspect to it. They're on Facebook and I'd recommend artists of any ability/experience to drop down and play.

I've had some great craic there and great feedback/learning at the night.

The trick is not staying all night and not being able to get up on the Monday morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭up'Chuck

http://www.dublinsessions.ie/singersongwriters.html

found this looking for the bleeding horse sessions, just being sound... we're all in this together.

p.s. i played the battle of the axe two years ago. they dont provide an amp, just a plug into the P.A and play situation. but the organizers' were nice if i remember and i met Neil delamere warming up in the fire escape stairs/green room.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Sad to report the open mic at the Brian Boru has finished up!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 therattler

Cheerts Marlowe

Open Mic @ Battle of the Axe
    NEW ACTS ALWAYS WELCOME at the Battle of the Axe every Tuesday night to compete for the lucky duck award and certificate voted for by the audience. However this is a very busy night for acts so these days you have to book your slot well in advance. Just log onto web site below for email and telephone number details to register. We cater for singer/songwriters, small semi acoustic bands, comedians, poets, slam poetry, magicians, etc. Nights have included Paddy Casey, Dave McSavage, Jim Owen, Foil Hogg and Arms, Niamh Marron [Funny Girls UK finalist 2012] who have all regularly thread the boards of the club.

Many thanks,
    Tony Ferns - Producer
    BattleoftheAxe [Established 16 years]
    Ha Penny Bridge Inn
    Temple Bar

www.battleoftheaxe.com

• Registered Users Posts: 43 marlowe

I've put up a new listing of Dublin nights at this page here

http://www.themondayecho.com/links/

good work

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CathyMc176

Hey folks!

I'm trying to get a music scene going in Arklow, Co. Wicklow. I have my work cut out for me!! But I'm starting an Open Mic on the 21st of September on lower main street in a new wine & craft beer bar we call ' Club 82'. Here's the link to the event http://www.facebook.com/ClubEightyTwo#!/events/363112517100234/ All welcome, to take part or just to watch. We'd love to see some new faces and new talents :) If anyone has any suggestions as to how to spread the word to musicians/performers I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks a million!
    Cathy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Ideo

There's an open mic starting in Cup, a new cafe on nassau street. It'll be on every Saturday afternoon from 2.30 until 5. It's starting next Saturday (14-4-12) and everyone and anyone is welcome to play a few songs.

Is this still going? Might pop along if so!

Nope, it's not on anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Got A John Frusciante

Hi guys, looking to get involved in some open night stuff.. just wondering what the general policy is on covers at these kind of things? I have some originals but would like to throw in a good few covers too or would that be frowned upon?

In my experience most places are grand with covers, it's really up to yourself. You'll get between 1-4 songs so it's good to know before you go up how many songs you can play. That way you can decide how many covers/originals you want to do. I think people are always happy to hear an original take on a song or just a popular song played well. The good thing about playing your own stuff is nobody can tell when you make a mistake. Hope that helps, and good luck to you =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SupermanXIII

Hey lads,

Does anyone know which open mic nights are still up and running in Dublin city centre? The list seems to be a fair bit out of date. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

Anything in Maynooth or Leixlip?

btw the list seems to be broken now, might need a new home

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Evil Robot

I like writing songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dar93ragh

me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dar93ragh

Lovely songs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Open mic nights in Dublin

Monday Nights - Sin É Ormond Quay Dublin

Tuesday Nights - O'Donoghues Suffolk Street Dublin

Sunday Nights - The Bleeding Horse Camden Street Dublin

Advertisement