Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 money card (prepay credit card)

Comments

I use 3V on Itunes :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

What is the situation with this Paypal "auth transaction" fee fiasco? On 3V these auth fees take weeks to actual show up as refunded meaning if you wanna buy something for €20 exactly you can't because a temp transaction is placed against the card which reduces the balance for a few weeks until it is returned.

Is this refund procedure speeded up with the O2 card?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I got my o2 money card today and linked it to my Paypal account. Took about 3 seconds for the activation transaction thingy.

Yeah but it will have performed an auth transaction against the card and then refunded it... has the refund gone through automatically or are you missing about €.70c ?
    What is purchase approval when buying online?

Purchase approval is a small test transaction for €1 or similar amounts that are posted by sites such as PayPal when a customer registers their card on a site. The purpose of the test transaction is to validate the card details provided by the customer. Test transactions do not settle and are automatically reversed after 10 days. Test transactions can be reversed by Customer Care if required by calling 1890 81 21 02

Topping up €20.00 to €59.99 costs €0.80 so that's surely far better than the €2.50 it would cost with 3V and this does seem more flexible in the sense that you can just add/top up like a ready-to-go phone. I assume they're looking at a revenue stream of more topups more frequently over 3V's one off vouchers. I can't understand for the life of me why someone would want to use this to take money out of an ATM when it's money you've put in - maybe it's to be aimed at the 20% who don't have bank A/Cs.

One thing I'm concerned about is this 15 months of inactivity charge per month. Am I legally ombliged to pay this or can I just bin the card and get a new one? Is there a process for cancelling the card/account? I can't see one, in fact I don't even see where you're supposed to sign a contract.

What is the deal with the stamp duty? Is this fiver taken out of whatever balance you have at a particular time of year?

Ah I think I've found a catch. With 3V where the cost of the voucher (topping up) was added to the voucher amount you wanted with this card the cost of topping up is included in the top up amount.

This would mean that if you wanted to buy a thing for €20 this would cost .80c however this amount is subtracted from your balance meaninig your balance would be €19.80 ergo you couldn't buy whatever it is you want for €20. Very cute.

• Advertisement

Yeah but it will have performed an auth transaction against the card and then refunded it... has the refund gone through automatically or are you missing about €.70c ?
    Paypal took 1.50, which will be refunded in the next couple of days.
    Ah I think I've found a catch. With 3V where the cost of the voucher (topping up) was added to the voucher amount you wanted with this card the cost of topping up is included in the top up amount.

This would mean that if you wanted to buy a thing for €20 this would cost .80c however this amount is subtracted from your balance meaninig your balance would be €19.80 ergo you couldn't buy whatever it is you want for €20. Very cute.

I don't see how this is a catch or "very cute". It's actually very convenient.

This is a regular credit card, it just happens to be prepay. I'm sure there will be people who already own "account" credit cards who will get an o2 money card and cut their old one in half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Only when you top up from your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

One thing I'm concerned about is this 15 months of inactivity charge per month. Am I legally ombliged to pay this or can I just bin the card and get a new one? Is there a process for cancelling the card/account? I can't see one, in fact I don't even see where you're supposed to sign a contract.

What is the deal with the stamp duty? Is this fiver taken out of whatever balance you have at a particular time of year?

If you don't use the card in 15 months 1.50 will be taken out every month if the balance is greater than zero till balance reachs zero if you have no money on the card and don't top it up you don't loose anything.

Stamp Duty is 2.50 a year if you use in an ATM and another 2.50 if used in POS transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

I am sold. Getting one as soon as I am 18, not too much longer now.......

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cian1991ferrari

Yeah works with Apple.

I bought an App for the iPhone there the other day cost of €0.79 but charged me €1.99 :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

I used to use 3v, but have been using the moneybookers master card for a few months now and have been delighted with it. Can upload money instantly and for free using my laser card. Its ten euro for the year. There are ATM charges but I'm never going to use it in an ATM.

I was thinking of joining one of the banks that offered a visa debit card but the charges for having an account there were ridiculous, something like thirty euro every three months. Might have been AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

+1 to the post above.

I got mine in October last year I think and I've been using it like crazy :D. Have made several purchases on sites like ebay, amazon, the hut, etc. and have had no problems whatsoever.

There are no top up charges, no transaction fees. The only thing you pay is the 10 euro a year. And best of all you can top up using your Laser card. I only top up mine when I want to buy something i.e. if I want to buy a DVD worth 5 euros then I just top up 5 euros by Laser and then spend it :)

Here's the link for anyone that's interested http://www.moneybookers.com/ads/mastercard/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 r_f

Does anyone know if you can move money from your paypl account to this card?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭K.Hammett

r_f wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can move money from your paypl account to this card?

Im pretty sure you cant do that. With any visas in fact. I may be wrong about that though.

Edit: Since searching this ive read comments from about 4 or 5 different people saying you can and you cant. Better off emailing O2 for a definite answer.

How do I top up my Card?

After you have entered your O2 Money Code online, you can top up your card by transferring money from your bank account to the card, in any O2 store or Payzone outlet. Bank account transfers are the cheapest way to top up.

Apparently no, but why not just transfer money from Paypal to your bank account by clicking on "withdraw" in Paypal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

el dude wrote: »
    Its ten euro for the year. There are ATM charges but I'm never going to use it in an ATM.

I was thinking of joining one of the banks that offered a visa debit card but the charges for having an account there were ridiculous, something like thirty euro every three months. Might have been AIB.
    Where did you read that?
    I use Ulster Bank, the only fees I pay is the Government stamp duty, which would be €2.50 a year if you don't use the card in an ATM. I have a Visa Debit card I can use anywhere that takes Visa.
    O2 Money charge €5 for the card, up to €3 for every topup, €1 for ATM withdrawal, €5 if you ever want to take money off it, plus the Stamp Duty.
    I don't know why anyone would use O2 Money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

blubloblu wrote: »
    Where did you read that?
    I use Ulster Bank, the only fees I pay is the Government stamp duty, which would be €2.50 a year if you don't use the card in an ATM. I have a Visa Debit card I can use anywhere that takes Visa.
    O2 Money charge €5 for the card, up to €3 for every topup, €1 for ATM withdrawal, €5 if you ever want to take money off it, plus the Stamp Duty.

Didn't read it, i applied online for an account and got a callback where it was explained to me that would be the charge to open and hold a new account, but that was if i didn't choose to 'transfer' bank accounts, i.e. have my wages paid into their bank, rather than BOI. Like i said, i'm not entirely sure who it was, might even of been Permanent TSB.

blubloblu wrote: »
    Where did you read that?
    No feeds with Ulster Bank now and they're getting people in the door with the lure of Visa Debt Card but for how long? This is what banks like doing, luring people in and then lay on the charges nice and thick once they've gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭PenguinMan

Does anyone know what age you have to be to get one? Please don't tell me it's 18+ :(

EDIT: Yeah it's 18+ That kinda sucks.
    Ulster Bank give Visa Debit cards to all customers :). Open a current account there :).

If you're under 18 just get your parent to get one "for the family".

• Advertisement

Government card duty
    • You pay Government Duty of €2.50 a year on debitCARDs/ServiceCARDs used at Point of Sale only.
    • You pay Government Duty of €2.50 a year on debitCARDs/ServiceCARDs or Cashcards used at cash machines only.
    • You pay Government Duty of €5 a year on debitCARDs/ServiceCARDs used at cash machines and used to pay for goods and services.
    • You pay Government Duty of €30 a year on credit cards.

If I just use the card for online transactions what do I pay? €2.50? Even if you only ever use the card at an ATM once do you still get hit with the €2.50?

What if there isn't sufficient funds in the account to pay this and I don't have an overdraft?

Wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

If I just use the card for online transactions what do I pay? €2.50? Even if you only ever use the card at an ATM once do you still get hit with the €2.50?

What if there isn't sufficient funds in the account to pay this and I don't have an overdraft?

You don't pay 2.50 for online transaction only, for transactions in Euros you pay nothing extra, for other currency you pay a percentage, don't remember exactly what.

If you use it in an ATM even once, you pay.

If you don't have the funds, I assume, it'll be deducted when you top up again. If you don't top up, the card will probably be cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

CyberGhost wrote: »
    You don't pay 2.50 for online transaction only, for transactions in Euros you pay nothing extra, for other currency you pay a percentage, don't remember exactly what.

It's 2.75% for other currencies.
    If you use it in an ATM even once, you pay.

A bit annoying because its the only way you can change your PIN on the card. Some ATMs don't allow you to change your PIN either, so it could be hit and miss.

Anyway, I got this card yesterday and have already done some impulse buying. Just ordered 250 business cards. :o I expect many more impulse buys. Very handy card though and has many advantages over the 3V card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Got my 6 digit activation code in the post so can now use the card freely.

Unfortunately they got my name wrong on my details. They put down my middle name as my surname. Must give them a ring about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

hows with ryanair. do u have to pay ryanair fee with this card? lost my payzone money card and tempted to switch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yep they charge you the €5.00 per person per flight charge with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

I'm defo getting one, wanted to be able to buy stuff on ebay with a laser card type of thing. cool. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

am I right in saying you can use your laser card in the atm freely, it's only if you use your 02 card to take money out or something you pay?

Grrr the play.com £1.00 temp authorisation transaction strikes and for some reason it hit me with it twice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 bookworm192398

Hi. I've been trying to add my card to my Amazon.co.uk account but it says there is a problem with the number. I'm using the number on the front of the card is that correct? I've selected the Visa/Delta/Electron option as there is no Visa Debit option.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Advertisement