Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of custom retro bicycles around?

• 22-08-2012 8:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

I have noticed a lot of retro custom bikes around Dublin, where are these coming from? They look like bikes from the 70's and have been painted in cool colours and have cool wheels and tyres fitted to them. I havent had a close up look at any yet just notice them around Dublin city centre. I'd really like one too. Are people making them themselves or is there somewhere selling these type of bikes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭happytramp

They are mostly for children though. So if you're over 20 you might look a bit of a prat on a bike that looks like it was made by fisher price.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Inbox wrote: »
    I havent had a close up look at any yet just notice them around Dublin city centre.
    Because thay are prety much useless anywhere else ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

Seweryn wrote: »
    Because thay are prety much useless anywhere else ;).

That's not strictly true. A fixed wheel bike is perfectly usable in all but the most hilly terrain. If it isn't, then the gearing is too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭happytramp

piston wrote: »
    That's not strictly true. A fixed wheel bike is perfectly usable in all but the most hilly terrain. If it isn't, then the gearing is too high.

And to be fair, I think a lot of pro's use them for winter training too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

happytramp wrote: »
    And to be fair, I think a lot of pro's use them for winter training too.
    I'd love to know if that's actually true. I don't believe it but it may well be. Obree used to use one, that's about all I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Lads where are the coming from? I found a place called Rothar.ie are they the ones making them up?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd love to know if that's actually true. I don't believe it but it may well be. Obree used to use one, that's about all I know of.

AFAIK up to around the 80s, some pros did. But I haven't heard of anyone using one in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Loads of them on adverts all the time: http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/sports-fitness/207/q_fixie/

They're usually known as fixies. You'll see lots of them outside the Bernard Shaw at weekends and I used to often see a group meeting up at one of the corners of Stephen's Green.

They used to be kind of cool and a little bit different but now every skobie kid in the city has one. (The ones who aren't wheelie-ing around on ridiculously expensive mountain bikes)

They should also be cycled with no brakes:
    no%2Bbrakes%2Btattoo.jpg

Edit: OP could also be talking about the wave of High Nellie/Dutch Bkes that has recently hit. Angel Cruisers on the North Quays sell these.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

AFAIK up to around the 80s, some pros did. But I haven't heard of anyone using one in recent years.

I was reading an article in Procycling recently about a pro extolling the benefits of a fixed gear in Winter... Can't remember who for the life of me though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I've seen some of these around :

http://www.funkedupfixies.com/index.php?gclid=COWHze-E_LECFcOL4QodUkUALA

..they dont look that nice up close.

Advertisement