Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suprised by price

• 22-07-2018 9:43am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I have to say, we've seen inflation of retro prices everywhere these days, with previously cheap games suddenly costing the price of a modest two seater sports car, possibly a Mazda...

But I was playing a bit of Outrun 2, the OG Xbox version, on the 360 and loving it.
    The Xbox version is pretty spot on with the arcade due to the shared hardware platform.

I also have the update/sequel Outrun 2006: Coast2Coast on the PSP and PS2 and saw that it was also on the OG Xbox as well, and also works on the 360.

Happy days I think, remembering that the PSP €6 and PS2 €2 games are cheap, very cheap.

I check in with CEX and see that Coast2Coast is only €4, link

No Outrun 2006 for the Xbox in stock though... sure I'll check ebay and amazon...

What the actual feck!

from €60 to €199!
    link
    When did this happen?
    Who decided that this should be so expensive?
    And why hasn't anyone told CEX?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Wut? I picked that up in Cex years ago for €1.50 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

What kind of madness is this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    Wut? I picked that up in Cex years ago for €1.50 or something.

It's v strange.

I would have thought that the one I do own, Outrun 2, would be the rarer of the two and more expensive, as Coast2Coast is available on several platforms while 2 is only on the OG Xbox.
    They must not have printed too many Coast2Coast copies perhaps.

I'm going to track it down anyway, like Tempest, Outrun 2/2006 is a remarkable arcade racing game and good to have access to at all times, in all available formats!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's v strange.

I would have thought that the one I do own, Outrun 2, would be the rarer of the two and more expensive, as Coast2Coast is available on several platforms while 2 is only on the OG Xbox.
    They must not have printed too many Coast2Coast copies perhaps.

I'm going to track it down anyway, like Tempest, Outrun 2/2006 is a remarkable arcade racing game and good to have access to at all times, in all available formats!

Maybe try the UK CeX with a forwarding service?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Maybe try the UK CeX with a forwarding service?

Yeah, I'm bidding on an inexpensive one on ebay right now, we'll see how that fairs.

While I'm accustomed to PS2 games becoming very expensive this is possibly the handful of Xbox games that are getting pricey.
    That OG Xbox killer Metal Wolf Chaos is probably another.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    It's always been a pricey game, it's sought after and hard enough to come by over the original. Don't expect it to ever show up in cex, and if it does it's prob the original and they've entered it in wrong.

Since when though? I've come across it in the flesh several times while browsing various CeX shops, and bought it there myself for pittens.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think the fact that the Xbox 360 version was delisted along with After Burner Climax might be a factor too.

sugarman wrote: »
    Last 3/4/5 years? Ever since I've been keeping an eye out for a copy they've been steadily on the rise. They were going around the €20 mark when I started looking for one and now they're at least double that.

Mad. It was pennies for the longest time, & just seemed to rocket

• Registered Users Posts: 34,360 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you look at actual sold auctions though it seems to average about 30, with some copies selling far far less. So I think what you're seeing is the typical eBay/Amazon gougers chancing their arm.

Only version I've ever really played is the PS2 port. Much of a difference with the Xbox version?

The PS2/PSP ports are great but the frame rates suffer, particularly in the latter as you'd expect.
    But the Xbox version is better, as far as I know, but only in small ways.
    But, you can't play Outrun 2006 on my PS3, I don't have a 60Gb machine any more!
    But the Xbox one will run nicely on the 360.
    I think I have the official 360 XBLA port, but it's pretty cut down compared to the console versions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The arcade game is on the Chihiro board which is an xbox with more memory so the Xbox ports are basically identical to the arcade.

Also the Xbox version doesn't run that nicely on the 360. It runs fine for a while but after 20 minutes the sound starts to corrupt and crackle and about an hour later it will soft lock. I doubt it's been updated since.

I'd actually recommend getting the PC version. It's not available now... officially, but there are places you can get it and it runs perfect on Windows 10 and supports 4K resolutions and beyond.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also the Xbox version doesn't run that nicely on the 360. It runs fine for a while but after 20 minutes the sound starts to corrupt and crackle and about an hour later it will soft lock. I doubt it's been updated since.

Memory leak?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Memory leak?

Probably. It's only on the 360 version. They might have fixed it with Xbox One BC. They fixed Panzer Dragoon Orta (PAL) on 360 when it was made BC with the One, that game used to crash immediately after the cutscene before stage 4. However I don't think it's been added to Xbox One yet.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Probably. It's only on the 360 version. They might have fixed it with Xbox One BC.

I reckon they might have, the XB/360 'emulation' on the One is quite different to how it was handled on the 360 itself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Did OutRun just not sell on Xbox so there's less copies? I often wonder what makes games in the last generation or two become expensive. Apparently the Futurama game on Xbox is also silly money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Id imagine this is based on someone somewhere hearing that the game was worth a bundle and adding it for sale. Someone else spotted it and followed suit. It happens quite a bit in the vhs/blu ray/dvd collectors world.

For example, the Disney Diamond edition vhs. It's now an urban legend that they are worth hundreds where as they are actually worth SFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Look at the marketplace how the activity has gone down, same thing on ebay. Prices started getting mental 4 or 5 years ago as a result people are hanging onto their games.

Imagine being back in the 2000s, you could most games 16-bit era for nickels!

Master of the Universe

2 Scoops wrote: »

Imagine being back in the 2000s, you could most games 16-bit era for nickels!

I really miss those days of looking through charity shops and finding hoards of Snes/Megadrive/NES games. It really felt like you were finding gold. That part of the hobby is all but gone now.

I nearly went to the sunday market in Balbriggan yesterday, remembering the great days of finding Atari and Sega gear.... then I remembered that it was
    1. Those days were 8 years ago
    2. It was raining

Stayed at home, watched Homeland....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I nearly went to the sunday market in Balbriggan yesterday, remembering the great days of finding Atari and Sega gear.... then I remembered that it was
    1. Those days were 8 years ago
    2. It was raining

I only started watching game chasers a while ago, it got me all revved up to go to some markets, but then I thought "what's the feckin point, I'm about 15 years too later." :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I nearly went to the sunday market in Balbriggan yesterday, remembering the great days of finding Atari and Sega gear.... then I remembered that it was Those days were 8 years ago It was raining Stayed at home, watched Homeland....

Balbriggan was great

I remember one day getting a boxed Amiga 600 for 15 euro (it had been used as a fire alarm panel)
    Two megadrives
    A N64 cw Boxed Mario 64 and Mario cart for 15 euro again
    Then I bought a N64 box off an auld won for 2 euro.

All in the same day

Never had much luck in charity shops

Master of the Universe

My best was my mam finding a Snes with about 30 top tier games (We're talking the likes of Super Metroid, Castlevania IV, Sunset Riders etc) in a charity shop for 30 euro. The week previous she'd found an unopened boxed NES in another charity shop for 30.

Actually, less 'my best' and more 'my mam's best' tbh :pac: - she used to do the charity shop circuit twice a week in Bray (there were actually quite a few of them) and I'd constantly be getting random calls saying things like 'Oisin, they have a Megadrive in Waronwant/Oxfam/The Cancer Society with X games for X amount of money, what should I do??'

Got interesting when disc based systems started appearing as I'd have to talk her through how to test out the disc drive over the phone :D

Johnny U, formerly common in these parts, did find Musha in the bargain bin of The RAGE, and they've been over charging ever since to make up the loss!

Johnny U, formerly common in these parts, did find Musha in the bargain bin of The RAGE, and they've been over charging ever since to make up the loss!

Actually haven’t seen a Sir Ultimate post here in ages, does not not frequent the place anymore

Advertisement