Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus route 27 - timetable totally wrong!

• 18-10-2011 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what the story is with the 27 bus since the routes have changed? The timetables were changed too, but they appear to be totally inaccurate! I alwaya end up having to leave way too early for work because even though the new timetable says it's every 10 minutes when I'm leaving for work, it takes on average 40 minutes! Coming home at night is even worse! It's meant to leave Eden Quay at X time (can't remember off the top of my head), which would mean a 10-15 minute wait when I get to the stop, but I'm always waiting between 37-45 minutes!

Are there just not enough drivers or something? It's getting really annoying that the new timetables are totally inaccurate!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with the 27 bus since the routes have changed? The timetables were changed too, but they appear to be totally inaccurate! I alwaya end up having to leave way too early for work because even though the new timetable says it's every 10 minutes when I'm leaving for work, it takes on average 40 minutes! Coming home at night is even worse! It's meant to leave Eden Quay at X time (can't remember off the top of my head), which would mean a 10-15 minute wait when I get to the stop, but I'm always waiting between 37-45 minutes!

Are there just not enough drivers or something? It's getting really annoying that the new timetables are totally inaccurate!

Yesterday evening I got the wonderful sight of 4 27's within 5 minutes of each other on Crumlin Road (heading outboud to Tallaght), I think they have the running time incorrect judging by that. So there aren't enough buses on when needed.

Also the length of the journey needs to be taken into account/looked at, it must be one of the longest journeys by kilometre that DB have.

Another symptom of Network Direct, just like the 14 / 13 which are also having problems I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭SteM

Yesterday evening I got the wonderful sight of 4 27's within 5 minutes of each other on Crumlin Road (heading outboud to Tallaght), I think they have the running time incorrect judging by that. So there aren't enough buses on when needed.

Also the length of the journey needs to be taken into account/looked at, it must be one of the longest journeys by kilometre that DB have.

Another symptom of Network Direct, just like the 14 / 13 which are also having problems I believe.

It's a common occurrence that at least 2 27s are bunched up by Walkinstown now. I hope DB are looking at that route because it's been a disaster since it's introduction as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mymalovesme

Mailed Dublin Bus about this yesterday. However I am coming from the 77A persepective. I checked the realtime yesterday afternoon and did a screen shot. It showed six 27's before the next 77A was due (at a crumlin road stop) ... I understand they have cutbacks etc .. but they can't stand by that kind of idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need to start looking at the RTPI and to a degree, ignore the timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Victor wrote: »

That's no use though if you finish work at 5 and don't see a bus until 5.50. The point of ND was better connections and higher frequency on trunk routes. With the issues the 13,14 and 27 have experienced that has been shown up as a lie. So watch as DB lose more customers and end up making more cuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That ignores the fact that if the timetables had sufficient running time this sort of nonsense would not be happening.
    That's no use though if you finish work at 5 and don't see a bus until 5.50. The point of ND was better connections and higher frequency on trunk routes. With the issues the 13,14 and 27 have experienced that has been shown up as a lie. So watch as DB lose more customers and end up making more cuts

I don't think that is quite the correct interpretation. The rosters backing up the timetable are the problem here - there is obviously insufficient running time for the buses to get from one terminus to the other which is then causing knock-on delays.

They need a rapid recast with additional running time to ensure that the timetable is deliverable. That in itself can take time as rosters have to be agreed by drivers and the schedules approved by the NTA.

To say that longer routes can't work is not correct. The 46a and 145 are now reliable services since their rosters were recast - that's what's needed for the 13, 27 and 77a.

Both the 11 and 14 by and large are reliable - it is just at certain peak times that some journeys need additional running time since the colleges returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

That's no use though if you finish work at 5 and don't see a bus until 5.50.

Well that's the thing about RTPI, it is a good thing and certainly makes things more user friendly but it won't make your bus arrive quicker or get you home earlier.

The point of ND was better connections and higher frequency on trunk routes.

Well that was never really the case, it was always about trying to package service cuts in a way that the management hoped would allow them get more for less.

The problem with all that is cross-city routes are doubly hammered by the unpredictability of Dublin traffic and need a lot of recovery time at termini in order to have any chance of keeping reasonable frequency gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

John R wrote: »
    Well that's the thing about RTPI, it is a good thing and certainly makes things more user friendly but it won't make your bus arrive quicker or get you home earlier.
    Sure, but it means you can look at other options, e.g. different route, work a bit late or get some shopping done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Sure, but it means you can look at other options, e.g. different route, work a bit late or get some shopping done.

That is true but for what must be a high % of people not relevant as many will not have the option of multiple routes or flexi-working.

I am not knocking RTPI, it is a great improvement and certainly worth the investment but it is only one part of the picture, without enough buses at high enough frequencies the service will not be good enough no matter how much information is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Ì'd have to agree - the responsibility on DB when implementing these changes is to deliver a reliable service - and if they don't, then they need to correct it asap.

I still firmly believe that, provided the timetables are delivered reliably, the ND changes will deliver a better service. But if they don't deliver the advertised service they end up unnecessarily annoying customers.

As John R says, RTPI is only one part of the package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Hey guys, sorry to re-route this thread. Does anyone know how long the 27 would take to get to tallagh hospital area from town-trinity area say? Currently getting a bus and a luas to the hospital for college, and I'm afraid to take the 27 for fear of it taking 2 hours or some awful time... :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭KD345

theowen wrote: »
    Hey guys, sorry to re-route this thread. Does anyone know how long the 27 would take to get to tallagh hospital area from town-trinity area say? Currently getting a bus and a luas to the hospital for college, and I'm afraid to take the 27 for fear of it taking 2 hours or some awful time... :P.

The 27 takes about 40-45 minutes off peak, and I'd allow about 55 minutes at rush hour. If you're coming from College Green, you can also take the 49, 54A, 65, 65B or 77A, although the 49 and 77A take a bit longer due to their routing.

Advertisement