Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New road being built Clonee-Leixlip

• 31-07-2007 7:50pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know anything about the new road being built between Clonee and Leixlip-Confey? From driving around the area I've figured out that it's going to follow roughly the route in the map I've attached. Most of it lies within Co. Meath. It seems to be generally similar to this road though with a somewhat different alignment.

I'd like more detail about it, when it's supposed to be finished, the width, the tie-in at Clonee etc.

Edit: Just found out that it's called the "Ongar to Barnhill Distributor Road".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

I was curious about this myself.

found this link

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Minutes/2007/FF/0402/FF20070211.htm

Description of the Nature and Extent of the Proposed Development and the Principal Features thereof: -

1. The construction of 1,160 m of four-lane carriageway from the Ongar Road in a south-westerly direction to tie in with the existing R149 Lucan Clonee Road at Barberstown Lane South.

2. The proposed new carriageway includes for 2 number 3.5 metre wide all purposes vehicle lanes, 2 number 3.0 wide metre bus lanes together with a central reservation 2.6 metres wide inclusive of a containment road safety barrier divide. The scheme also includes for footpaths, cycle tracks, grass verges, surface water road drainage, public lighting, landscaping and boundary treatment on both sides of the new road.

3. The provision of a new signalised Junction with right turning lanes at the proposed entrance to the SDZ lands and the proposed site for the primary and post primary school sites.

4. The construction of a new railway crossing south of the proposed SDZ lands and re-alignment of the existing 110 KV ESB overhead lines.

5. The construction of a 70 metre Inscribed Circle Diameter Roundabout adjacent to the junction of the Lucan Clonee Road and Barberstown Lane South.

6. The construction of 700 metres of 9.0 metre wide all-purpose carriageway together with 2 No. 28 metre Inscribed Circle Diameter Roundabouts inclusive of revised access accommodation works together with footpaths, cycletracks and grass verges on both sides of new road along and abutting Barberstown Lane South from Roundabout referred to at No. 5 above and as shown on sheets 3 and 4 of public display drawings.

7. The construction of 285 metres of 7.0 metre wide carriageway northwards along the Lucan Clonee Road from Roundabout referred to at No. 5 above together with grass margin, footpath, cycle track and boundary treatment on eastern side of new road.

8. The construction of 200 metres of varying width of carriageway southwards from Roundabout referred to at No. 5 above together with a right turning standing lane to tie into existing Lucan Clonee Road and junction at Passifyoucan.

9. Re-location of existing services in the area of the proposed works to accommodate surface water drainage, public lighting & ducting in the realigned section of road.

10. Provision of the appropriate road signage and lining.

The Ongar to Barnhill Distributor Road is the most northern section of a future link from Ongar to the N4 as identified in the County Development Plan 2005-2011. It is predicted that this route will replace the existing R149 Lucan to Clonee when complete.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

So they propose to slap a 60kph limit on it when the existing much worse road has a 80kph speed limit!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

spacetweek wrote:
    Does anyone know anything about the new road being built between Clonee and Leixlip-Confey? From driving around the area I've figured out that it's going to follow roughly the route in the map I've attached. Most of it lies within Co. Meath. It seems to be generally similar to this road though with a somewhat different alignment.

I'd like more detail about it, when it's supposed to be finished, the width, the tie-in at Clonee etc.

Edit: Just found out that it's called the "Ongar to Barnhill Distributor Road".

Is there anything on the Kildare Co Co website? Or Meath Co Co?

Why only fingal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

If you're referring to the work that is currently underway in the fields to the west of the current Clonee to Lucan road.... It's not a Road.... They are laying a water main.

Although there is a new road planned, that won't be too far away from this alignment. Begs the question why they didn't carry out both projects at the same time!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Skyhater wrote:
    If you're referring to the work that is currently underway in the fields to the west of the current Clonee to Lucan road.... It's not a Road.... They are laying a water main.

Although there is a new road planned, that won't be too far away from this alignment. Begs the question why they didn't carry out both projects at the same time!!!!

Where are the works being carried out on the Lucan-Clonee road (never heard of it being called that but I know where your talking about)

• Advertisement

kearnsr wrote:
    Where are the works being carried out on the Lucan-Clonee road (never heard of it being called that but I know where your talking about)
    I guess technically it's the R149....
    From what i can see the Water Main Alignment follows this route.
    I think it continues onto Clonee.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Skyhater wrote:

Yep - seems strange. Are you sure that's just the watermain? Seems like a very wide path?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭ongarite

Yep its definately a water main. It ends/starts at the Community Centre in Leixlip opposite Intel the whole way to the Blanchardstown side of Clonee opposite the statue of the Holy Mary...

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

......and it then continues on the other side of the N3 opposite the entrance to Kepak, and then it winds its way into Damastown and crosses over in front of the IBM site, and seems to continue onwards from there, to where, God only knows !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭mackerski

jrar wrote:
    ......and it then continues on the other side of the N3 opposite the entrance to Kepak, and then it winds its way into Damastown and crosses over in front of the IBM site, and seems to continue onwards from there, to where, God only knows !

This begins to make more sense. I was on a plane a week or so ago, and saw the excavations near Clonee that kicked off the thread. I also saw what looked like work to dual the Cruiserath Road (back end of Blanchardstown towards Damastown). It does look like they will dual it, as there is a new roundabout being built to suitable dimensions at the Church Road junction. As against that, there are two small industrial units along the alignment that would need to be demolished.

But Pretty much directly at the spot where the Cruiserath Road ends at Blanchardstown Road North is a big Fingal water reservoir with a new water tower. This is the destination of the new water main.

Whether they'll also build a new road on top is anyone's guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mackerski wrote:
    I also saw what looked like work to dual the Cruiserath Road (back end of Blanchardstown towards Damastown). It does look like they will dual it, as there is a new roundabout being built to suitable dimensions at the Church Road junction. As against that, there are two small industrial units along the alignment that would need to be demolished.
    That's possible but I think the roundabout you saw under construction was this.

CPO: Tyrrelstown to N2 link road.

A Compulsory Purchase Order has been submitted for the development of the Tyrellstown to N2 link road.

This development will include 4.4km of new dual carriageway, the widening, to a dual carriageway, of the 600 metre road from Cruiserath Road to Tyrellstown and six new large roundabouts.

This new road will link Church Road and Ballycoolin Road to the N2 at Cherryhound Interchange.

When you put all these together it looks like they are building an outer ring road from the N2 to N3 to N4. And we already have one from the N7 to N4. It should take some preasure off the M50.

Ice_Box wrote:
    When you put all these together it looks like they are building an outer ring road from the N2 to N3 to N4. And we already have one from the N7 to N4. It should take some preasure off the M50.
    Yes, and the N7 to N81 section is due to be completed in summer 2008.

Unfortunately they're leaving the most crucial part, the new Liffey crossing, till last.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

As I understand it, a Liffey Crossing just east of Lucan (i.e. Woodies on N4) is no longer on any development plans. I recall rumours of some plans for West side - i.e. Celbridge interchange - but obviously that wouldn't join up with the ORR on Southside as built. An liffey bridge at Celbridge interchange would link up with a new network of roads North of Lucan - between Laraghcon in Lucan, Confey in Leixlip, Clonee and Ongar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭mackerski

spacetweek wrote:
    That's possible but I think the roundabout you saw under construction was this.

Without question. That completely matches what I've seen on the ground and from the air.

As I understand it, a Liffey Crossing just east of Lucan (i.e. Woodies on N4) is no longer on any development plans. I recall rumours of some plans for West side - i.e. Celbridge interchange - but obviously that wouldn't join up with the ORR on Southside as built. An liffey bridge at Celbridge interchange would link up with a new network of roads North of Lucan - between Laraghcon in Lucan, Confey in Leixlip, Clonee and Ongar.

The N4 upgrade was due to start this month. Does anyone know if thats changed? Its mentioned on etenders. (Total final value of the contract 46,623,443 EUR Annual or monthly value) :eek:

http://www.e-tenders.gov.ie/search/search_show.aspx?ID=JUL089635

edit
    just got this reply from Roads Department

Dear Mr. xxx,

The contract for the N4 upgrade has been signed by the Council with Jons Civil Engineering. The scheme extends from the M50 works at the eastern end and finishes at the Leixlip Interchange. It is a design and build contract and work is expected to commence on site in September with a contract period of 24 months. The contractor is at present preparing the detailed design and a programme of works.

Regards

John Mc Loughlin
    BE MBA CEng FIEI
    Senior Engineer
    Roads Department

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

spacetweek wrote:
    Unfortunately they're leaving the most crucial part, the new Liffey crossing, till last.

Wasn't a new Liffey crossing prohibited under the terms of that wonderful give-away contract that Pee Flynn et al signed with NTR for the WestLink ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jrar wrote:
    Wasn't a new Liffey crossing prohibited under the terms of that wonderful give-away contract that Pee Flynn et al signed with NTR for the WestLink ?
    Only on the M50.

The new Liffey crossing will join the N4 at the Leixlip East/Celbridge East Junction. This will be part of the outer ring road.
    They had originally planned for the ORR to join the N4 at Woodies, but it was felt that this was too close to the M50 and would choke the ORR......personally i can still see this happen.

You can see the road alignment here and here
    Notice how the alignment swings west on Map 6.
    Planning permission signs are in place for the section between the Ongar Roundabout and Barnhill.

Skyhater wrote:
    The new Liffey crossing will join the N4 at the Leixlip East/Celbridge East Junction. This will be part of the outer ring road.
    They had originally planned for the ORR to join the N4 at Woodies, but it was felt that this was too close to the M50 and would choke the ORR......personally i can still see this happen.

You can see the road alignment here and here
    Notice how the alignment swings west on Map 6.
    Planning permission signs are in place for the section between the Ongar Roundabout and Barnhill.
    I've been trying to figure out where Barnhill is. Is this it?

• Advertisement

Yep... That's it!!!

Ready for the bumping sound as I resurrect this one.

It's been nearly 18 months since this was last discussed... Does anyone know if there's any activity on the above road? According to this tender, the deadline was back in July.

Why does all road construction in Fingal seem to be dead at the mo? The N2 to Tyrrelstown and Ballycoolin road has been at tender for ages too, with no progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

I have heard from local landowners that the N2 to Tyrrelstonw Road is die to be built in the next few months. Infact, some of it has been built. Behind the hotel some of the road has been built as far as the ESB lands, it's not much, but it is a start I guess. I don't know about the Clonee to leixlip Road but if I hear anything I'll let you know. I'll be out that way in the next few weeks with a few of the local landowners

Ward cross is finally getting a roundabout too I see.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Ice_Box wrote: »
    have they finally reached the deaths to Cost ratio they've been waiting for?

Bump!

Clifton Scannell seemingly got the contract for this a while back but since it's part funded by Menolly homes, we won't be seeing it for ages.
    I have heard from local landowners that the N2 to Tyrrelstonw Road is die to be built in the next few months. Infact, some of it has been built. Behind the hotel some of the road has been built as far as the ESB lands, it's not much, but it is a start I guess. I don't know about the Clonee to leixlip Road but if I hear anything I'll let you know. I'll be out that way in the next few weeks with a few of the local landowners
    You said this in 2008, but in fact it didn't start till September 2011! Should be complete by Feb 2013. However the road heading for the ESB lands you mention is actually a different road.
    Ice_Box wrote: »
    This is now under construction.

Bump!

With the passing of a Barnhill LAP, this road is finally, finally going to get underway soon, according to the CIS newsletter I received:
    €13.6m Distributor Road

A main contractor is expected to be appointed in the coming months for the construction of new €13.6m distributor road from Ongar to Barnhill, Dublin 15. Works are expected to take in the region of 18 months to complete.

On p.36 of the LAP document there's a map of the new roads to be built, which are quite comprehensive. Interestingly, if you go back to post 2 of this thread from 2007, the description of what will be done is almost identical.

1. New road from Ongar beside the Educate Together school to junction of R149 and Barberstown Lane South.
    2. New road right alongside Barberstown Lane South, replacing it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Really badly needed - the current roads are unsuitable in every way possible; from the backtracking to the junction designs and primarily safety.

LAP also has pedestrian access through Hansfield station to the new local roads for the area which is incredibly sensible and something we don't really do enough of here - when you already have a bridging/tunnelling structure that could reduce severance just sodding use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

More roads, more traffic, more air pollution, more noise pollution.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Zebra3 wrote: »
    More roads, more traffic, more air pollution, more noise pollution.

:rolleyes:

Do you intend to build houses with only pedestrian access?

Advertisement