Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**The wtf plumbing thread**

• 22-11-2013 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Thread for when you find the maddest things.

Photos please. Not a ya know what I saw years ago.

If quoting, dont quote the pictures just the writing.
    Post edited by Wearb on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I'll start it off with this one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Thread for when you find the maddest things.

Photos please. Not a ya know what I saw years ago.

If quoting, dont quote the pictures just the writing.

some fine plumbing in county cork

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Who would have guessed that you could use a McDonalds cheese burger as a float

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭paddy_joe

Who plumbs a pump in like that?

Short extensions not problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

paddy_joe wrote: »
    Who plumbs a pump in like that?

Farmers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 clocker13

...New way to arrange baffles !!! Customer complained of a lot of black smoke coming out of the boiler!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭jimf

at least there was a few baffles in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

I can't get a good picture of this so a description will have to do.

Under our bath I found a strange pipe that did nothing, might have been for a wash basin at some stage any way the end that wasn't connected terminated in a 1/2'compression fitting with a piece of wood hammered in the end to block the flow. The compression fitting was attached to about 6 inches of copper pipe which was sweated on to 1/2' alkathene, about 3 foot down from the end was what I can only guess was a "repair " consisting of another 6 inches of copper with a compression fitting in the middle and jubilee clips on the alkathene pipe, back at the mains end the alkathene was again sweated over the copper. Somewhere in that lot there is also a genuine Philmatic alkathene connection but as its under the back of the bath I can't get to it to see exactly. All that in about 7ft of pipe?

Interesting point here is that the cottage had a water supply off the mains with a pressure of up to 160psi until a pressure reducing valve was put in - we are at the bottom of hill and the mains has to go up to houses a few hundred feet above us.

Short extensions not problem

I might start a storm here but can anyone explain what the ptfe tape is supposed to do on the thread side of the olive?

I see it on work that's been done by professional plumbers and can't understand what the advantage is, its a compression fitting and nothing should be getting as far as the threads in the first place? A turn of ptfe on the joint side of the olive maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I might start a storm here but can anyone explain what the ptfe tape is supposed to do on the thread side of the olive?

I see it on work that's been done by professional plumbers and can't understand what the advantage is, its a compression fitting and nothing should be getting as far as the threads in the first place? A turn of ptfe on the joint side of the olive maybe.

PTFE has some very strange properties, besides its obvious use in plumbing. I think it is also has the ability to reduce friction.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    PTFE has some very strange properties, besides its obvious use in plumbing. I think it is also has the ability to reduce friction.

But can that also lead to poorly made joints due to over tightening?

But can that also lead to poorly made joints due to over tightening?

Anyone who would use it on those treads could be capable of doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Anytime, and I mean anytime, I see PTFE used as you describe, I know the person who did the work had absolutely no clue about plumbing. Was probably the local postman who got his hands on a box of spanners, vice grips, and a hacksaw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

So I got this call about the "Boiler" making funny noises!!

2013-11-18104033.jpg

2013-11-18104338.jpg

2013-11-18110010.jpg

K.Flyer wrote: »

I don't get it........what was wrong :):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

K.Flyer wrote: »

The pex off the cylinder was the least of their problems!!

Sometimes wouldn't ya be half afraid to try unscrew a emersion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

A coupla' 45s did the trick !!!

2012-07-25193447.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

Nice neat run of the supply cable to the shower, you'd hardly notice it in the corner :eek:
    283906.JPG

• Advertisement

deandean wrote: »
    Nice neat run of the supply cable to the shower, you'd hardly notice it in the corner :eek:

Plumbing is every bit as bad.:eek:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

deandean wrote: »

Looks like some smoke damage in there. Bad wiring maybe? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Must be some ol Minger to have a shower Loofah as black as that, great advert for LinX.

Must be some ol Minger to have a shower Loofah as black as that, great advert for LinX.

Place belongs to a chimney sweep :)

Multiwick madness and joints don't seal first day? No problem denso and paint

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

Multiwick madness and joints don't seal first day? No problem denso and paint

haha that last one dear lord!

rightjob! wrote: »
    haha that last one dear lord!

I think its funny they started with a offset. With that many multi's its as flexible as a flexy multi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

There could be a lesson here for all the students who are going out into the big bad world of rental accommodation.....

Another one for the students.......

288160.jpg

• Advertisement

shane0007 wrote: »
    There could be a lesson here for all the students who are going out into the big bad world of rental accommodation.....

I spend alot of time in student houses. Some are lovely most arent. Entertaining anyway

Advertisement