Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do? Stay or go?!

• 02-04-2018 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Well peeps just looking for people's opinions here. I'm working in a good job at the minute on 12 month contract with plenty scope going forward possibly. €38-45k salary.

However before I went for the job (job was mentioned to me to apply for unexpectedly earlier in the year). I had planned too hit Canada. I've a visa for two year's approved.

I'm in the 30-35 age category. No kid's, no partner and currently loan free. Rent is my only out source, oh and my few beverages each week 😊

My visa is up later in the year. I've over 10 year's experience in my sector (finance). Think I should take gamble or stay put?
    Views would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

if you don't do it now you'll probably never do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭allblack

glasso wrote: »
    if you don't do it now you'll probably never do it.

Good point!!

allblack wrote: »
    Good point!!

so what's your thinking?
    with 10 yrs experience you should be fine to get a job in a similar area over there.
    it's a good skill to learn to move to a completely new place and gives you a very good perspective on your own country (Ireland in this case) actually.
    Canada would I imagine be one of the easier places to integrate into as it has a history of immigration and their culture is known as pretty easy-going and friendly (in general). obviously depending on where you go the winter is going to be much colder than here! but better summers.
    Of course you'd have to be the sort of person to make an effort and get to know people - join a club or something in a sport or hobby etc but all that is easy enough now with the info easily found online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

It's a no brainer, go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

Go, you'll regret it next year if your contract is not renewed. Was in a similar position two years ago and bit the bullet, didn't regret it! Came home and got an even higher salary offer than the one people thought I was mad to turn down.

so what's your thinking?
    with 10 yrs experience you should be fine to get a job in a similar area over there.
    it's a good skill to learn to move to a completely new place and gives you a very good perspective on your own country (Ireland in this case) actually.
    Canada would I imagine be one of the easier places to integrate into as it has a history of immigration and their culture is known as pretty easy-going and friendly (in general). obviously depending on where you go the winter is going to be much colder than here! but better summers.
    Of course you'd have to be the sort of person to make an effort and get to know people - join a club or something in a sport or hobby etc but all that is easy enough now with the info easily found online.

Well tbh I'm thinking my experience will stand to me. Ok I don't have degree although I do have QFA which I hope will work for me. But surely experience goes along way.
    I suppose the reality is, I'm thinking am I best stay were I am and build on what I have or bite bullet and go as never have opportunity like I have especially with no overheads/responsibilities here.
    At moment I'm 50/50 at minute. Also good point on the cold winter's which I know will be challenge in itself. I'm thinking going too Toronto should I go.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Go, you'll regret it next year if your contract is not renewed. Was in a similar position two years ago and bit the bullet, didn't regret it! Came home and got an even higher salary offer than the one people thought I was mad to turn down.

Really appreciate your input here. Did going work out for you? Suppose that's my worry. If didn't work out and left that job behind. Then again I suppose if you want it enough, you can make it yourself out there. Pair balls I want really haha.

Suppose you're right, no overheads/no responsibilites. I know i need change of scenery. Just worry of what if don't get job etc. Again all your input is appreciated. Thanks.

Well tbh I'm thinking my experience will stand to me. Ok I don't have degree although I do have QFA which I hope will work for me. But surely experience goes along way.
    I suppose the reality is, I'm thinking am I best stay were I am and build on what I have or bite bullet and go as never have opportunity like I have especially with no overheads/responsibilities here.
    At moment I'm 50/50 at minute. Also good point on the cold winter's which I know will be challenge in itself. I'm thinking going too Toronto should I go.

find a recruiter in Canada in your area on linkedin, connect and then ring them. easy way to find out if no degree would be an issue there. find one who has experience and knows the market - not someone 2 years out of college.

find a recruiter in Canada in your area on linkedin, connect and then ring them. easy way to find out if no degree would be an issue there. find one who has experience and knows the market - not someone 2 years out of college.

That's actually excellent advice thru LinkedIn. Great idea thanks. Also thought about going too expo jobs event that's in Croke Park later this month. But definitely will do this. Great advice thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

Really appreciate your input here. Did going work out for you? Suppose that's my worry. If didn't work out and left that job behind. Then again I suppose if you want it enough, you can make it yourself out there. Pair balls I want really haha.

Suppose you're right, no overheads/no responsibilites. I know i need change of scenery. Just worry of what if don't get job etc. Again all your input is appreciated. Thanks.

It worked out for me in that I always knew I'd only be gone a finite time. Tbh its a real buzz of new people, new culture and new lifestyle. You might love it or you might hate it but if your QFAd you'll walk into another job for a similar salary if you come back so I dont think your missing out.

I've always had the mantra of you'll always regret what you don't do, if you try it and it doesn't work out then I dont think you'll regret it either.

duffman13 wrote: »
    It worked out for me in that I always knew I'd only be gone a finite time. Tbh its a real buzz of new people, new culture and new lifestyle. You might love it or you might hate it but if your QFAd you'll walk into another job for a similar salary if you come back so I dont think your missing out.

I've always had the mantra of you'll always regret what you don't do, if you try it and it doesn't work out then I dont think you'll regret it either.

That's great advice. Really appreciate your input. Applied on qt and told no one. Then this other job came up and threw a spanner in the works. I've till November too use the visa so definitely going use next few months to look further into it. I'm probably 50/50 before post was put up but definitely swaying 60/70 in favour of going. It's like you and others have said if don't go, I'll always regret it. Which in fairness is very valid point. Plus not going get younger and have visa opportunity again possibly.
    Thanks again. Really appreciate it.

Advertisement