Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh ideas for pork mince

• 30-12-2010 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have some pork mince defrosting in the fridge for tonight's dinner, but have no idea what to do. Ideally something fresh. I think if we have Chile con carne/Spag Bol/Tomato Sauce-based thing, one more time I am going to weep like a little girl.

As you can see from my Location I am in the Czech republic, so eating relatively healthily without spending a fortune, and keeping recipes fresh is a constant battle. Beef is generally quite expensive, and at the same time quite poor in quality. Pork is good value and good quality, so we buy a lot of that and keep Beef for special occasions or for treating ourselves.

In recent weeks/months I have done:

Cornish Pasties
    Mince and Tatties - Her indoors did not like that
    Meatballs
    Meatloaf
    Guinness Stew(Using lean pieces of pork instead of beef or lamb) - Works well but her indoors is getting fed up of it.
    I am now running out of ideas.

Can anyone share anything with me?

EDIT: I just found this recipe Chinese Pork Mince with Beans. I didnt really think the chinese used mince in their recipes. If they do then I would welcome new exciting mince-based chinese recipes if anyone has any. Both of us love chinese.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

• Registered Users Posts: 22,742 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try mixing with spices & herbs of your choice & some finely chopped sauteed onions. Mould around skewers & grill. Serve with rice or cous cous & sour cream/garlic/coriander dip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Cottage pie? It's just as nice with pork mince.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I make a vietnamese version of yuk sung. Its quite tasty. Let me know if you want the recipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Cottage pie? It's just as nice with pork mince.

Thats too similar to spag bol/Con carne for it to be fresh. Thanks anyway though.
    I make a vietnamese version of yuk sung. Its quite tasty. Let me know if you want the recipe

Foodaholic, absolutely! Bring it on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I love to make pork burgers.

I use onion, garlic, and sweet chilli sauce to stick it.

Serve with homemade oven chips, on a burger bun with salad.

I made a nice mango salsa to go with it the last time...if I can remember what I put in it but it's a "what you have in your fridge" job!

Mango, cucumber, red pepper, tomato, coriander, lime juice, garlic, onion.. I think! I just cut it up very small but a food processor would make it really good. (I don't have one :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Its an Ainsley Harriott recipe:

Ingredients
    1 shallot, chopped
    2 cloves of garlic chopped
    1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
    250g minced pork
    1 tsp chinese five spice
    220g can of water chestnuts, chopped
    1tbs thai fish sauce
    2tbs light soy sauce
    1tbs clear honey
    2 little gem lettuce hearts
    75g bean sprouts
    fresh corriander leaves to garnish

Method
    Heat some oil in a panm cook the shallots and garlic for a couple of mins.
    Add the chilli, pork and five spice and cook for 5 mins.
    Stir in the water chestnuts, fish sauce, soy sauce and honey. Warm through gently, stirring until the pork is cooked.
    Allow to cool then chill for 20mins

Stir in the bean sprouts into the pork and serve in the lettuce leaves.
    Garnish with the corriander

I usually double the quantity

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

googled looking for a pork gyoza recepie but came across this instead......lots of minced pork recepies!!

http://www.cookitsimply.com/category-0020-0j64.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Here is my recipe
    Sorry for the bullet points but I lifted it straight from the website I posted it to.

Ingredients

• 700 g pork mince, finely ground
      • 2 medium green peppers, halved and sliced in 1/4 inch slices
      • 2 medium red peppers, halved and sliced in 1/4 inch slices
      • 2 medium onions, diced
      • 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
      • 3 chopped chillies ( I used the Thai chillies and liked the result)
      • 1 tablespoon oil
      • 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
      • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar

Directions

1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan sauté the onions,peppers and chilies, when softened add the garlic and cook for a little longer and remove from the pan and set aside.
      2. Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil and brown the mince in small batches avoiding the "stewing" effect.
      3. Place the browned mince on top of the reserved vegetables (keeps all the juices).
      4. Deglaze the pan with vinegar add the vegetables and pork and stir to mix.
      5. Add the oyster sauce and stir to heat.
      6. Serve on boiled white rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

You will need
      Minced pork fried and drained of excess fat
      Minced waterchestnuts
      Minced garlic
      Chopped scallions
      Chilli flakes
      Oyster sauce
      Splash of wine
      Dark soya sauce
      Sesame oil

Hot wok
      add the minced garlic, oyster sauce, and a few chilli flakes
      add the pork and the waterchestnuts
      add splash of wine
      season with salt and pepper
      add scallions
      add dark soy
      add a few drops of sesame oil

enjoy

for the crunchy vermichelli just deep fry some uncooked rice noodles for 5 or 6 seconds

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 64,681 ✭✭✭✭unkel

jassha wrote: »
      You will need
      Minced pork fried and drained of excess fat
      Minced waterchestnuts
      Minced garlic
      Chopped scallions
      Chilli flakes
      Oyster sauce
      Splash of wine
      Dark soya sauce
      Sesame oil

Hot wok
      add the minced garlic, oyster sauce, and a few chilli flakes
      add the pork and the waterchestnuts
      add splash of wine
      season with salt and pepper
      add scallions
      add dark soy
      add a few drops of sesame oil

enjoy

for the crunchy vermichelli just deep fry some uncooked rice noodles for 5 or 6 seconds

Yep as you posted in your own thread :)

Tasty stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

You could look up Frikadeller on the net. Danish pork meatballs, and very tasty, if I remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frikadeller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

I make a stuffing with minced pork. Once you get the basic idea down you can use it to stuff peppers, squashes, marrow, and even cabbage leaves.

There's no hard and fast rules. The basic idea is combining a variety of veg and herbs with minced pork and rice. Older recipes for these kinds of recipes were too meat-heavy for me. A friend introduced me to this lighter veg and rice type. It's so quick and yummy.

Here's an example stuffing we did on Thursday night for stuffed cabbage (for Ukranian Christmas :). Sorry - my way of writing recipes isn't that great! Just trying to picture how I did this all.

Set oven to pre-heat. 180 degrees celcius.

Fill the kettle and boil it.

Cook long grain white rice:
      - 2 mugs full of your boiled water into your hot sauce pan/pot.
      - 2 tbs oil
      - 1 mug full of rice (throw oil and rice into boiling water)
      - Boil for 7 mins covered (use a timer)
      - Remove from heat and keep covered for another 7 mins.
      - Fluff

Wilt the cabbage
      - Pop the kettle to get that water hot again if you need to.
      - Clean and pick the best outer leaves of a head of cabbage. I did about 12 leaves.
      - Cut a "v" to remove the hard spine of the leaves.
      - Put into a big pot
      - Pour over boiled water, and cover. These will sort of steam. You can turn the pile over later to make sure they all get in the hot water. You don't need to cook them, but to make them bendy.

Begin to cook minced pork.
      - If you have another person handy, they can mind that while you chop all the vegs :)
      - I'm not sure on the amount. Maybe 1-2 cups full?? Depends on how meaty you want it. It shrinks quite a bit as you already know. We used 2 cups because we had folks over for dinner.
      - I sometimes put in some white wine to the pork if I have it.

Considering all the veg, if you have a food processor, it's ideal. With that said, I only bought a food processor last week and I've been making stuffing like this for years without one.

Chop rather finely
      - 1 onion
      - Bunch of curly or flat parsley, hard stalks removed - parsley makes it so nice
      - 1 celery stalk
      - 2 cups of mushrooms (really it was a small tesco punnet, not sure the weight).

Grate
      - 1 carrot

Crush and chop a handful of hazelnuts. This is awesome, make a nice crunchy texture. (I leave nuts out if I'm doing a stuffed marrow because it's good all soft.)

When the pork is nearly cooked, add the veg to cook with it. Make up a 1/2 cup of veg or chicken stock, add that to the pork and veg. Put in a few tables spoons of tomato paste if you have it. You just want to soften and flavour the veg.

I like to add dried herbs like thyme. And depending on what I'm stuffing, I might add oregano (if stuffing peppers).

Now add some of the rice which should be ready now. Add rice by the 1/2 cup full until it looks like a good mix. (I never know ahead of time how it's going to come out, heh. I had about 3/4c of rice leftover, which doesn't bother me, since I used it the next day for a soup.)

Taste it, add some salt and pepper at this stage. (If you add salt sooner, you can over salt the whole thing).

So it's all pretty much cooked. I dunno, I think you can do the whole thing raw maybe- but I'm pork paranoid.

Place 1/4 c of stuff into the center of a cabbage leaf and fold in the sides and roll to close. Place open side down into an oiled baking dish. (like you use for lasagne). Just keep on going until you are done with all the leaves.

Add 1/2 cup of stock to the dish, and then cover with one can of chopped tomatoes. Sprinkle on some black pepper and salt. You can also use passata too.

Pop the whole thing in the oven, takes about 30 mins. The leaves will cook, and the tomato sauce will dry and concentrate unless you cover it, in which case it will stay saucy and nice.

Once you get the basic idea of this kind of stuffing you can use it and vary it. For example:
      - If you're stuffing peppers, then skip the stock and tomato- and cover with breadcrumbs and grated cheddar cheese.
      - If you do a marrow, cover with a thick white sauce. (normal bechamel, with nutmeg, and just make it very thick).

These recipes here look good:

Stuffed marrow:
      http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-0175n1.html

Stuffed peppers:
      http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/dads_stuffed_bell_peppers/ (replace pork for beef, it's good)
      http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/moms_stuffed_bell_peppers/

Greek stuffed veg recipe, with rice and almonds (no meat, but you could add pork! :)
      http://greekfood.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/r/yemista_amyg.htm

Oh and pro-tip; You can freeze any extra stuffing to use another time; or you can freeze the stuffed cabbages individually wrapped at the stage before baking. You can then heat them up in a pan with a shallow water to steam for a quick lunch!

I hope that inspires you to try some stuffing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

Oh! I also wanted to tell you about Ma Po Tofu. This is a real comfort food (as it was explained to me by friends in Taiwan).

Tofu, minced pork and some really spicy ingredients. It's super duper spicy, it's sooo good.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapo_doufu

Here's a rather good video showing how to make it:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4idNpeiNqw

Here's a recipe too:
      http://appetiteforchina.com/recipes/mapo-doufu-mapo-tofu

I don't think you can get around some of the ingredients to get the right flavor. Hopefully you have an asian grocery around?

Advertisement