Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lithuanians emigrating to Australia

• 29-03-2013 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

So I really hope someone can help me with this, I can't seem to get any accurate information online.

So I want to emigrate to Oz, I am Irish and my boyfriend is Lithuanian. He has been resident in Ireland for 5 years.

Through my research it seems that he is not eligible for a Working Holiday Visa. Does anyone know if he is eligible for some kind of visa that allows him to live and work in Oz?

Any help would be great. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Any other visa is open to all nationalities.

What skill does your BF have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

So I really hope someone can help me with this, I can't seem to get any accurate information online.

So I want to emigrate to Oz, I am Irish and my boyfriend is Lithuanian. He has been resident in Ireland for 5 years.

Through my research it seems that he is not eligible for a Working Holiday Visa. Does anyone know if he is eligible for some kind of visa that allows him to live and work in Oz?

Any help would be great. :)

If you want to emigrate you both would need a migration visa rather than a holiday visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

If he has been resident in Ireland for 5 years could he not apply for Irish citizenship/passport? Might make it easier for WHV, otherwise it's skilled migration route as mentioned above...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 4lovestreet

He has no formal skills. But there are plenty of things I'm sure he could do i.e. construction. He's works as a factory worker at the moment. Do skills have to be formal? Or want would be a kind of job for him to upskill on before applying?

I thought about the Irish passport thing but I'm not sure if he can get one. I seen alot of stuff about having to have ancestry in Ireland. Does anyone know for sure?

What*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

What*
    What Jackbhoy said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

He has no formal skills. But there are plenty of things I'm sure he could do i.e. construction. He's works as a factory worker at the moment. Do skills have to be formal? Or want would be a kind of job for him to upskill on before applying?

I thought about the Irish passport thing but I'm not sure if he can get one. I seen alot of stuff about having to have ancestry in Ireland. Does anyone know for sure?
    His skills would need to be formal qualifications I would think. There's also a difference between a naturalised Irish citizen ie one that claims citizenship after living in Ireland for a predefined time frame and an Irish national ie one born in the country. Both will allow you an Irish passport but your country of birth is recorded on them. Also the visa application process asks both citizenship and nationality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yes there is a formal skill assessment where you have to show a degree or a trade qualification and depending on the occupation usually 2 or 3 years of post qualification experience hence why its called skilled migration. These occupations can be found on the Skilled Occupation List, also for the visa application there are IELTS English requirements, medical & X-Ray and Police clearance from all countries you have lived in the last 10 Years. The cost of the process is about €4000-€8000 depending on wether a migration agent is required.

Okay. I seem to have got a good bit of information here. Thanks guys. Looks like the Skilled Visa wouldn't be an option for us! This is so annoying that he can't get a WHV. Looks like I have a big decision to make!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Carlosd

If you think you are sponsorable then get him out on a student visa and he can work limited hours. You just need to work hard at getting an employer impressed enough with to sponsor,

Okay. I seem to have got a good bit of information here. Thanks guys. Looks like the Skilled Visa wouldn't be an option for us! This is so annoying that he can't get a WHV. Looks like I have a big decision to make!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement