Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need painkiller for bad toothache

• 14-12-2006 5:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

I have very bad toothache, and I can’t get in to see the dentist for several more days.

So which painkiller is best for you?

cozmik

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Why can't you make it to the dentist? If it's an emergency then they should be able to slot you in soon, rather than making you wait over the weekend.

If it's that bad then over-the-counter painkillers probably won't be that much good for you. The strongest you can get is probably Neurofen Plus, but talk to the pharmacist and see what they recommend. There could be one that's more suitable for toothache.

Oh, and you could try putting whiskey onto a tissue and holding it on the sore area; it might sound a little odd, but it worked for my dad when he had really bad pains.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Neurofen Plus. Just had a major dose of tooth aches etc that sorted me right out. Read the label etc and make sure you're not alergic to the ingredients!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

There is a dental issues forum (sci > biology & medicine > Dental Issues). It might be worth asking for advice over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Neurofen Plus is your only man. Dose yourself up with these after reading the enclosed documentation within the recommended dosage and it should help no end.

Also, ask your pharmacist.

A

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

See your dentist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

I'd recommend getting the old fashioned Nurofen.
    No "plus" means no paracetemol in it, just ibuprofen.
    This lets you take a paracetemol every four hours
    and a nurofen every four hours, but overlapped,
    so you get a boost every two hours if you need it.
    It just spreads the load between your liver and your
    kidneys, so don't do it for long.
    I've been recommended it by a doctor for both
    myself and my kids shortterm for dental pain.

On the subject of kids, there's a homeopathic
    remedy for kids called "Teetha" by Nelsons,
    and depending on the kind of pain, it can give
    a shocking amount of relief for a short period.
    I tried it myself while suffering from an abscess...

Make the time to get to a dentist though,
    you'll get nothing constructive done if all
    you can think about are your teeth!

Nurofen can give you mild breathing difficulty if you suffer from asthma.
    If you can only take one 'product', consider Solpadeine :-)

NiallB

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

My dentist tends to recommend Solphodine for tootheache.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go to doctor / dentist / pharmacist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

@niallb

Your right ,it's bloody hard to think straight with this pain but thanks a lot for the suggestions, everyone!

cozmik

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

@NiallB - Don't post on things about which you know nothing. Whilst the drug regimen you describe can be effective, it is not because of the lack of paracetamol in Nurofen that you can alternate drugs like that. And its alternating the stress between liver and stomach. Both ibuprofen and paracetamol are very weak painkillers and even taken in tandem demonstrate no added painkilling greater than the sum of their respective painkilling ability. The Plus in Nurofen Plus is Codeine, an opioid analgesic. Do take Nurofen Plus and not old fashioned Nurofen because it is proven to be more effective in the management of dental pain. Take 1 or 2 every 4 to 6 hours provided you don't have any health reason not to, which are listed in the website below.
    Look here for all info:
    http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/medicines/medicines/n/nurofen/nurofen_plus.htm

This is what I recommend for all my patients for dental pain. This is a temporary solution and not a permanent one. This is the treatment of a symptom (pain) not a cause. The cause is likely to be infection, and so effective treatment is removal of the source of infection (which is rarely permanently achievable with antibiotics, and requires physical (ie surgical) removal of the source of infection).

In other words - see your dentist as soon as you can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

This is probably going to sound ridiculous but it has never failed me yet!

Sensodyne toothpaste, (the original PINK one). ...squeeze out a pea sized lump and plonk it on the offending tooth and gum. For me it always has made the pain go within 30 mins and no paracetamol or painkiller ever has.

Im not sure if it makes sense from a dental point of view, but just has always worked for me.

Best of luck, I know its terrible, for some reason if im ever going to get a toothache its ALWAYS the week of xmas or a bank holiday weekend or familly gatering :(

B

Sensodyne toothpaste, (the original PINK one). ...squeeze out a pea sized lump and plonk it on the offending tooth and gum. For me it always has made the pain go within 30 mins and no paracetamol or painkiller ever has.
    Hows the fluoride poisoning going?

Causes Of Flouride Poisening:

* The most common type of exposure is ingestion of products that contain fluoride. To obtain the exact name of the product and how much was ingested is extremely important.

* Toothpaste contains 1 mg/g of fluoride as sodium monofluorophosphate. This fluoride formulation has low solubility and is generally nontoxic.

* The toxic effects following large ingestions of the following products usually are limited to GI discomfort.

o Toothpaste

o Oral hygiene products

from http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic181.htm

Personally, I'd not consider "pea-sized" a "large ingestion" and Id rather belch than have a tootache ;)
    (Never have had any side-effects from it meself tbh).

B

This is why I am against this type of 'advice' forum. Pain is usually a sign that something is going on. True dental pain will not be fixed by putting a lump of sensodyne on the tooth. However, a sensitive tooth may experience a reduction in sensitivity with this technique. There is a fine line between these two symptoms, which must be distinguished by a qualified diagnostician ie a dentist, who can then prescribe a course of treatment to successfully fix the problem.

If you are in pain, go to the dentist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Ronnie Cold Telepathy

Big_G thats good information and why the forum is here so that those with knowledge can share it with those who dont. Please dont confuse anything said here with medical advice. This is not a dental advice forum and nothing posted here by those known to be dentist can be construde as professional opinion or diagnosis. We who are dentists "me, lom, big_g and some others" will give information about non specific dental matters or discuss issues that are affecting other posters but as stated in the forum charter this forum does not in any way shape of form substitute for a porper clinical exam with your own dental practioneer.

Just in case here again are the all too familiar forum rules
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054879349
    Big_G wrote:
    If you are in pain, go to the dentist.
    Generally good advice but I fear the general lack of out of hours and weekend emergency cover for dentists and the fact that a lot of GDP's cannot give patients appointments for up to weeks means that patients go in pain for prolonged periods. I think it is the professions responciility to enforce the guidelines requiring out of hours services to be available to paying patients.

The Content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical/dental advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician, dental professional, or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical/dental condition. Never disregard professional medical/dental advice or delay in seeking it because of Content found on this forum.

Oh by no means was I suggesting a long term solution.
    The OP was asking for what has worked for people in the past when they couldnt get to an emergency dentist and that was my experience, nothing medically sound in it at all, and as I stated I wasnt sure how it was from a medical POV.

B

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No one's mentioned Clove Oil yet. http://www2.vhi.ie/topic/toothache

Go to a pharmacy, get the pharmacists advice until you can see the dentist.

No one's mentioned Clove Oil yet. http://www2.vhi.ie/topic/toothache
    If anyone came near me with clove oil I'd batte them (bad memory).

Generally good advice but I fear the general lack of out of hours and weekend emergency cover for dentists and the fact that a lot of GDP's cannot give patients appointments for up to weeks means that patients go in pain for prolonged periods. I think it is the professions responciility to enforce the guidelines requiring out of hours services to be available to paying patients.

Agreed. Both the practices I work in have emergency cover over the Christmas period, which I think is pretty sound, considering about 50% of the emergencies that will be seen are not emergent in the truest sense (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about).

Furthermore, if everybody attended the dentist every six months to a year like they are supposed to, the dental emergency would be a rare thing indeed. If, if, if...

Excuse the mini rant, but I have my heart broken with patch up dentistry. As soon as there is no pain, everyone thinks they are all right.

BTW, oil of clove is a good dental painkiller and has been used for a very long time. Doesn't half stink. May be known as eugenol in pharmacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

I assume the pain is now gone !!

Nurofen (ordinary) was very effective for me last year when I got an exposed nerve. My dentist put a temporay sedative dressing on until I could get root canal done and advised Nurofen if there were problems.

Also, Oil of Clove helped. You can get a small bottle of it in a pharmacy. Just paint it on with something like a cotton bud. Damned if I know how it works but it did ? Anyone know why Oil of Clove helps for toothaches ?

The Content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical/dental advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician, dental professional, or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical/dental condition. Never disregard professional medical/dental advice or delay in seeking it because of Content found on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Big_G wrote:
    Agreed. Both the practices I work in have emergency cover over the Christmas period, which I think is pretty sound, considering about 50% of the emergencies that will be seen are not emergent in the truest sense (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about).

Furthermore, if everybody attended the dentist every six months to a year like they are supposed to, the dental emergency would be a rare thing indeed. If, if, if...

Excuse the mini rant, but I have my heart broken with patch up dentistry. As soon as there is no pain, everyone thinks they are all right.

BTW, oil of clove is a good dental painkiller and has been used for a very long time. Doesn't half stink. May be known as eugenol in pharmacies.

the DDH provides emergency cover in any case. a real emergency like difficulty breathing, uncontrolled bleeding, etc is best dealt with in casualty imho. a dentist is harldy going to start injecting antibiotics iv.

as regards patch up dentistry, thats all about 85% of the population want in my experience. are you working in dublin or rurally big g? just recommend crowns/ or possibly onlays for all large premolar fillings and very large molar restorations that are collapsing and give them a quote. the rest is up to the patient. quick patch ups dont last more than about 3 years in my experience.

lomb wrote:
    the DDH provides emergency cover in any case. a real emergency like difficulty breathing, uncontrolled bleeding, etc is best dealt with in casualty imho. a dentist is harldy going to start injecting antibiotics iv.
    Having a tooth fall apart on you unexpectedly is quite distressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

For anyone that's interested I had my visit to the dentist, he pulled two molars and gave me fillings in two others.
    I'm feeling much better now I'm just sorry that I left it so long to go and have my teeth checked.

Every 6 months for me from now on! :)

cozmik

Advertisement