Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to be PSRA Licence ''eligible'' ?

• 17-07-2016 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Just having a look at some jobs online, one particular job only accepts candidates who are PSRA Licence eligible. I know that the PSRA is a particular qualification of some sort, but how does one be eligible?

I put this is the property section as it is a sales negotiator position for an estate agency company.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

OP that link above is your best bet...I can summarise but there is nothing better than reading the full guide. It sets out clearly what it takes, experience and qualification wise and who and what class should be registered.

Unless you have 3 of the last 5 years working for a registered property service provider you will need a qualification. To my knowledge 2 year cert in either DIT or Tallaght IT will give you the minimum academic requirement. If your not working in property sector only tallaght IT will accept you but you will need to do a minimum number of hours practical experience in a property service provider during your course. Fees of about €3500 per year. Other fees apply when you are registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

OP that link above is your best bet...I can summarise but there is nothing better than reading the full guide. It sets out clearly what it takes, experience and qualification wise and who and what class should be registered.

Unless you have 3 of the last 5 years working for a registered property service provider you will need a qualification. To my knowledge 2 year cert in either DIT or Tallaght IT will give you the minimum academic requirement. If your not working in property sector only tallaght IT will accept you but you will need to do a minimum number of hours practical experience in a property service provider during your course. Fees of about €3500 per year. Other fees apply when you are registered.

Jaysus the red tape around this is unreal. Why do we insist on keeping people out of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Jaysus the red tape around this is unreal. Why do we insist on keeping people out of work.

It's just insisting people have the correct training and/or experience for the job?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The o/p wants to work as negotiator in an estate agents office when he clearly doesn't know anything about it. Many threads on this forum complain about estate agents and their lack of professionalism. % years ago someone like the o/p could have obtained a licence and could be in business in their own right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 DonnachaH

I've been looking into the PRSA license eligibility recently with my girlfirend.
    She's keen to work in an estate agents, and is planning on studying at one of the PRSA approved courses. It looks like she'll pick the Masters in Real estate at DIT.

I think we've both found out as much as we could online, but there are some questions I have which I'd like a hand with. We don't actually know anyone in this line of work, so naturally I came to Boards.ie with a few questions.

How difficult are estate agent jobs to get in general, and in the bigger firms (DNG ect.)?
    I imagine relevant work experience is highly prized. Is it, or do most people start without it?
    How difficult is it to get an internship in a Real estate agency before getting your PRSA?
    Are any particular skills/modules prized in prospective applicants?
    Is there anything else that she should think about?

Thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

DonnachaH wrote: »
    I've been looking into the PRSA license eligibility recently with my girlfirend.
    She's keen to work in an estate agents, and is planning on studying at one of the PRSA approved courses. It looks like she'll pick the Masters in Real estate at DIT.

I think we've both found out as much as we could online, but there are some questions I have which I'd like a hand with. We don't actually know anyone in this line of work, so naturally I came to Boards.ie with a few questions.

How difficult are estate agent jobs to get in general, and in the bigger firms (DNG ect.)?
    I imagine relevant work experience is highly prized. Is it, or do most people start without it?
    How difficult is it to get an internship in a Real estate agency before getting your PRSA?
    Are any particular skills/modules prized in prospective applicants?
    Is there anything else that she should think about?

Thanks in advance!!

EA here. Ill try my best to answer your questions but it will be from my experience in my area of the country;

How difficult are estate agent jobs to get in general, and in the bigger firms (DNG ect.)? How many to you see advertised? Dublin is a bigger market with more agents so would tend to have more jobs. Smaller towns and cities would be quieter so would have less vacancies. DNG are different as they are a Franchise arrangement (outside of Dublin anyway) so you would be best placed to contact the local offices directly. Having said that, I and most others, would have started off in a role below sales. Perhaps a receptionist, letting agent or property manager. Id advise the same as it allows you to learn the local market without the pressure of targets etc.

I imagine relevant work experience is highly prized. Is it, or do most people start without it? It depends on the advertised role. I work for a large national company and got this job as I was working for a competitor and my employers were looking for experienced. I have seen entry level jobs but VERY rarely. Refer to last point.

How difficult is it to get an internship in a Real estate agency before getting your PRSA? I know it is much easier in the commercial side of the industry. As it is a Masters she is studying, I assume she is leaning that way? I know certainly the SCSI education route provides for it. If it is commercial, I would definitely be more inclined to advise going down the SCSI route.

Are any particular skills/modules prized in prospective applicants? Depends on the role. Obviously, communication skills is super important across the board but personality traits may be valued higher in residential. Also, networking history (memberships of clubs, societies is more valued in residential as it opens up a greater possibility of new business). From a commercial point of view, ability / results in Valuation Modules is hugely important.

Is there anything else that she should think about? Id say her first thing is to think about which discipline she would like to work in. Is she prepared to take two steps back to take one step forward? Is she prepared to work long, sometimes awkward hours? Is she methodical? Is she prepared for everybody to think she is a crook? ;-)

Look, I work in residential and I generally LOVE what I do. I didnt get into this for the money (it can be good but it depends on your pay structure), Im passionate about people and property. Id crash and burn in commercial. Being an EA is (or at least should be) a long term plan. Thankfully, the days of cowboys are generally gone.

That's great information EA, much appreciated.

Two more facts
    *She's finished a BA in Geography abroad (She's Dutch) which doesn't meet the PRSA criteria. And she wants to get eligible ASAP so a Masters (1-2 years) beats a Bachelors (3+ years plus additional expenses)
    *She's interested in residential only

She could go work in a bar and get the degree, but obviously she'd feel better getting relevant work experience to learn her trade and build up the CV.
    The issue as I see it goes like this.
    Relevant work experience is valued. Most get this through their SCSI course. She won't as the Msc. doeson't have this. So she would likely be hitting the job market at a disadvantage unless she can find a way to work in a estate agents or something similar before getting the PRSA.

Is there any common work around to this? A way of working in real estate before getting the PRSA?

Thanks again, it's nice to pick someones brain about this!

Maybe getting a commercial internship then transitioning to residential would be a way to?

"Perhaps a receptionist, letting agent or property manager."
    Oh and btw maybe I've taken a wrong turn on this. As I understood it anyone in a estate agents office needed a PRSA.
    Am I wrong on that? because if I am then things are alot simpler she could just get a foot in the door in that sort of job until she gets the PRSA, then try switch.

That's great information EA, much appreciated.

Two more facts
    *She's finished a BA in Geography abroad (She's Dutch) which doesn't meet the PRSA criteria. And she wants to get eligible ASAP so a Masters (1-2 years) beats a Bachelors (3+ years plus additional expenses)
    *She's interested in residential only

She could go work in a bar and get the degree, but obviously she'd feel better getting relevant work experience to learn her trade and build up the CV.
    The issue as I see it goes like this.
    Relevant work experience is valued. Most get this through their SCSI course. She won't as the Msc. doeson't have this. So she would likely be hitting the job market at a disadvantage unless she can find a way to work in a estate agents or something similar before getting the PRSA.

Is there any common work around to this? A way of working in real estate before getting the PRSA?

Thanks again, it's nice to pick someones brain about this!

Hmm, why does she want to be an EA? Her studies this far dont seem to support a sales orientated job? Does she like sales? Dont forget, an EA is simply a glorified salesperson. ALOT of the same principles apply.

I know there is (or was) an element of the IPAVs residential course that provided for an element of work experience so that is likely the same still. I'm sorry, but it seems to me that your girlfriend will struggle in this without going right to the bottom of the tree. Is she prepared for that?

As to work arounds, yes there are but they all rely on actually working in the industry. As far as I am aware, weekend viewers (handle open viewings on new developments generally) do not have to be licensed but I'm open to correction on that. I really think your girlfriend will have to get qualified and look for entry level jobs, admin, maybe property management (where there seems to be more turnover in staff) and go from there.

She may get lucky but if she is competing with others who are local, have local contacts, experience etc, she really will struggle.

• Advertisement

Maybe getting a commercial internship then transitioning to residential would be a way to?

"Perhaps a receptionist, letting agent or property manager."
    Oh and btw maybe I've taken a wrong turn on this. As I understood it anyone in a estate agents office needed a PRSA.
    Am I wrong on that? because if I am then things are alot simpler she could just get a foot in the door in that sort of job until she gets the PRSA, then try switch.

Nope. Only agents. Receptionists, admin etc don't require licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

have looked at this a few times, fees here are **** like 1% on sales, not like "million dollar listings" or in the UK,

the hassle of selling a 200k house only to get 2k, sounds like a hard line of work.

utmbuilder wrote: »
    have looked at this a few times, fees here are **** like 1% on sales, not like "million dollar listings" or in the UK,

the hassle of selling a 200k house only to get 2k, sounds like a hard line of work.

Tell me about it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hoppo1982

One particular area of the requirements i could not get my head around was obtaining the licence through experience. The requirements are -

"the applicant has lawfully engaged in, and for periods amounting together to not less than 3 years of the 5 year period immediately preceding the making of the application, the provision of the property service for which he or she is seeking the licence,"

How can an applicant gain 3 years lawful experience in the provision of the service if they must hold a licence to provide the service from the outset ?

I think they included that so that when the PRS regulations were enacted, those already practicing as EAs would not have to go back to University to get the academic qualifications.
    But you're right now it just looks silly.

If you've any take on how to get experience before getting your PRSA, I'm all ears Hoppo

I have asked the authority directly and have yet to receive a clear answer.

My most recent request was made today. Will update once (if) they reply

Fron the PSRA :

In relation to qualification under paragraph (c), you must provide evidence of lawful experience for 3 out of the 5 year period preceding the making of the application. This qualification paragraph was particularly useful for those people who held Revenue licences under the old licensing system (up to July 2012) and allowed them to submit their Revenue licences for qualification purposes for a PSRA licence.

At the present time, the only way an employee who works as a property services provider in Ireland can be lawfully engaged is by holding a PSRA licence. If you were the holder of 3 PSRA licences out of the last 5 years, you can submit them as evidence of qualification under paragraph (c).

Essentially this is a farce and not an avenue worth exploring.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

The best option here to obtain a licence is to complete one of the many 2 year courses available that will deem you eligible for a PSRA licence. (Im a licence holder)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nordyindublin

"Perhaps a receptionist, letting agent or property manager"

Some of the advice on here is ridiculous. Why do people insist on giving advice on subjects they clearly know nothing about? Letting agents and property managers both require PSRA license. Bother are equally good jobs to sales agents. You need to have a degree plus experience to work as a commercial property manager and also need at some stage to complete the SCSI APC in Property Management Route.

Your best bet is to go in as a property assistant i.e. someone who works in the background and isn't providing advice to clients. There are plenty of these jobs available. In our department our junior staff are not licensed as they don't have any direct client interaction. That is all done by the senior staff.

If you want some actual advice feel free to message me.

• Advertisement

"Perhaps a receptionist, letting agent or property manager"

Some of the advice on here is ridiculous. Why do people insist on giving advice on subjects they clearly know nothing about? Letting agents and property managers both require PSRA license. Bother are equally good jobs to sales agents. You need to have a degree plus experience to work as a commercial property manager and also need at some stage to complete the SCSI APC in Property Management Route.

Your best bet is to go in as a property assistant i.e. someone who works in the background and isn't providing advice to clients. There are plenty of these jobs available. In our department our junior staff are not licensed as they don't have any direct client interaction. That is all done by the senior staff.

If you want some actual advice feel free to message me.

The full quote was....

"Having said that, I and most others, would have started off in a role below sales. Perhaps a receptionist, letting agent or property manager. Id advise the same as it allows you to learn the local market without the pressure of targets etc.

As you then go on to say... "Your best bet is to go in as a property assistant i.e. someone who works in the background and isn't providing advice to clients"

So, you are giving the same advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nordyindublin

Yes - but property manager and letting agent are certainly not below sales. And both of these require a PSRA license.

My point was, thats how many sales agents started, not that the jobs were below agents!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Not sure if the original poster's girlfriend did any property course? If any help to anyone I'm in my last year of the part-time SCSI/DIT Property BSc ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

hoppo1982 wrote: »
    Fron the PSRA :

In relation to qualification under paragraph (c), you must provide evidence of lawful experience for 3 out of the 5 year period preceding the making of the application. This qualification paragraph was particularly useful for those people who held Revenue licences under the old licensing system (up to July 2012) and allowed them to submit their Revenue licences for qualification purposes for a PSRA licence.

At the present time, the only way an employee who works as a property services provider in Ireland can be lawfully engaged is by holding a PSRA licence. If you were the holder of 3 PSRA licences out of the last 5 years, you can submit them as evidence of qualification under paragraph (c).

Essentially this is a farce and not an avenue worth exploring.

Does the 3 years experience have to be in Ireland to use that route? Just curious..

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Im looking into getting a prsa license on experience, based on being a director on the blocks owners management company and helping manage a multi user development where i live since the managing agent resigned...

Would that qualify as relevent experience towards a license?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Im looking into getting a prsa license on experience, based on being a director on the blocks owners management company and helping manage a multi user development where i live since the managing agent resigned...

Would that qualify as relevent experience towards a license?

Hi GalwayGallimh

You can only now only apply for a license if you have done a 2 year higher certificate in property studies (to do this course you have to have approx 5 years previous experience in the industry - need to have at least 3 years as your most recent job). You'd have to be a principal officer of a property services employer which the relevant experience to qualify to apply. You have to have your own insurance/tax clearance etc. Link to guide is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mechanical aid

There's a 2 year apprenticeship programe in ballsbrigde college of further education. 1 day per week in the college and 4 days with an employer. There's also a salary.

https://www.ballsbridgecollege.com/apprenticeship-in-auctioneering-and-property-services/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Any idea what the salary might be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

if anyone reading this is licensed I've 10 plus property's through some friends I need someone to team up with in flipping. must be able to commute to meath weekly for valuations

Advertisement