Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday - Friday windstorms & snow - REPORTS AND CHAT THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Helen Curran just said Blizzard like conditions in the NW tomorrow!
    Didn't think she had it in her!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Snow showers in ne and e later on Thursday. Blizzard like conditions in nw tomorrow.

RTE News at One weather was full of surprises. No reference to Thursday's potential storm as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Peter,

So evocative, and before we moved to Ireland, been there, done that, shredded the T shirt in spades, the moors of South West England can be very unpredictable and weather exactly like you've described, other than possibly not quite as cold, is common, and because it's localised to the moors, people even 30 miles away don't realise how tricky it can be. Many the time it would be raining at home, and only 5 miles away, 800 Ft higher up, there could be up to 6" of wet snow in foggy blizzard conditions waiting for the unwary.

Hmmm. Not liking the sound of that.

Tell me, would Exeter or Plymouth or Newton Abbot be affected by the moors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

The wind has really picked up here in the last hour. Heavy rain with it and feeling very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Some minor flooding in spots around Cork city at the moment. Nothing too bad, but it's still coming down hard out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Hmmm. Not liking the sound of that.

Tell me, would Exeter or Plymouth or Newton Abbot be affected by the moors?

in terms of snow, not much, as they are all relatively low level, so it could well be raining in any or all of them, but blizzard conditions on the moors.

What can be tricky is direct road between them, as the roads go over high ground, between Newton Abbot and Exeter you have the Haldon Hills range, with some steep gradients (A380) and altitude to add to the mix, and between Exeter and Plymouth Haldon hills again, but different road (A38) and then later, the southern edge of Dartmoor, but relatively low compared to the highest ground, which is further north, so not usually too serious, unless there's general snow across the whole area, in which case, the higher you are, the worse it gets.

Family live in Exeter, so know the area very well indeed. Still visit regularly, so know what's changing roads wise.

If the weather is really bad, there is an alternative route along the coast from Exeter to Newton Abbot, much lower, but still one or 2 tricky hills if there is general snow around.

Hope that helps

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Winds picking up in Waterford City, Average 31km/h Max gust 60km/h, 9.8mm of rain since Midnight.

www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxindex.php

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A nice few strikes appearing off the NW coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Good evening Boardsies :)

Hope you're all well and have everything stowed away for the evening.

Settling in for the evening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Coffee /
    Beers /
    Smokes /
    Candles /
    Batteries /
    Lap & iPhone charging /
    Garden debris removed /
    Relations warned /
    Fuel stocked up /
    Cat in /
    Car away from trees /
    No work till Thursday /

Ok.... Bring it on.

• Advertisement

Right the kettles boiled. Let's keep the other thread for charts etc. if necessary I'll draw a chart of the path of the debris passing my window. We'll stay here and enjoy the show.

Seriously let's leave the other thread to the experts we'll learn a lot more reading what they have to say :)

I've been passing the time by scrubbing and polishing my recently constructed rain gauge.

Thought it an appropriate activity for the evening that's in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Thunder right now in NE county Galway....

Pasta and meat balls right now in North Dublin :P

Yum:)

It will be interesting to see what ME say about the next few days in a few minutes time. Fridays storm seems to have vanished.

Tomorrow they have max of 130kmh. Will they up that like last week to 140kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Been raining steadily here in Co.Wexford since midday,some strong gusts aswell.

Channel 5 news had a report on this weeks storms with a weather alert in effect for pretty much most of the week bar Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

A bit of rain here in Limerick, I am not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Is that the storm system pushing into the west, indicated on www.raintoday.co.uk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

My Oregan pressure alarm has been going off since midday - first time this year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Birdnuts wrote: »
    My Oregan pressure alarm has been going off since midday - first time this year:D

Just a few Millibars away from a weather bomb? I show a drop of 20 millibars today. :eek:

184932.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Barely a breath of wind here at the moment, i was expecting it to be wild this evening, but no sign of anything? My parents in SE England are saying its stormy there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

gbee wrote: »
    Just a few Millibars away from a weather bomb? I show a drop of 20 millibars today. :eek:

184932.jpg
    Could that be why my ears feel like they are about to pop ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

How was the ME forecast just now? Missed it . . .

Rough for w and nw tomorrow. Didn't even mention the word Friday though. She stuttered when she kinda said Wednesday would be a restbite. Seemed not to confident of that.
    Think she mentioned every weather feature known for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Crap missed the forecast! Recap anyone?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Not wrote: »
    Could that be why my ears feel like they are about to pop ?

Sure, it's a fast fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Basically the same as is being forecast here, stormy tomorrow especially for the north and west, wintry showers, thunder & flooding. Avoided saying anything much about Thursday or Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Anyone see the "forecast" on TV3 at 1730?

Unbelievably amateurish - vague, unclear, (despite the forecaster's name being Clear) and confusing.....no mention of the possible severity of the weather tomorrow.

At one stage he said "blah, blah, which means that clouds will be broken up......." in an OMG sort of way, at which point I awoke from my coma to think....wha? wha? :confused: Clouds breaking up? That MUST be severe.....not.

I have no problem with peeps learning the weather - it really is incredibly difficult as I have learned from here - but jeepers, so vague as to be almost irresponsible.

OK rant over - time to settle down to a night of F5ing (instead of lamp-post watching which I'd much prefer....)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some hairy weather moving through the centre of the country, squally showery clusters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Really pouring down here for the past few hours, looks like a while yet before the rain clears as well, spot flooding inevitable

Advertisement