Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

Photos of white phosphorous bombs. Look quite nice from a distance - a bit like a jellyfish. They're regulated by international humanitarian law but in this case used by the Israeli army over a UN school where civilians were seeking refuge and in the same week over a crowded Palestinian refugee camp.

Worth a google for the effects if someone's hit, but I didn't post in case people had just eaten.

wp-gaza-2009-image01.jpg

phos.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Why does an image of an animal in distress(the oil pic) upset me more than some of the other pictures of dead or dying people?

I hope I am not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

The accepted lethal dose when white phosphorus is ingested orally is 1 mg per kg of body weight, although the ingestion of as little as 15 mg has resulted in death. It may also cause liver, heart or kidney damage. There are reports of individuals with a history of oral ingestion who have passed phosphorus-laden stool ("smoking stool syndrome")

Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

SniperAtWork.jpeg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Armagh_Sniper_%281990%E2%80%931997%29
    The South Armagh Sniper is the generic name[1] given to the members of the Provisional Irish Republican Army's South Armagh Brigade who conducted a sniping campaign against British security forces from 1990 to 1997.

The campaign is most notable for the snipers' use of .50 BMG calibre Barrett M82 and M90 long-range rifles in some of the shootings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

053.jpg055.jpg031.jpg3912062_5a498d6a41.jpg?r=3603912063_1ffccefa3d.jpg?r=360gal_chogunman16.jpg136050916_89f2275a2c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

undercover soldiers discovered in car during IRA funeral; dragged from car
    B33EC359CB4F2CADE9850DC6C9559.jpg

donaldson_and_bobby_sands.jpg
    Statue of Liberty being constructed in Paris
    Building_Statute_of_Liberty_2_%5Bpicturestore.com%5D.jpglunch.jpgfake_mirror_bw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Was'nt the Mirror headline above faked or was that a different one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Was'nt the Mirror headline above faked or was that a different one?

Pretty sure that's the one. Piers Morgan had to resign, think he's doing alright now though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

spider_pig wrote: »
    3912062_5a498d6a41.jpg?r=360

Where did you find that pic?
    I'm tearing up here.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

spider_pig wrote: »
    3912062_5a498d6a41.jpg?r=360]

What's he holding? Is it of any relevance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

305px-soweto_riots1.jpg

A boy runs from police while carrying his shot friend during the Soweto riots 1976.(Apartheid era,South Africa)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭greenmachine88

gaza-battle-death.jpg

gaza-children.jpg

img_a2a88cd018_gaza_massacre_17.jpg

gaza_blood1.jpg

g11_17484077.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Dead_owner_dog.jpg

A video of a similar event
    This story really gets to me everytime. It's no wonder they call dogs 'mans best friend'...

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

article-0-001A1A4500000258-934_468x312.jpg

Shook the world of motorsport, at least..

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

storm2811 wrote: »
    Apartheid did shake the world imo.
    The whole world was watching as it got worse in South Africa.

Yes it did and that's why people have put pictures up of it.

The black plague shook the world but its not on here as their is no pictures of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

okay, i've only just spotted the thread (yeah, i know where have i been!) and this is amazing, harrowing and unbelievable all at the same time, but I'm on the verge of disowning the entire human race after seeing some of these images and the depths of utter depravity that people can bring down on each other.

and on that note, i think it's time for something a little less heartbreaking to lift the mood before i give up on humanity completely, hopefully no explanations needed for the most part.

i know there's nothing here that's world shaking, but there's still some pretty iconic ones that i'm pretty sure haven't been posted and according to the OP that should be enough and like i said, it's got to be about time to lighten the mood by now. :)

354023523_dcb44ebb54_o.jpg

354026960_85f41657da_o.jpg

354023516_c312e28711_o.jpg

354027478_59fd88e8b6_o.jpg

354026940_f2219518d7_o.jpg

354026955_b9281b7456_o.jpg

6a00d8341c890753ef01156fb5bf7d970b-pi

the deepest man made pool in the world
    nemo33.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Not really a photo but it gets me every time.
    vietnam-memorial.jpg

I was in DC once and seeing all the people crying and laying down flowers at the wall was really harrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Came across this on Digg.com today:

071029_blog_uncovering_org_omayra_sanchez.jpg

Many see this photo from 1985 as the beginning of what we nowadays call "media globalization", because Omayra Sanchez's agony was followed by television cameras from all over the world.

Despite all the footage that was recorded by those tv cameras, it was this photograph, of a shocking reality and humanity, that went down in history as the first broadcast of the pain and death of a human being.

Omayra Sanchez, 13 years old, was the victim of volcano Nevado del Ruiz's eruption in 1985, that devasted the Armero village, in Colombia. Omayra was trapped for three days under the mud, clay and water that was left from her own house. When the paramedics, with scarce resources, tried to help her,
    they sadly realized there was nothing they could do, since to remove her from the deadly trap they would have to amputate her legs and the lack of a speacilist on the scene would result in her death.

According to the paramedics and the journalists that surrounded her, Omayra was strong until the last minute of her life. For the three days her agony lasted she thought only about going back to school, her studies and her friends.

Photographer Frank Fournier took this photo of Omayra that travelled the world and generated a worldwide controversy about the indifference of the Colombian government before the victims of natural disasters such as this.

The photograph was published months after the girl's death and Frank Fournier was awarded the 1986 World Press Photo Premier Award for this picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

RATM wrote: »
    Great thread peeps :cool:

posters.htm?aff=conf&ctid=974202243&rfid=443135&tkid=15047706

Though I can't seem to remember this chap being pictured anywhere. The photo itself may not have shook the world but the event did. It is Ghandi standing on the steps of No.10 Downing Street after talks with PM Ramsey McDonald about granting India independence. This was taken in 1931- a long time before the advent of the mass media we have today. For many Indian and British people it became an endearing image- here was the Hindu preacher of non-violence and civil disobedience dressed in a loin cloth on the steps of the seat of Imperial rule.

India didn't receive independence from the British for a further 16 years but despite this Ghandi never strayed from his philosophy of political change through exclusively non-violent means. His actions influenced many others who were fighting for civil rights at the time, Rosa Parks' refusal to give up her seat on a bus in the US comes to mind as does the activism of MLK:-

From Wiki

Ghandi's Salt March whereby he spent 4 months walking more than 1,500 miles to the Indian Ocean to produce salt without paying tax to the British as a form of protest marked the start of a nationwide civil disobedience campaign against British rule. Along the way thousands of Indians joined him on the march. At its conclusion 4 months later Ghandi was arrested and imprisoned by the British Raj along with over 60,000 of his supporters. Ghandi spent many years in British-run jails as a result of his non-violent protests- he endeared countless prison guards who were often astounded at the compassion he held for his jailers

The events that were set in track by this meeting in No.10 Downing Street turned out to be the beginning of the end for British rule in India. Ghandi was sadly asassinated in 1948 but remains one of the single greatest leaders of a political movement in modern history.

This is the pic he is referring to:

hindu-nationalist-leader-mohandas-gandhi-standing-outside-10-downing-street.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Has Phoebe Prince been mentioned yet? Irish teen that was bullied to death in an American High school. Such a waste of life.

phoebe-prince-arrests.jpg

Another tragedy, that may not have rocked the world, but definitely rocked Ireland (and breaks my heart and churns my stomach whenever I think about it) is the Bray love triangle murder-suicide that happened last year. Like a scene from a horror film, Shane Clancy (22) murdered his friend Sebastian Creane (22) and then comitted suicide after stabbing his ex, Jennifer Hannigan, & Sebastian's brother, Dylan Creane.

BrayStabbingAug2009PHOTOCALL.jpg

Seb Creane
    seb_creane017374_display.jpg

Shane Clancy
    543a0f13-c7d8-4926-_382881c.jpg
    He looks like a normal happy guy - makes you wonder how people can snap.

2508_sebfuneral_col_383870t.jpg
    I remember the mourners wore red converse to the Seb's funeral (can't find a picture of it though)

Have to mention the recent Donegal crash - worst collision in Irish history.

_48338708_crash7.jpg

Donegal-car-crash-006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭MWoods

After the Omagh Bombings by the Real IRA which left 29 civilians dead.

omagh-bombing.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

whenever i have anything to moan about from now on im just gonna look at this thread to shut me the **** up.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Another fine example of the murky human race.
    dolphin%20kill%20at%20Taiji%2001derimmed.JPG

You can see it in full next week here:
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-cove

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

L.O.F.T wrote: »
    Another fine example of the murky human race.
    dolphin%20kill%20at%20Taiji%2001derimmed.JPG

You can see it in full next week here:
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-cove

i know its horrible and all how its being done, but we kill,catch and eat plenty of other animals, fish ect .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Maybe not the world, but recently, Around the UK / Ireland etcRaoul-Thomas-Moat-006.jpgdavid-rathband-pic-pa-254890620.jpgc-image-2-385472596.jpgshooting_1675096c.jpgarticle-1293939-0A6811D3000005DC-489_306x423.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

They were interviewing that police officer a while ago on Sky. He's been blinded for life but he's still forgiven Moats for what he did to him. You can't help but have respect for that officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Mybe not the world but two counties anyway!!

goal.jpg

untitled.bmp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

This didn't shake the world, but it certainly changed a lot in this country- I will never ever forget this day. I think it showed Ireland in a different light to the world- not just because of the political tones, but also that such a small country could create such an amazing sprts grounds.

It remains a touchy subject for many people- but my family has been involved with the GAA for all my life & I just cried with pride this day. I was so nervous that something would go wrong, but it didn't. It was such a fantastic day. I actually have tears in my eyes even thinking about it now. I know it's nowhere near as jaw-dropping or as historically significant as most of the other posts here, but it was still an unbelievable event.

By the way, as has been said before- AMAZING thread. Been going through what I thought was a lot of crap lately, and have now decided that I actually have no idea what it is to suffer :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

large-Bamiyan-Buddha.jpg

The two colossal statues of Buddha carved into the sandstone cliffs of Bamiyan, Afghanistan, were demolished by the Taleban on March 2001. The Taleban people was a fundamentalist Islamic militia that has governed most of Aghanistan from 1996 to December 2001.
    Against international protests and appeals, the supreme Taleban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar ordered their destruction as part of a campaign to rid the land of all un-Islamic graven images. The leader issued an edict declaring the statues (and therefore the ancient Buddhas) as insulting to Islam. This means that all idolatrous images of humans and animals and all those idols considered by them to be an insult to Islam had to be destroyed.
    Taleban leader rejected also a proposal to build a concrete wall in front of the two Buddhas statues instead of their destruction.

The ancient statues were between the tallest standing Buddhas in the world. They had survived the ravages of Genghis Khan, centuries of invasions and wars and the natural wear of the elements.

Advertisement