Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegan and Vegetarian Recipes and Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Lots of (vegan) recipes are on the VBites website. Including recipes for vegan burger, lasagne, Tikka Masala... yum yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CabbageThing

images%3Fq%3Dburgers%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D549%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C54&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=524&vpy=191&dur=597&hovh=161&hovw=215&tx=153&ty=81&ei=2kBfTPmlEoeD4QbBsa3TBw&oei=2kBfTPmlEoeD4QbBsa3TBw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0&biw=1024&bih=549

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

www.thefoodinmybeard.com

Not an exclusively veggie site and it shows (he'll include parmesan and even fish sometimes, bless him), but some of the vegetarian recipes on here are delicious, the chickpea curry and vegan chilli I can vouch for very enthusiastically :D (<like that). Pictures and all, nyom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Cloee

my favourite site of all is

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

delicious!

Lots of recipes available on this website. The recipes look easy to follow.
    You can search by ingredient here: http://www.vegetarianrecipeclub.org.uk/recipes/search.php
    Or just read through the list: http://www.vegetarianrecipeclub.org.uk/recipes/searchresults.php?all=yes
    96.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Lots of recipes available on this website. The recipes look easy to follow.
    You can search by ingredient here: http://www.vegetarianrecipeclub.org.uk/recipes/search.php
    Or just read through the list: http://www.vegetarianrecipeclub.org.uk/recipes/searchresults.php?all=yes
    96.jpg

^ Thanks for that, theres a few easy ones to follow. I'm a bit of a lazy veggie, and always wind up eating plain bowls of veg / salad. I needed a few ideas, I'll be trying out a few of them I think! Cauliflower cheeze and the chinese wraps for starters, and the beany hotpot looks good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Does anyone have a nice recipe for a lentil pate like this one, I don't fancy adding the egg and any vegan or others I've found call for lots of ingredients I don't have the money to buy or are bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭da_shivsta

http://www.parentsconnect.com/parenting/vegetarian-recipes.html?page=4

loads of ideas handy for anyone cooking for kids aswell, there are lots of easy dishes here i use this a lot for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jinksdub

No link, i'll post any i find but just to thank everyone so far that has put up links here as they're very useful and helps with variety in the veggie diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

i wasn't sure where to put this, for the past 3 weeks [today is the 4th of 4], the guardian has been doing a baking recipe without dairy or eggs, i meant to post up when i first saw it in the paper, but you can get all 4 on the website, sounds very yum, especially the boozy apple pie :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/mar/12/mocha-fig-muffins-recipe-lepard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I love this site! It's just a few incredibly simple vegan recipes. Like, 10 minute meals... and we all have our lazy days. Nom.

The Vegan Stoner/

bythewoods wrote: »
    I love this site! It's just a few incredibly simple vegan recipes. Like, 10 minute meals... and we all have our lazy days. Nom.

The Vegan Stoner/

Such a beautiful site! Illustrations and directions are great. Thank you bythewoods :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 amitsingh30

<snip>

Enough advertising from you thank you! And a bit of contribution to the forum is due :P

sweet-rasmus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bcvdbgfs

Ingredients for the salad of cabbage, cucumber and celery:
    # Cabbage: 300 gr.
    # Cucumbers: 1-2 pcs.
    # Celery: 2 stalks.
    # Bow: 1 pc.
    # Olive oil: 3 tbsp
    # Juice of half a lemon.
    # Salt: to taste.

Salad Recipes:
    # Cabbage shred finely, a little salt and mash to highlight the juice.
    # Cucumbers and celery cut arbitrarily.
    # Onions cut semirings.
    # All put in a bowl, add lemon juice and fill a good olive oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bcvdbgfs

Ingredients
    4 large tomatoes
    1 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp dried leaf basil
    1/4 tsp salt
    a dash of pepper
    1 cup soft bread crumbs
    2 tbsp melted butter
    1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese

Cut stem ends off tomatoes and cut each tomato into 2 thick slices. Put on broiler rack.

Combine sugar,basil,salt and pepper and sprinkle little of mixture on each tomato slice.slip under hot broiler and broil 2 minutes.

add bread crumbs to melted butter and toss lightly with a fork. add blue cheese and toss again lightly.spoon on tomato slices and slip under broiler until crumbs are nicely browned,about 1 minute.serve immediately.enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Just caught an episode of come dine with me there with a Vegan on it who served up vegan japanese dishes if anyone is interested...

http://www.channel4.com/4food/on-tv/come-dine-with-me/come-dine-with-me-extras/donna-thomas-menu

Just click on any of the dishes for the recipe :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Just caught an episode of come dine with me there with a Vegan on it who served up vegan japanese dishes if anyone is interested...

http://www.channel4.com/4food/on-tv/come-dine-with-me/come-dine-with-me-extras/donna-thomas-menu

Just click on any of the dishes for the recipe :)

ooooh, how did she do voting wise? what they say about any fake meat if there was any? /looks a link

ooooh, how did she do voting wise? what they say about any fake meat if there was any? /looks a link

ah you know what I started watching in the middle of one, then remembered I was recording them at same time so started watching that but the thing filled up and so I missed loads of the other people. Ill catch the rest online. But some of the others made vegan things too to suit her.
    Tbh I'd say I wouldnt even like what she made, but just in case anyone else did.
    I did see her using the exact same tinned mock duck I had from the asian shop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hmm the dishes look odd all right and she says she has some fake meat made my monks toes, lol.

toe-fu

edit: Tar you're such a doofus, you do realise page 2 of this started on 2009, now you have an extra pg of spam. :P

• Advertisement

Yes, they made that joke too -_-

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Some of the recipes here look nice!

http://www.vegetarianized.com/search/label/soup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I've been meaning to share this simple Vegan mayonaise..so here it is :)

Eggless Vegan Mayonnaise Recipe
    Ingredients:
    • 3 tbsp lemon juice
    • 1/2 cup soy milk
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 1/4 tsp paprika
    • 1/4 tsp mustard
    • 6 tbsp vegetable oil
    Preparation:

Put all the ingredients except the oil in a blender. Blend on the lowest speed. Gradually - one drop at a time - add the oil until the mixture starts to thicken. Continue blending until thickened and smooth. Transfer to a jar and store in the fridge.

I used it today with lovely burgers from this recipie.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/veggie-burgers-with-mushrooms-recipe/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Just got this right last night and went down very well with people, feeds 4

Ingredients
    • 4 large potatoes sliced
    • half a red onion
    • 4 linda mcCartney sausages or other vegan fake meat thing
    • 3 tablespoons vegan marg
    • 3 cups soy milk
    • 2 and a half tablespoons of flour
    • 2 teaspoons nutmeg
    • paprika
    • yeast flakes
    Pre heat oven at 200C

Oil a caserole dish or a similar container. create one layer of sliced spuds. On top of that lay the sliced onion, chop the sausages and thow them in. splinkle with paprika then make a second layer of sliced spuds.

for the sauce, melt the marge in a pot then mix the flour in. add the milk, yeast flakes and the nutmeg (some prefer more than 2 teapsoon), bring to the boil and simmer until the sauce has thinkened up. Pour over the dish and throw it in the oven and bake for about 30 - 45 minutes until the potatoes are soft and the top is nicely browned.

side dish.

goes really well with garlic spinach. 1 bag of baby spinach, chop 3 cloves of garlic finely, bit of salt. throw in all into a steamer for 5 minutes. and done!

Made this last night and turned out pretty good.

Ingredients
    • Bag of spinach, I use normal rather than baby spinach for this
    • 3 potatoes diced into bit size
    • 6 mushrooms sliced
    • tsp ground cumin
    • tsp ground corriander
    • 1 green chili
    • 1 clove garlic
    • tsp chopped ginger
    • soya cream
    • tsp garam masala (can get away without this if you cant find it but is better with it)
    prep and cook time 15-25 minutes, feeds two.

boil the potatoes until about 3 quaters cooked. you want to do this last little bit in the spinach and to do it from the start is a pain in the hole.

chop the spinach as fine as you can, you dont need to go mad as you will blend it slightly later. heat some oil in a pan and chuck in the chopped pepper, garlic and ginger. when the garlic starts to brown mix in the cumin and corander. mix a bit so you dont have any big clumps. throw in the spinach and the garam masala, you may need to add a drop of water to help the spinach along.

when the spinach is mostly ccoked, blend lightly with a blender if youve got one. you dont want it a soup but you dont want it dry so a dash of soy cream here helps too.

then throw in the mushrooms and when theyre cooked throw in the potatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes.

discover last night that in the absence of naan and if youre sick of rice like me, it goes really well with whole grain wraps used as chapatis

Ok Ok. I know there are other ingredients than potatoes and spinach but goddamn em i love em!

ok decided to get adventurous and try gnocchi. i had never made dough before and just bought myself a blender after years of a massive phobia of appliance shopping. it turned out so well im having it again tonight.

Ingredients.

3 potatoes
    2 cups flour (i used spelt but i dont think it matters
    olive oil
    3 cloves of garlic
    1 cup of basil (1 packet of fresh basil worked)
    1 bag of spinach
    2 portobello mushrooms (optional)

prep and cooking time: 20 minutes

serves: 2

gnocchi
    boil the potatoes until theyre ready to mash, drain them and let them cool down a bit. some like to run cold water over them but i let the steam get rid of excess water so the dough wouldnt be too stciky. add in flour bit by bit and nead in a large bowl until you get a nice dough thats not too sticky. roll out the dough into a snake thats about a centimetre and a half in diametre. cut into sections about an inch and a half long and fold them over onto themselves. put aside for later.

sauce
    steam the spinach until cooked properly. mix chopped garlic, basil, 3 tablespoons oil and the spinach with a little salt and pepper in a blender for a few seconds until its still a little leafy but not a soup.

fry the mushrooms in a saucepan if youve decided to use them. boil a pan of water and drop the gnocchi in. they should sink to the bottom first and when theyve floated to the top, theyre cooked. should take about 1-2 minutes.

throw it all in with the mushrooms and stir for a bit. then youre done!

goes really well with leftover beer and 'hobo with a shotgun' dvd

I have to point out the last few recipies thrown up here have been due to a little project of mine to become a better cook. Previously I had about 4 things i would make regularly but after a trip to prague and some of the best veggie food ever I decided that it wasnt enough.

But winter is creeping in and sometimes you just want to thrown something under the grill. so i made up a load of veggie burgers and threw em in the freezer to take out whenever i want.

Ingredients

2 tins of chickpeas
    1 and a half teaspoons of cumin
    1 and a half teaspoons of ground coriander
    1 teaspoon of garam masala
    1 red onion
    fresh coriander
    oliver oil
    chilli flakes

prep time 3 minutes. makes 4 burgers

cut the onions very fine and cook them with a drop of oil and half a teaspoon of the spices. one cooked blend with the chickpeas and all the other ingredients with a drop of olive oil.

form into patties, wrap in tin foil and feeze em. result, yummy spicey vegan burgers at your fingertips. goes well with club orange

Just in the process of making these but I cant get them to stick as patties :( I mashed half the mixture and made 2 burgers that way. They taste lovely but really didnt stay as burgers. I used some sweet chilli sauce with them.

chucken1 wrote: »
    Just in the process of making these but I cant get them to stick as patties :( I mashed half the mixture and made 2 burgers that way. They taste lovely but really didnt stay as burgers. I used some sweet chilli sauce with them.

aw thats a shame. when all mashed up was it sticky or crumbly? other recipies ive seen have used breadcrumps to stick them together

• Advertisement

I didnt mash it totally,just to make the chickpeas more crumbly.

They are lovely..dont get me wrong but I dont want to start adding stuff cos Im afraid it will loose the taste. The chilli sauce is lovely with them.
    Thumbs up for a nice fast tasty dish :D

Advertisement