Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the most you would pay for a handbag

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

This thread just made me realise, I've never bought a handbag. :pac: Two from my aunt and one from my brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

mariaalice wrote: »
    Assuming you are not a millionaire, what is the most you would spend on a hand bag?

I want to buy this bag in M & S, it is 160 euro which I think is a lot of money so I am humming and hawing a bit on the other had I know I would have it for years its a leather satchel backpack bag the sort of bag I love.

The problem with M&S is the sterling:euro exchange rate. Check out the price of the bag in Sterling, put the price into XE.COM and see how the sterling price translates into euro. If it is significantly more I'd advise you to wait for the sales.

I'm all for paying for quality - a bag that will last well through daily use and abuse :D and won't fall to bits in a few months. I don't agree with buying a bag for the designer label or for the bit of metal hanging out of it letting everyone know where you've bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Nemecis

If it a classic bag and never goes out of style, buy it ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

I have my eye on a lovely bag at the moment that's €80. It's leather, a classic style, good quality for the proce and very much "my bag" (geddit? ;-)) but not sure if I can bring myself to spend that much on it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Teafor two12345

eviltwin wrote: »
    I won a voucher a few years back for a high end store and bought a handbag. I would never have spent my own money but in hindsight it's probably paid for itself. I've had it ten years and never bought another bag and it still looks as good as new. I used to buy two or three bags a year before. I see a good bag as an investment piece, look after it and it will last a lifetime.

I never win nothin :-( I enter all those online things i see!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Paid about E400 for a Guess bag a few years ago, that's probably the highest I'd go.

I'm one of these everything-but-the-kitchen-sink-ers when it comes to handbags so tend to go for storage rather than stylish and dainty. "It's not a real bag if ya can't fit into it" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Not a handbag, but I did once spend £300 on a suede coat back in my college days. I was worried about the expense at first but by the time it was unwearable I'd had it about 5 years and it was In constant use between October and March.

Quality definitely pays for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I guess it's down to how much you use it. If you use something a lot, I think it makes sense to get a quality one. What value you put on that is down to your own disposable income.

For me, I couldn't justify it, because I barely use then. I have a laptop case most of the time for work, and at the weekend if we are out on the beach or in the woods it's a backpack. If I'm out with the kids I stuff everything into the pouches on the buggy. I get very little use from a regular handbag, maybe a few hours a week. For evenings I use a sparkly clutch from pennies or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think I might be getting it for Christmas after I 'accidentally' showed it to my husband.

I cant link it, but it is a Berkley leather backpack if any one wants to have look and I prefer the tan rather than the black although the black is nice as well.

mariaalice wrote: »
    I think I might be getting it for Christmas after I 'accidentally' showed it to my husband.

I cant link it, but it is a Berkley leather backpack if any one wants to have look and I prefer the tan rather than the black although the black is nice as well.
    Awh that's sweet. Enjoy.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I really like bags so I would spend more on them than on anything else. The most expensive bag that I own now is a Mulberry Bayswater which was about €1,600. I take really good care of it and it just looks better the longer I own it. I would like to buy a Chanel bag and that will probably be my biggest bag purchase.

I know some people will think I'm mad but I save and then treat myself. The resale value is pretty good on certain designers so I keep that in mind and I like the idea of having something special to pass on to my daughter (if she is into bags too, of course). I'm not a big spender on clothes or shoes so I guess it evens out.

Novella wrote: »
    I really like bags so I would spend more on them than on anything else. The most expensive bag that I own now is a Mulberry Bayswater which was about €1,600. I take really good care of it and it just looks better the longer I own it. I would like to buy a Chanel bag and that will probably be my biggest bag purchase.

I know some people will think I'm mad but I save and then treat myself. The resale value is pretty good on certain designers so I keep that in mind and I like the idea of having something special to pass on to my daughter (if she is into bags too, of course). I'm not a big spender on clothes or shoes so I guess it evens out.

How dare you have nicer bags than me I hate you! :P Lucky daughter though!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Deise_vixen

I have to admit that I am a handbag and shoe nut, so I've spent a lot on them over the years. The most I've spent on one bag is €850 on a Chloe Marcie Saddle bag but I've used it nearly every day since so it's more than earned its keep!

I'm not a bag snob though and have plenty from New Look, Penneys, River Island etc., for me its more about the right bag for the outfit rather than the label.

I have a couple of dirt cheap designer copies that I picked up in Asia too and no-one can tell the difference from real thing, so I'm happy to let people think that they're real :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Im going to be a bah humbug here but I'm sure it's allowed lol.

Bags are functional or for dressing up.

If functional, they are going to be ruined in the rain, snow, on the train etc. If they are dressy they can be bought very inexpensively and changed to suit the outfit.

I cannot understand the obsession with paying loadsa dough for a bag that NO ONE notices at all (well maybe you do but that's all!).

I'd rather go on a weekend break somewhere nice here, or abroad for the money some want to spend on a flippin BAG, omg.

But each to their own I guess, and we all spend our money the way we want, that gives us pleasure.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I can't wear most bags because of my back and shoulders so whatever I use has to be very light. I love long champ as they're really light. I've got 2 which I alternate between. I think they cost €120 each. If love another one and I might put it on the list for my birthday. I've a couple of evening bags which cost €200. I don't use them very often but I love having them there for special occasions.

I think I bought a bag in tkmax for €250 before my first child was born. That was the most I've ever spent. I've got on jaeger bag that cost about €150 it I can't really use it anymore as its a shoulder carry one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I paid €1,200 for a handbag two years ago. I chose to pay for it instead of a holiday that year. I always feel well dressed when I have it and know that it is genuine and not an imitation.
    I don't usually pay more than €250. Buy the best that you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,178 ✭✭✭✭fits

Oh man id chose a holiday over a handbag any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

*dreaming of holidays*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

Novella wrote: »

€1,600! I'm thinking about the amazing holiday in Asia I could have for that, or 2-3 city breaks. :eek:

I get paying for quality, but I always think, what if it got stolen or ruined? Do you have it insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

fits wrote: »
    Oh man id chose a holiday over a handbag any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

*dreaming of holidays*

I must admit I never got as much enjoyment out of a bag than out of a holiday. :D

But then if I had to choose between ten days lying on a beach or a handbag I would pick handbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

meeeeh wrote: »
    I must admit I never got as much enjoyment out of a bag than out of a holiday. :D

Course the holiday is long gone when you are still enjoying the bag.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think good holidays stay with you a long time. And besides the benefit of being able to switch off for a time shouldn't be underestimated either.

Anyway that's completely different debate but sometimes long term value of non tangible stuff is undervalued.

That being said people (including me) seem to have no problem paying large sums for slightly improved new piece of technology, especially phones or tablets or even cars. Bags actually keep their value much better.

They say travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer. Would rather enjoy an experience rather than a piece of leather, however beautifully made it is, but that's just me.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think good holidays stay with you a long time. And besides the benefit of being able to switch off for a time shouldn't be underestimated either.
    LeeLooLee wrote: »
    They say travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer. Would rather enjoy an experience rather than a piece of leather, however beautifully made it is, but that's just me.

Completely agree, just offering how things may be for the expensive bag buyers. They get to enjoy using the bag time after time, and perhaps all those smaller moments of joy (compared to 2 weeks of holiday joy) mean more to them than a holiday means to me?

Actually Im one of those people who goes to the same place to holiday each year - so many wouldnt like my holidays - but I love them! More than any bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I was very near buying a Michael Kors handbag during the summer in BT. I had the money as a bonus from work. I was in BT's and all looking at the bags but could not bring myself to spend all that money on one handbag.
    The guilts started kicking in, thinking of all the other things I could spend the money on: home improvements, a night away, put towards a holiday, birthday or Christmas presents for hubbie and son etc.
    Didn't buy it. Have been using a Penneys handbag since the summer, think it was like €11 or something but it has gotten SO many complements. I'm hoping the fact that it's not obviously branded gives it the allure of being an expensive handbag! But before that I was using a Tommy Hilfiger handbag which I bought in Century 21 in NYC about 7 years ago and that lasted me until earlier this year so I certainly got my money's worth from it!
    I will admit I have been tempted to buy a knock off bag (I know it's bold!), just cos it would be cheaper...

I did buy a knock off bag once, but I'm so oblivious to designers and branding that I didn't realise it was a knock off of something (bought it from a guy selling bags on the street in Rome). I thought he was nervous and sketchy because he was selling real suede cheap.

Anyway, went out with it one night and a girl in the group had a genuine version of whatever it was. She was at pains to point out the flaws of the knock off. Personally I couldn't see much of a difference. Tiny details and lining. It was a grand bag, lasted years.

I did buy a knock off bag once, but I'm so oblivious to designers and branding that I didn't realise it was a knock off of something (bought it from a guy selling bags on the street in Rome). I thought he was nervous and sketchy because he was selling real suede cheap.

Anyway, went out with it one night and a girl in the group had a genuine version of whatever it was. She was at pains to point out the flaws of the knock off. Personally I couldn't see much of a difference. Tiny details and lining. It was a grand bag, lasted years.

Is it wrong to judge people who do this?

LeeLooLee wrote: »
    Is it wrong to judge people who do this?

I didn't really mind tbh. I'd rather have had my cheap bag on the night than her expensive one, she was terrified it'd get damaged or stolen and was "minding" it all night. Whereas I just dumped mine in the corner and had a good time!

I'm probably the perfect person for knock offs seeing as I don't really see the value in an expensive bag. But she would have hated to have the knock off, so we each had the bag that made us happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Actually that reminds me I did by a knock off Louis Vuitton bag in Rome 4 years ago on honeymoon, now I knew it was knock off when I bought it but in my defence I did deliberate with myself (and my husband who didn't give a monkeys!) over buying it. I haven't really used it a whole lot to be honest, it is obvious that it's not real as it doesn't have the LV symbols on it and it just feels a bit cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,178 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was in Kuala Lumpur there during the summer. Place is full of designer stores. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them looked the same! Each was a sparsely stocked store with about 5 staff on duty and noone in them. The bags all looked the same!

I get this quality thing. I love good leather. But the designer thing is a complete and utter rip off. Its all marketing and no substance. The designer bags are more of a rip off than the knock offs.

In my opinion of course and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I often wonder if the wonderful designer bags are made in the same places that Penneys etc. bags are made.

Does anyone actually know if they are made in a la di da upmarket workspace with yoga for breakfast and soft music as you work.

Think about it.

Designer stuff is a ridiculous price. Why is that? Some people think it is a great cachet or something. Listen ladies, no one notices except you!

Those who use designer labels are probably causing third world slavery and debt.

If anyone can contradict me, I am open to persuasion.

Advertisement