Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hide Concrete Wall

• 03-06-2010 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I have an enormous eyesore of a concrete block wall surrounging my yard. I've been thinking of ways to cover it up. The wall is damp and damaged in places so it would be difficult and expensive to plaster. I was thinking about growing climbing plants up along it and was wondering how effective this would be at hiding the wall. Are there any plants which would be best suited for this task? How long would it take before the results would show? Are there any, more effective alternatives which won't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would use concrete nails to fix either plastic mesh or wire to the wall.
    Put either growbags on the ground or make a bed and grow some climbers like Jasmine on it. You could also try growing beans they grow quick and give nice cover plus you get some food out of it!
    What aspect is the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 iPac

Grow bags, now there's an idea. I actually have plastic mesh so that could do the trick. Only thing is would plants like jasmine or beans hide the wall year round or would they be capable of stretching the entire wall. The wall is about 12' high and about 200 yards long.

From my research fig creepers seem to do an excellent job of hiding large walls but I'm not sure how well they grow in Ireland or how long it would take or if they need much maintenance? Other people have suggested Ivy but again I'm not sure how effective ivy is at covering entire walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

How about a close fitting timer fence, kinda like what you would but around an oil tank? Should do the job nicely imo.

I like that idea fingers, I think it might work out very expensive though? After all the wall is quite tall and is very long. But I do think it would look well. Would wood cladding work out any cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Not sure if there'd be much difference in the price tbh, as it will all need to be pressure treated anyway. Cladding might be cheaper

Personally, I'd go with the the fence idea, or gaps between the clad instead of overlap cladding as overlap will cover the whole wall, and if you needed to remove one or two because of rot / damage etc.. it'll be easier. It won't be cheap, but it would look well once its up, with dark lines running between the boards I think it'll look the business.

• Advertisement

I'm still not sure, I don't have a huge amount of money to be spashing on the wall, I also have to renovate the garden and between building a much needed fuel shed and hiding this wall I can't see there being much money left over to do everything else that needs doing.

Maybe I should just go with the climbers idea? I would really like to learn more about this creeping fig, it appears to be the ideal solution. It is commonly used in the U.S for such tasks and works well, but I am yet to see it in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Jasmine will cover it, but you will need a few plants and it will take a year or 2.
    Ivy would probably be quicker/cheaper but not as nice to look at.

Are you sure you couldnt just rough plaster/parge it?

Ah it would be an expensive job to plaster it, the wall would need some serious repairs first, between damp and dodgy block work. Then even after it's plastered It would have to be painted yearly, more money and time.

I like the idea of jasmine, ivy and maybe another few climbers growing together up the wall. I think I might go ahead with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

iPac wrote: »
    Ah it would be an expensive job to plaster it, the wall would need some serious repairs first, between damp and dodgy block work. Then even after it's plastered It would have to be painted yearly, more money and time.

I like the idea of jasmine, ivy and maybe another few climbers growing together up the wall. I think I might go ahead with that.
    limestone white cement mix with a good pebel dash. SORTED

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ronan0

There's well priced big lattice frames in B&Q. Out in garden centre, down the large building aisles. They'd look good on their own, they're very sturdy and permanent, and ten you can let your plants grow up them in their own time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

I like that idea fingers, I think it might work out very expensive though? After all the wall is quite tall and is very long. But I do think it would look well. Would wood cladding work out any cheaper?
    If you like the idea of the wood-effect and if you're anyway handy with a drill and a few (hundred) screws, I'm sure you can pick up some discarded wood in skips or in the Bring Centres, then just baton the wall and away you go!

I did exactly that with an ugly concrete block wall a couple years ago, using the salvageable parts of a wooden shed and as much wood as I could get from skips, then painted on a good preservative and let next door's ivy climb over to soften the look.
    Very happy with the job, tbh, and even in winter it has a warm look to it.

Thanks for the ideas guys, i've put up some lattice frames and planted a lot of plants. It already looks miles better, and I've been informed that by this time next year I will have beautiful green rambling plants to look forward to instead of being offended by a hideous, dull concrete wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I have an enormous eyesore of a concrete block wall surrounging my yard. I've been thinking of ways to cover it up. The wall is damp and damaged in places so it would be difficult and expensive to plaster. I was thinking about growing climbing plants up along it and was wondering how effective this would be at hiding the wall. Are there any plants which would be best suited for this task? How long would it take before the results would show? Are there any, more effective alternatives which won't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

We have concrete grey walls at the back of our garden. We painted these and then used bamboo/reed covering. Looks much better. Can buy it in woodies or most other DIY shops.

Xcellor wrote: »
    We have concrete grey walls at the back of our garden. We painted these and then used bamboo/reed covering. Looks much better. Can buy it in woodies or most other DIY shops.

Did it cost much to do the whole wall can you remember? what size was your wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Did it cost much to do the whole wall can you remember? what size was your wall?

Hmm probably 10 wide x 2m high so 20 sq meters of area. Exterior dulux paint (we bought the large tub 10 litres) was about 45 euros. Not really expensive.

With a roller the job can be done in no time at all...

The bamboo screening cost more usually you get in rolls of 4-5meters its about 30-40 euro per roll.

Advertisement