Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Has anyone tried the Currach whiskey yet? It was recommended to me by a "good source" so I picked it up (against my better judgement). It was always going to struggle against the 6 Waterford whiskies that my friend and I had between us for a "tasting" but I have to say I did not care for it. Interesting initial flavor but the overwhelming seaweed flavor from the unique barrel charring process did nothing for me. As per the review below its quite reminiscent of a heavily peated Scotch, which Im also not a fan of. Should have picked up the Redbreast or Irishman 12 I went in for...

https://potstilled.com/2020/03/13/the-currach-seaweed-charred-cask-irish-whiskey/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

cycocycle wrote:
    Has anyone tried the Currach whiskey yet? It was recommended to me by a "good source" so I picked it up (against my better judgement). It was always going to struggle against the 6 Waterford whiskies that my friend and I had between us for a "tasting" but I have to say I did not care for it. Interesting initial flavor but the overwhelming seaweed flavor from the unique barrel charring process did nothing for me. As per the review below its quite reminiscent of a heavily peated Scotch, which Im also not a fan of. Should have picked up the Redbreast or Irishman 12 I went in for...

Tried it a couple of times. I like it but not enough to buy a bottle. One of the tasting notes I have for it is roast chicken skin so it is a unique dram! There is definitely a smokey brininess to it so if you don't like peat it won't be for you. They also do a cask strength version.

Writers Tears have a seaweed IPA Cask finish which might be a more subtle if people want to try whiskey with seaweed. The Currach whiskey is dried seaweed burnt in the cask to create a charring whilst the writers tears is a whiskey aged in a barrel that previously contained seaweed infused IPA.

I was at a method and madness tasting with Midleton master distiller and former head of maturation Kevin O Gorman and he just laughed when asked about using seaweed with whiskey. He said they have no plans to ever use it.

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Would smoky be an accurate description of that whisky?

I think the older a peated whiskey gets the influence of the smoke starts to lessen especially once it gets over 20 years. I'll post here when I try it.

[All the Knappogue is from Bushmills though isn't it?]

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

tyrconnell-maderia-cask-irish-whiskey-22.jpg

Recently bought a bottle of this. Really enjoying it, sweet with a limited amount of spice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Cazale wrote: »
    I think the older a peated whiskey gets the influence of the smoke starts to lessen especially once it gets over 20 years. I'll post here when I try it.

It's still an Islay and it's still a Laphroaig. Regardless of age, "smoky" will ALWAYS be accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Jameson had a Seaweed based bitters available for a while. I use it to make Old Fashioneds every now and again. It goes nicely with Connemara.

It's still an Islay and it's still a Laphroaig. Regardless of age, "smoky" will ALWAYS be accurate.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I've liked the few moderately peated whiskeys I've tried so far, so thought I'd chance it.

IMAG1841.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

What did you think? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Recently bought a bottle of this. Really enjoying it, sweet with a limited amount of spice.

This is a whiskey that I keep coming back to.
    It often feels like my favourite Irish whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭2011abc

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    tyrconnell-maderia-cask-irish-whiskey-22.jpg

Nice but not worth double the basic Tyrconnel Malt which could be my 'if you could drink only one normal whiskey for life ' tipple ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭2011abc

Cazale wrote: »
    Great post especially at 2am after drinking whiskey! I'm partial to a glass of Powers Johns Lane and think it's one of the best examples of pot still whiskey. There was a cask strength version sampled at the Belfast Whiskey Week which would have been interesting to try.

I love the Scottish sherry bombs like the glendronach 18 and glengoyne 25. I can't think of any Irish Whiskey finished in sherry casks that come anywhere near those two.

Teeling Brabazon vol 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

2011abc wrote: »
    Teeling Brabazon vol 1?

A lovely whiskey, I wouldn't fault it. But the two scotch cazale mentioned are aged solely in sherry casks, not just finished like the teeling. They are true 'sherry bombs' as they say, the natural colour in them tells the tale really.

Tasted some Indian whiskey the other night from Paul John and it was a revelation. Their Kanya and Peated select cask releases were both stunning. Looked them up in the Whisky Bible and they both scored 96 which says it all. Well worth a try.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I've heard good things about their whisky, must get some to try.

mik_da_man wrote:
    I've heard good things about their whisky, must get some to try.

The humidity means they lose 8% of the cask ever year whereas somewhere like Midleton only loses 1-2%. Both those whiskeys are only 7 year old but the humidity/temperature in goa speeds up the wood interaction and gives them a much more complex whiskey than the age suggests.

Whiskey Live 2020 has been cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Cazale wrote:
    Whiskey Live 2020 has been cancelled.

Unsurprisingly so. Hopefully they try and do something like BWW last week

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Where do you folks buy your whisky?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Supermarkets - when on offer in Ireland or when I'm up north (being close to the border helps)

Off licence - when offers are on. O'Briens and Celtic Whiskey are useful spots

Gifts- If anyone ever asks me for a gift idea I say a bottle of whiskey (just not the regulars Bushmills, Jameson, Powers or Paddy)

Speaking of I'd my 40th in May and a close frined dropped me in a bottle of Drumshanbo whiskey last week. Looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

brinty wrote: »

Off licence - when offers are on. O'Briens and Celtic Whiskey are useful spots

As above. I was also buying quite a lot at the airports due to frequent travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Speaking of I'd my 40th in May and a close frined dropped me in a bottle of Drumshanbo whiskey last week. Looks interesting.

People give out about the price and the age of this - usually without tasting the product.
    I tried it and liked it. Found it well made and refined.

People give out about the price and the age of this - usually without tasting the product.
    I tried it and liked it. Found it well made and refined.

TBF people need to taste before commenting

I was at the Liberties event in BWW and their stuff is amazing. The master distiller is doing great work even though their own stock is still aging.

The liquid they've bought in and mash bills and aging are superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Has anybody tried glenfarclas whisky? Or coopers choice? Yay/Nay?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

TBF people need to taste before commenting

I was at the Liberties event in BWW and their stuff is amazing. The master distiller is doing great work even though their own stock is still aging.

The liquid they've bought in and mash bills and aging are superb.

I missed the event and going to watch it back online. What's the last whiskey in the set?
    The card in the box says it's the murder lane 16 year old. I assume it is murder lane which is a 13 yo rather than the keepers coin 16yo?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tesco, which often has ridiculous offers
    O'Briens
    Indie in Marino - Sweeneys - bit dear but has stuff you won't find elsewhere at times
    Airports
    Tesco in Holyhead :pac: - they actually have slightly different products due to having less Irish and backfilling with more Scotch/American; and I've got mad offers like half-sized bottles of Chivas for £7.

actuar90 wrote: »
    I missed the event and going to watch it back online. What's the last whiskey in the set?
    The card in the box says it's the murder lane 16 year old. I assume it is murder lane which is a 13 yo rather than the keepers coin 16yo?

i think they said that was a misprint on the card so its a 13yo as you said.

Has anybody tried glenfarclas whisky? Or coopers choice? Yay/Nay?

Glenfarclas, tried it during the BWW scots whiskey session. Thought it was nice enough but preferred most of the others.

Spicy and sherberty sweet on the nose. Spiciness drops off and the sweetness remains, a kind of artificial sweetness but nice.

Not as much depth, or sweetness in the taste but still nice enough, slight bitter finish.

• Advertisement

Beanstalk wrote: »
    What did you think? :)

I didn't dislike the laphroaig, but I was a little a disappointed. I was expecting to be blown away by the smokiness but didn't seem to be any more than the Connemara.

Compared them there and the laphraoig does seem to be more of a rough, dirtier smokiness and I didn't really get much sweetness or other flavours.
    Really like the Connemara, makes me feel like I'm drinking more of a sweet, clean smoke, delicious campfire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement