Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just connect the firewall machine directly to the ONT. Once it can do VLAN tagging on WAN you don't need the eir router at all.

I cannot wait to learn more about FTTH when I hopefully get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Headshot wrote: »

Learn how to vlan tag now, it's a very basic setting to turn it on if supported.
    Learning how to bridge a router you have never used before will be far more complicated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not much to learn once you get it installed because everything just works buttery smooth all the time. You won't know yourself when you get it. It really is life transforming going from less than 10 meg to 150+.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Any opinions on the Asus AC88U, either need a wireless router with link aggregation or a wired one without and a separate wifi ap. Will need 2/3 wifi AP on top of this, so if I went with Asus for router I'd probably get them for the other APs as well.

Out of curiosity I went onto Digiweb and did a service checker on my Eircode and interestedly it came with the following:

JTOXCGc.png?1

xWwiXcV.png

I wonder is this legit but I would expect get alot better speeds though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

A lot better speeds than 1000/100Mb/s? That what it says in the top image. If 150Mb/s is available to you 1000Mb/s is available.

A lot better speeds than 1000/100Mb/s? That what it says in the top image. If 150Mb/s is available to you 1000Mb/s is available.

cheers Navi I was thinking that alright.

I dont have any intention of going to Digiweb (I dont have much time for them) but it's interesting to know is FTTH actually available now.

The likes of Eir still saying only DSL is available

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I dont have any intention of going to Digiweb (I dont have much time for them) but it's interesting to know is FTTH actually available now.

What's the Airwire product check at http://airwire.ie/avail saying ?

/M

Some ISPs are more proactive about updating their checkers. What does the Airwire checker say?

Marlow wrote: »
    What's the Airwire product check at http://airwire.ie/avail saying ?

/M
    Some ISPs are more proactive about updating their checkers. What does the Airwire checker say?

:)

Available 20-11-2019

• Advertisement

:)

Available 20-11-2019

I'd trust that more than the Digiweb one.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭limktime

Out of curiosity, once the DPs are in place, what physical work is left to do at that point before FTTH is available to order?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They seem to work backwards, so I think they run fibre from the first DP back to the exchange. I don't know if there is work at the exchange they also have to do. In my case they had to sort out ducting in the village which resulted in a two month delay for me - which is how I know they work backward.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

cnocbui wrote: »
    They seem to work backwards, so I think they run fibre from the first DP back to the exchange. I don't know if there is work at the exchange they also have to do. In my case they had to sort out ducting in the village which resulted in a two month delay for me - which is how I know they work backward.

The OLT needs to be installed and commissioned in the exchange.

If there is any equipment that has issues on delivery, the process is delayed.

Also, sometimes new fibre circuits need to be brought to the exchange to feed it.

All of that often happens after the DPs and fibre is in place.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I guess options are somewhat limited but at least Digiweb, Airwire and Westnet have reps that will engage with people in an honest manner on this forum. Digiweb have some sales practices I sometimes don't agree with but they are far better than Sky, Vodafone and Eir. Those larger companies are only a good option for people who need a phone and/or TV package. Two of them have talk to forums on Boards but the reps can be very unhelpful and never want to talk openly, only in direct messages.
    I'm also sick of the good offer to draw you in for 12 months and massive price increases after that and will no longer support it if I can.
    Just give me a fair service at a fair price and leave it at that. But only the smaller companies will offer such packages.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

Hi all - hope this isn't a derailing post and OK to query this here....

Have initial visit/install happening tomorrow, FTTH ordered via Digiweb, but I know that's it's KN that do the site visit. I understand from others that, assuming all goes well and they are able to run the cable without any hitting any blockages in the ducts or other impediments, they will just do the install into the room/wall which is closest to the external location/route that the cable comes from.
    1. Is the above a correct understanding or is there any 'negotiating' with them?
    2. What does the internal install consist of, just a box on the wall with an RJ45 connector?
    3. I assume a power source colocated is also required for the router?

Thanks for any input!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

tobdom wrote: »

Have initial visit/install happening tomorrow, FTTH ordered via Digiweb, but I know that's it's KN that do the site visit. I understand from others that, assuming all goes well and they are able to run the cable without any hitting any blockages in the ducts or other impediments, they will just do the install into the room/wall which is closest to the external location/route that the cable comes from.

Is that a correct understanding or is there any 'negotiating' with them?
    What does the internal install consist of, just a box on the wall with an RJ45 connector?
    I assume a power source colocated is also required for the router?

Thanks for any input!

Depends on the installer

1. Is the above a correct understanding or is there any 'negotiating' with them?
    2. What does the internal install consist of, just a box on the wall with an RJ45 connector?
    3. I assume a power source colocated is also required for the router?

Thanks for any input!

Fibre-in-loft-2.jpg

I got two white boxes - one requiring power and another that doesn't and is where the fibre terminates, from which there is an optical patch cable to the other (PON) box. Then of course there's a router and in my case there was also a phone base station.

I belive some people get a single cradle the PON fits in and which the fibre cable terminates to.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

I got two white boxes - one requiring power and another that doesn't and is where the fibre terminates, from which there is an optical patch cable to the other (PON) box. Then of course there's a router and in my case there was also a phone base station.
    I belive some people get a single cradle the PON fits in and which the fibre cable terminates to.

Interesting that it would appear the install is in your attic space - I understood this was also a non-runner....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Interesting that it would appear the install is in your attic space - I understood this was also a non-runner....

It will depend on the installer.

I made it the easiest option. I also had power points and lighting in the loft and a power board to hand. I also offered and did pull the cable through the loft space to the installation point. It probably helped that the installer had his own set up in his loft.

For anyone with eir retail they are offering 12 months of free Amazon Prime Video for all broadband subscribers.

https://www.eir.ie/primevideo/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

here is a conundrum which even AVM Fritz support doesnt even have an answer for and just sent through a standard reply by email to me with the defacto 'unplug this , try that' ...

You know the Fritz 7530 wireless router that is supplied with many FTTH connections these days, well I have a HP Pavilion G6 Laptop I am using at the moment and most nights I just put the laptop into 'hibernate' and the the next morning it 'resumes' when i turn it back on . Now what it seems to be doing a lot is that it cannot find the SSID's broadcasted by the box - and neither can it find any SSID's of other items I have on the network in my house ... but all that shows up in the list is a neighbours SSID from their wireless router.

So, OK my first port of call I do what I normally tell others to do and that is turn off the wireless on the laptop with the 'wireless on off' button on the keyboard. same again my fritz SSID not showing in the list of 'available networks' (even though all this time my mobile phone is showing the fritz SSID and is connected to it)

OK so next thing I would tell people is to shut down the laptop completely and then power up the laptop again and you should see all available networks .. so I do that with mine and again, only the neighbours SSID shows up in the list.

The next thing I would tell people - make sure you have the latest drivers for the 802.11bgn wireless card in the laptop. So I check mine and yes it has the latest drivers.

The last thing I tell people to do then is turn off the router and then turn it back again - instead of going out to hall with mine i pick up my mobile phone, go on google, log into fritz box address and then choose 'reboot' in the configuration page then wait for about 2 minutes for it to all boot up and then after that I go into 'available networks' and the fritz box SSID shows up in the available networks list in windows 10 on my pavilion G6 at last! and then connects fine to that SSID without me doing anything else.

why am I experiencing this quite often , having to reboot the wireless router to get the SSID showing up in the available networks on the laptop? any ideas?

ts almost like the when I put the G6 laptop into hibernate its telling the Fritz box to stop broadcasting the SSID and more until I reboot the router.

If you turn off wifi on the phone and then turn it back on again, does it find the fritz? If so, it's likely the laptop.

Microsoft are still 5hit. My Xbox One X frequently can't see the wireless network when everything else can and needs a hard shut down and reboot to see it again - does it remember the f'n password? Oh no, you have to go through the pain of entering it again every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

Hi folks,

FTTH was installed in my estate last week by Secto, but Fibre is not showing available on any online checkers or speaking direct to ISPs.

Sky sent out a KN engineer today who confirmed FTTH is live but not commissioned, comissioned was a very vague term as to what that meant, but he couldn't give any timeframe on when it would be registered on Eirs systems and available to order.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction to find out? Eir just wanted to send out another KN engineer which would be wasting the poor dudes time and Openeir wont talk direct to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    If you've Android phone put on https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_IE and see what it tells you regarding signal strength and other sources of interference on other channels (not sure if you are rural or not).

I've three 7530s in a mesh. I've occasionally experienced wifi dropping and the device fail to reconnect to the nearest access point with the 7530s. Not sure if that's my house layout, some of my devices not supporting the latest 802.11kv standards or what. I'm sure though it would actually happen still if those were not 7530s and another manufacturers access point.

But having said that a quick toggle of the wifi off/on ALWAYS fixes the issue and a re-location of one device has reduced this happening even further. Also I never fail to see the SSID being broadcast.

LanceStorm wrote: »
    Hi folks,

FTTH was installed in my estate last week by Secto, but Fibre is not showing available on any online checkers or speaking direct to ISPs.

Sky sent out a KN engineer today who confirmed FTTH is live but not commissioned, comissioned was a very vague term as to what that meant, but he couldn't give any timeframe on when it would be registered on Eirs systems and available to order.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction to find out? Eir just wanted to send out another KN engineer which would be wasting the poor dudes time and Openeir wont talk direct to customers.

It can be from a couple of weeks to a couple of months. There is no way of knowing for sure. Regularly use the Airwire checker as it will give an estimated date of availability when it is released by open eir.

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

@Andy From Sligo

You said your laptop does not see either the Fritz nor other SSIDs but forgot to mention if during some of your tests (on/off wifi; reboot laptop; etc) if those other SSIDs reappeared.

Check the settings in the Fritz for something relating to power saving or some such, as it is possible it goes into power saving mode when unused over night.
    That power saving might include turning off wifi.
    It can reduce power to DECT transmitter where fitted, so might do something similar to wifi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

If you turn off wifi on the phone and then turn it back on again, does it find the fritz? If so, it's likely the laptop.

Microsoft are still 5hit. My Xbox One X frequently can't see the wireless network when everything else can and needs a hard shut down and reboot to see it again - does it remember the f'n password? Oh no, you have to go through the pain of entering it again every time.
    Hi could you even get a nat type on your xbox had no problems with ps4.Do you have the frizbox 7530.

Advertisement