Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought/Low Rainfall Watch - Summer 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The thread was originally opened for stats on the drought (I also posted daily sunshine tables) but then it quickly turned into a chat about the grass and stuff too.

It was needed!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the drought is well and truly over here in Meath. It's rained every day since last Friday, today is a wash-out and looks like there will be plenty of showers up to Friday evening here.

Grass here is mostly green everywhere except maybe on the edges of footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭appledrop

I think this thread could now be closed. Hasn't stopped rain since last Friday. No drought anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Up to 292% of average rainfall for 25th-31st July 2018 at Shannon Airport.

0t0gtft.png

Soil moisture deficits are still above 70mm for some but getting close to going below that threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

There has been rain here every day since last Friday, but not very much. The grass is beginning to look green again. There's been 0.2mm so far today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Up to 292% of average rainfall for 25th-31st July 2018 at Shannon Airport.

I'm heading to the Shannon region tomorrow for the long weekend. It was looking very promising there from tomorrow a few days ago with high temperatures and lots of sunshine. Now the forecast is very different with wet conditions tomorrow and Friday. I am hoping that at least Saturday and Sunday stays dry there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

Drought over!!

Lashing

Maybe South n some of east have issues but in Sligo over 20mm more today and for first time since May Garavogue is a "river"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

In Donegal for the first time in 7 years and it's pouring rain like last time... bloody typical!

Met Eireann have now lifted drought warning. Definitely time to close this thread.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

appledrop wrote: »
    Met Eireann have now lifted drought warning. Definitely time to close this thread.

See that....

I have removed the warning but still a useful thread to keep going to keep track of a drier than normal summer (especially for those in the south and east) and soil moisture deficits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Can we use it to discuss the" drought" of sun that we are now experiencing?

It's a shocking state of affairs ;)

Can we use it to discuss the" drought" of sun that we are now experiencing?

It's a shocking state of affairs ;)

Ha ha brilliant. I would take my annual leave this week:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    ....keep track of a drier than normal summer (especially for those in the south and east).

Just had a look at my rainfall records (for Dublin 16)....

For (all of) May, June and July, this year, a total rainfall recorded = 56.4mm.

Same period for 2017 = 160.0mm, for 2016 = 183.0mm, for 2015 = 164.6mm, for 2014 = 211.2mm, for 2013 = 127.0mm, and, for 2012 = 411.3mm!

So, despite recent rain, it has overall been an exceptionally dry 3 months (in Dublin 16).

Wait until you see the exceptionally Wet August September October....etc

The 21 June-14 July 2018 absolute drought (minimum 15 consecutive days with 0.2mm of rain or less) at Dublin Airport was the joint 4th longest on record with 24 days.

u8xEwJl.png

The same station (plus Phoenix Park) had partial drought (minimum 29 consecutive days in which the mean daily rainfall for the period does not exceed 0.2mm) conditions for a total of 53 days from 28 May to 19 July 2018. I will look at the records for historical partial droughts to see how 2018 compares.

Met Éireann have released on an update of their preliminary report of the dry, warm weather for Summer 2018 here: https://www.met.ie/cms/assets/uploads/2018/08/DryWarmWx06072018_SS.pdf

Data comes from Met Éireann.

So the 2018 partial drought at Dublin Airport was the second longest in its records with 53 days, only beaten by the 1972 partial drought which lasted for 58 days.

YhGu3TX.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Came across this in passing while looking into the British Isles 1921 drought

FEBRUARY, 1922. MONTHLY WEATHER REVIEW.

THE DROUGHT OF 1921 IN THE BRITISH ISLES.
    By C. E. P. BROOKS AND J. GLASSPOOLE.

The general rainfall in England and Wales was the least in 1921, so far as can be ascertained, since 1788. Individual long records indicated that over a considerable part of the southeast of England 1921 was the driest year for at least a century and a half.

The months of 1921 were not individually so remarkable as was shown by a comparison with the driest month known to have occurred in the British Isles generally. As shown by a map of standard deviation of annual rainfall 1881-1915, for the British Isles, the least fluctuations of annual rainfall occurred along the coast in the
    northwest, increasing to a maximum in the southeast and center of the land masses. Constructing charts showing the distribution of, barometric pressure over the globe during and preceding droughts, beginning with 1864, it is found that the conditions which commonly prevail during dry spells are high pressure over the British Isles, the
    greatest deviation from normal being usually over southeast England; low pressure over the Arctic regions, especially near Spitzbergen; and, generally, low pressure near the Tropics.

The first factor is related to the 11-year sun-spot cycle, occurring most frequently two years after the sun-spot minimum and three or four years after sun-spot maximum, so that it tends to recur every five or six years. Great droughts occur only when both of these factors are favorable. With pressure low over the Arctic, two or three months warning of as drought would be given by the development of high pressure over northern Russia.

source

This story map shows the spatial extent and severity of three major historical drought periods in Ireland (1854-1860,1884-1896 and 1932-1933). Archived documentary evidence showing drought impacts are also presented.

source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Here's the daily rainfall totals for 2018 so far up to August 10th at Dublin Airport and the dry spell since May (including August so far) is extremely notable. In fact, Dublin Airport has just exceeded 25% of its whole average Summer rainfall.

ggNGpla.png

Here's a Cork Airport version of the chart above, up to 9 August.

FZq3tTk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Yes, rainfall amounts are still very small where I am, despite the long since passed heatwave.

The temperatures may well have paired back to normal levels but the rainfall amounts are nowhere near normal levels.

Regardless, I water harvest anyway but the amounts being harvested are minute compared to other years, at this time of year. Unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

In Sligo we have had enough fecking rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Despite all the rain we had last week the land is still bone dry around where i live. Possibly still quite a moisture deficit in the soil. South sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Heavy drizzly rain here in Wexford, it'll keep the dust down.

Here's how the rainfall fared during the same period in 1995 at both stations shown above. April 1995 was exceptionally dry unlike 2018. Both Winter 1994-95 and 2017-18 were wet though 1994-95 was wetter and at the time, the wettest on record for some.

cH8EHrK.png

9pF0t6D.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Less than 10mm at Dublin Airport this month and 6mm of that fell on the 1st so the soil is again as dry as dust like it was a few weeks ago, my grass is still green though but that can explained by the ever present cloud cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

8.6mm with me here in Glasnevin this month and most of that was on the first three days.

Just 6.0mm in Dublin 16 so far this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just 6.0mm in Dublin 16 so far this month.

Damn didn't realise it was still so dry over east.

South Sligo had a light mist for a good part of the day ending up with 6mm of rain.

Weather is still drier than normal even though its wet.

I know that sounds silly but apart from one or two stations seeing a lot of rain theres none of the daily downpours that have characterised most Summers in the 2000s

Last week when I was off I expected a deluge after watching farming forecast the previous Sunday but it was predominantly dry even here in Northwest.

Wednesday was quite showery is all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

7.4mm rain month to date here (including todays showers), ground is absolute dust below top 1cm or so. My veggies this year are a disaster as I havent been able to water. The few tomatoes there are on my spindly plants are ripening just fine and splitting...need to get a bigger rainwater tank.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement