Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Self driving buses, trains, trucks etc

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

cnocbui wrote: »
    If you want to use US stats, be my guest.

Both fatal Tesla Accidents were while autopilot was engaged. Whoops, I missed the death in China so make that two confirmed, one probable, so likely 4 in all.

You are kidding yourself if you think the two incident's being investigated aren't the fault of the autonomous sytems.

All right. So 4 deaths, caused by prototype beta systems that were meant to be supervised at the time of the incident, but weren't due to driver innatention.

Zero caused by fully autonomous because they're as yet unreleased.

Stagecoach gives trial to UK's first full-sized driverless bus

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jul/23/stagecoach-gives-trial-to-uk-first-full-sized-driverless-bus

Granted the bus will only be moving in the depot and not on the roads, its another step towards fully autonomous bus fleets.

At this rate I'd say it'll be the norm a hell of a lot faster than people expect

SELF-DRIVING TRUCKS ARE NOW DELIVERING REFRIGERATORS

https://www.wired.com/story/embark-self-driving-truck-deliveries/amp

Driving 650 miles, albeit with a human on board to monitor for now, since October 2017, autonomous trucks have been hauling Frigidaire refrigerators along the I-10 freeway, from a El Paso, Texas, to Palm Springs, California.

The amount of trials of autonomous buses is growing with more and more cities around the world beginning their own trials

Australia - The NSW government is rolling out a trial of driverless vehicles in the mid-north coast tourism destination Coffs Harbour.
    Read more at https://www.businessinsider.com.au/nsw-trial-autonomous-bus-2018-7#VWL8gvcV53f3xBf7.99

Canada - Montreal City announces pilot project for self-driving shuttle buses https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/city-announces-pilot-project-for-autonomous-buses

France - Macron appointed a senior official, Anne-Marie Idrac, to develop a national strategy for driverless mobility – including new laws, regulations for experiments and pilot projects, and cybersecurity and privacy issues. http://europe.autonews.com/article/20180808/ANE/180809840?template=mobile02&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

New York - https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/18/coast-autonomous-shuttle-new-york/?guccounter=1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think it's becoming more and more obvious that fully autonomous cars are a lot further away than their advocates think. Waymo have by far the most credible program and it looks like their cars still aren't even close to being as good as a human.
    I hate them': Locals reportedly frustrated with Alphabet's self-driving cars

One woman said that she almost hit one of the company's minivans because it suddenly stopped while trying to make a right turn, while another man said that he gets so frustrated waiting for the cars to cross the intersection that he has illegally driven around them.

The anecdotes highlight how challenging it can be for self-driving cars, which are programmed to drive conservatively, to master situations that human drivers can handle with relative ease, like merging or finding a gap in traffic to make a turn.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/28/locals-reportedly-frustrated-with-alphabets-waymo-self-driving-cars.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, I think is more like a problem with the non-autonomous cars, which are getting "frustrated" and being "illegally driven around them".
    When all of those will be gone, merging and going through a junction will be much faster and safer than before.
    You can't expect them to behave just like the human drivers, what will be the point of having them then?

There was a recent article suggesting pedestrians would have to radically change their behaviour in order to enable self driving cars.

I learned to drive and then drove in a country where pedestrians always have right of way. I think it is the only sane approach and can't understand the US where pedestrians are considered fair game and are only avoided because of the cost of repairing dents.
    To Get Ready for Robot Driving, Some Want to Reprogram Pedestrians

Researchers bemoan human unpredictability and back the kind of campaigns that helped Germany cut jaywalking fatalities.

Cordell wrote: »
    No, I think is more like a problem with the non-autonomous cars, which are getting "frustrated" and being "illegally driven around them".
    When all of those will be gone, merging and going through a junction will be much faster and safer than before.
    You can't expect them to behave just like the human drivers, what will be the point of having them then?

They are not going to be gone. The problem is clearly that self driving cars are not up to the job and wont be for quite some time - if ever.

Personally I think driving safely requires general intelligence and so will not be achievable generally as real AI is not even on the horizon.

They will be gone, not at once, but gradually. Soon enough things like lane keeping, automatic braking and adaptive cruise control will be mandatory, and that is the direction they will be taking. Next will be something like the TCAS the planes have, and so on. Cars already take away the control when needed, with mandatory technologies like ABS and ESP, so it already started.

• Advertisement

The tipping point for personal vehicles will be insurance. Once there is a sufficient amount of vehicles capable of autonomous driving, if you don't use it, then you will have to pay a horrendous premium. The caveat being the driver will likely retain control when on boreens etc

Autonomous transport is coming, it's just a matter of when.

The first change will be in long haul trucking

Next will be public transport

Next will be in shipping

Then personal transport

Finally, flight

"They" said a lot of things couldn't be done (cars, aviation, space travel, etc etc), but really, all it takes is for a market to exist and enough willpower to see it through

There is simply too much money to be made and savings achieved and efficiencies gained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

The tipping point for personal vehicles will be insurance. Once there is a sufficient amount of vehicles capable of autonomous driving, if you don't use it, then you will have to pay a horrendous premium. The caveat being the driver will likely retain control when on boreens etc

Autonomous transport is coming, it's just a matter of when.

The first change will be in long haul trucking

Next will be public transport

Next will be in shipping

Then personal transport

Finally, flight

"They" said a lot of things couldn't be done (cars, aviation, space travel, etc etc), but really, all it takes is for a market to exist and enough willpower to see it through

There is simply too much money to be made and savings achieved and efficiencies gained.

It will happen. But none of us posting here now will be alive to see it. The technology is still decades away from even being acceptable for everyday use.

Also the road markings need to be clean and readable by the AI.

Self driving vehicles dont like puddles!

The road vehicle, aircraft & space travel advances came about through wars and military needs. When the Germans flew the worlds first jet, it was a fighter plane. The first space going rocket was a WW2 German ballistic missile.

Jet passenger aircraft and visiting the moon were well down on the list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

prinzeugen wrote: »
    It will happen. But none of us posting here now will be alive to see it.
    i'm 42, so maybe (hopefully?) have another 42 years to live.
    when i was born, it was the year the first apple was released, which had 8kb of memory. now, your standard computer has one *million* times as much memory.

your lack of faith in technology is interesting.
    actually, faith is the wrong word. we've gone from zero to the current point in probably less than a decade, where autonomous cars are driving on roads, albeit in limited or restricted circumstances, but you're still shouting at the tide.

self driving cars will happen; my main concern is that society should dictate the technology rather than the technology dictating to society.

i'm 42, so maybe (hopefully?) have another 42 years to live.
    when i was born, it was the year the first apple was released, which had 8kb of memory. now, your standard computer has one *million* times as much memory.

your lack of faith in technology is interesting.
    actually, faith is the wrong word. we've gone from zero to the current point in probably less than a decade, where autonomous cars are driving on roads, albeit in limited or restricted circumstances, but you're still shouting at the tide.

self driving cars will happen; my main concern is that society should dictate the technology rather than the technology dictating to society.

Your use of the word 'faith is telling. The notion that there have been significant advances in science and technology in the recent past, therefore there absolutely will be success for this particular technology, is logically fallacious and is akin to religious faith. It ignores all the failures of technology and science. It's classic cherry-picking.

Apple bought the rights for the use of liquid metals in consumer products. They never did anything with it beyond making an expensive SIM ejector tool. Clearly they had a vision for something more than that, but it didn't pan out. They sunk millions into GT Advanced Technology for the promise of making sapphire for phone screens in large quantities, cheaply. That venture failed spectacularly.

Current Intel CPUs are so riddled with fundamental vulnerabilities, that really patching them would likely see performance drop more than 50%.

The Italians built a bridge designed to last at least a 100 years...

The US has sunk Billions into the F35 fighter program, it would seem, on exactly the same sort of techno-faith that so many autonomous driving boosters display with their baseless 'will happen' pronouncements. The F35 was envisaged as having a myriad of very advanced systems all integrated into a seamless super-system by software. The reality is they can't write that software.

The US Space Shuttle program was predicated on the promise of re-usability drastically reducing launch costs. From that aspect, it was a complete failure.

I remember when the Concorde was in regular service, pronouncements that soon there would be hypersonic travel - London to Sydney in 2 hours, no less. Hows that looking, 40 years on?

Side splitting comedy that - today you can't even fly supersonic, even if you are a billionaire - you could back in the 70's!

Limitless energy from fusion reactors is just around the corner, just as it was back in the 70's

Cherry picking technological success stories, while ignoring failures, is self-delusion.

As I said, I think driving is a far more complicated task than people give it credit for and autonomous driving will require nothing less than real AI, not all the garbage being touted as AI of late, which isn't even close.

People who think humans are bad drivers and need to be replaced by fault-free perfect and shiny technology, are talking out their 4rse. The fatality rate versus distance driven is actually remarkably low. Humans are generally very good drivers, actually.

you did notice that i said the use of the word 'faith' was the wrong word.

anyway, many of your examples are blaming the technology when it's the *implementation* to blame.
    the italian bridge collapse is a failure of technology? please; it's almost certainly a result of shoddy workmanship and corruption.

Technology managed to get an unmanned probe on Mars and one out of the solar system (among others) so I don't find his faith in technology misplaced.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Technology managed to get an unmanned probe on Mars and one out of the solar system (among others) so I don't find his faith in technology misplaced.

It managed to get ONE on Mars and a few crashed onto the surface. It managed to get TWO probes out of the solar system.

Neither had to deal with the idiots that drive on the M50 jumping from lane to lane and bullying their way into a turn off lane.

At least in space, you are alone.

I'm talking about the level of complexity and the extent of the technological advancement. I'm quite sure that the technology is there today, but not the cost and political desire to make it happen - who's going to pay for the technology and who's going to support a technology that will make professional drivers redundant?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Looks like Dublin is getting its self driving buses a little earlier than expected.

Like next month.

https://www.techcentral.ie/dublin-docklands-gets-ready-self-driving-bus-trial/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Looks like Dublin is getting its self driving buses a little earlier than expected.

Like next month.

https://www.techcentral.ie/dublin-docklands-gets-ready-self-driving-bus-trial/

Novelty fairground attraction by the looks of it. You could probably walk faster than it.

who's going to support a technology that will make professional drivers redundant?
    eh, the people who would otherwise have to pay the drivers, i guess.

Unfortunately that is happening. Technology is dictating how society does things.

Dublin Bus going cashless for example.

I hate these people (and there are a few here on boards) that say "you are a van/taxi/bus driver, you better retrain as you wont have a job in 2 years. It will all be self driving" .

Bollox. Humans flew to the moon. AI (in Tesla cars anyway) flies you into the central reservation of a freeway/motorway and kills you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Bollox. Humans flew to the moon. AI (in Tesla cars anyway) flies you into the central reservation of a freeway/motorway and kills you.

Yep, but statistically less than people do it to themselves.

Also Tesla is not AI.

I don't buy that we're going to have roads full of autonomous cars in 5 years. I do buy that the technology will have matured and be on limited release, in a similar manner as it is now.

The advances in autonomous driving in the last decade have been huge. That can't be denied. But the devil is in the detail and it'll take years to iron out bugs.

Yep, but statistically less than people do it to themselves.

Also Tesla is not AI.

I don't buy that we're going to have roads full of autonomous cars in 5 years. I do buy that the technology will have matured and be on limited release, in a similar manner as it is now.

The advances in autonomous driving in the last decade have been huge. That can't be denied. But the devil is in the detail and it'll take years to iron out bugs.

Tesla can be AI. And kills people.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/may/29/tesla-crash-autopilot-california-police-car

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

Not sure what kind of technology is behind self driving cars but there are lots of Youtube videos show casing what machine learning can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V2sX9BhAW8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Unfortunately that is happening. Technology is dictating how society does things.

Dublin Bus going cashless for example.

I hate these people (and there are a few here on boards) that say "you are a van/taxi/bus driver, you better retrain as you wont have a job in 2 years. It will all be self driving" .

I disagree with driverless vehicles but I agree but with cashless buses. Cashless buses are not new technology and have existed across Europe since the demise of bus conductors. I think they should have been introduced in the 80s or 90s here in Dublin either that or conductors should have been kept. Since the demise of conductors dwell times have been unacceptable on UK and Irish DOO buses.

If we got rid of cash on buses and updated the slow ancient wayfarer machines DB drivers could focus more on driving safely something which AI can't do rather than issuing tickets and Leap transactions.

I think a lot of the advocates for driverless vehicles are tech geeks who can't come to terms with the fact that bus, tram and train drivers get a decent wage for a non tech job. They don't understand that the job of a bus, tram or train driver has a job which has a hell of a lot more skill, concentration and responsibility than theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

"Stephen15 wrote: »

I think a lot of the advocates for driverless vehicles are tech geeks who can't come to terms with the fact that bus, tram and train drivers get a decent wage for a non tech job. They don't understand that the job of a bus, tram or train driver has a job which has a hell of a lot more skill, concentration and responsibility than theirs.

I wouldn't say it's true. People aren't spending cash and developing tech out of begrudgery. It's more the appeal of 24/7 continuous services, cheaper fares, and more intelligent holistic management.
    Our public transport is in disarray most times and at least one Dept is on strike near every year.

I wouldn't say it's true. People aren't spending cash and developing tech out of begrudgery. It's more the appeal of 24/7 continuous services, cheaper fares, and more intelligent holistic management.
    Our public transport is in disarray most times and at least one Dept is on strike near every year.

People are though. You just need to watch Dragons Den on the BBC. There are more websites/apps/systems that leave without money than gets money.

"Solutions to problems that don't exist". That is what one said about most of the tech people come up with.

And just because something can be done with tech/AI does not mean it should/must be done that way.

• Advertisement

Here is a case from Liverpool. If self driving these deaths would increase.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/georgia-varley-train-driver-describes-3329161

AI is decades away from working and will never be able to predict human behaviour.

Advertisement