Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chartered Engineer 2016

18910111214»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

poteen wrote: »
    Do you sign up or do you have to be asked ?

A mass email went recently. I did the webinar about it. Got an email asking for volunteeers for an upcoming session but as I haven’t had any training etc I declined. Was hoping to get a bit more info before doing the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Van Doozy

I was awarded CEng by Engineers Ireland recently. I found this thread quite helpful as I was doing my application. I too had heard that if you make it to the interview stage, you are sorted, but having read through this thread, I saw that this is not necessarily the case! So that definitely made me work that little bit harder to give myself the best shot of achieving CEng first go. The thoughts of having to do that all again!!

There's loads of good advice in the thread - here's my tuppence worth for anyone interested:

1. Start on your application early and give yourself loads of time to refine it. I started at the previous deadline (January), for submission by the following one (July). This gives an hour or so a week for you to work on your application, which you will need if you want to do it properly and not have a last minute rush.

2. All the information you need is in the regulations and the guidance notes so I would strongly advise you read them carefully and align your application with them, in order to work most efficiently and clearly show how you meet each of the five competencies.

3. CPD is important for any engineer, but especially CEng. Have yours fully up to date on the website and be familiar with what you wrote. They asked me about mine, which I wasn't expecting. Everything in it was true and accurate and I luckily knew the answers off the top of my head as I had recently compiled it for 2020 so I wasnt caught out by it.

4. I know everyone says this but it's true: Be very very familiar with your written application. It's their template for the interview.

The interview is grand. Mine was like a polite, formal conversation. My suggestions for this:

1. In advance, go through your written application and "ask yourself" to elaborate on every claim you have made about how you meet a competence. Can you comfortably do this from memory? Practice talking about them aloud.
    2. I did mine on zoom and I had the guidance notes open in a folder beside me. I had hand-written some examples on the guidance notes to prompt me if I was asked about a particular competence. That worked really well, for me.
    3. Your interviewers are volunteers, be sure and thank them for their time at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭gucci

Bit of a johnny come lately to this thread, but I have just submitted my CEng Application to IMechE (I am based in UK)
    I went via the Continuous Learning Assessment route, to detail my learnings as my Mechanical Engineering Degree is a Level 7. Its quite a long process, but I do feel its been quite a beneficial one so far. I should have an interview in Aug/September and fingers crossed that will be a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭gucci

Update: IM IN THE CLUB 😀

Interview was in November, I found it a bit trickier than I expected. I dont think they questioned me too hard, I think I just expected to be eased into the questioning rather than:

The first question went real deep on stress calcs and challenging why I chose to work from first principles and my selection of methodology, rather than design to a code (Pressure vessel design)

Anyway I recovered after a bit of steady breathing and sips of water and I guess I must have explained my reasoning well enough to satisfy them I wasnt a complete spoofer!

I did find the process for applying through Continous Learning Assessment quite a chore at times, but there was great support from IMechE in the form of online tutorials/events to discuss the procedures and really focus your application. In the end it was quite nice to have a body of work written up to show some of the best work I have done in my career and it does feel like a worthwhile endevour. I also changed job in the middle of my application, so it was great to have everything very fresh in my mind, I felt alot more interview ready than if I hadnt had spent a few months working on my application.

Congrats!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I was a paid up member of Engineers Ireland for well over a decade and had always planned to get chartered with them. However, I found that there was little benefit to being a member, any courses of interest that they ran were massively over priced with poor discounts for members. I became disillusioned and left even though my employer (large consultancy) paid the subscription each year.

Having attended a number of excellent IET CPD events in Dublin pre-covid I decided to go through the CEng process with them instead. I have been working as a lead E & I engineer for a number of years and decided that the IET were far more relevant to my discipline. For example, the IET produce a number of important standards including the 18the Edition BS7671 (UK wiring regulations). This post is not intended as a "dig" at anyone that is chartered with EI or EI itself, just my own view.

Anyway, I started the process last January and am very relieved to say that I received an email today stating "Further to your application for CEng Professional Registration, the final decision has been received and we are pleased to advise you that your application has been successful."

Delighted 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

Has anyone had their interview yet?

Advertisement