Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat has gone missing. **UPDATE! She's home :D**

• 01-10-2018 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

I know it is OTT but I’m quite upset tonight. Let my little cat out this morning and she’s vanished and hasn’t come back all day. She usually just potters close by and comes back straight away when called :( darts straight in to me or a after a couple of minutes max

She’s never been out overnight and I’m so worried about her I can’t skeep. It’s more because she’s quite scared of people / cars / everything really as she was quite sick when young as she was abandoned and found at just a couple of weeks. She’s so small she looks like a kitten still and was so sick when I got her a couple of years ago. It’s halloween in a few weeks :(

She’s helped me quite a lot during hard times just cheering me up being so cute. I just want her back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Baybay

There’s every chance she’ll breeze in, have food & sleep peacefully all day tomorrow & I hope she does.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Is there a window you can leave open overnight in case she comes back?

Tomorrow check with neighbours to see has she been accidently locked in to someone's house or garden shed or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Is there a window you can leave open overnight in case she comes back?

Tomorrow check with neighbours to see has she been accidently locked in to someone's house or garden shed or something.

Hi thank you for reply. I say she has wandered off and gotten lost as she’s too nervous to approach people and would imagine she’d be too nervous to go near someone else’s house due to different smell etc. I’ve mentioned it to them anyway.

I can’t leave window open unfortunately as it wouldn’t be safe to do that where I live. There’s no sheds in neighbouring houses for her to get locked into :( she literally freezes and runs away when she sees people :( I think I’m going to go out and look for her in car

Baybay wrote: »
    There’s every chance she’ll breeze in, have food & sleep peacefully all day tomorrow & I hope she does.

Thank you for giving me some hope. I know I’m being silly but I just hate the thought of her being injured / sick / scared. I think I’ll invest in a tracking collar as I don’t like not being able to find her. We love her so much

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Hopefully she'll return when she's hungry OP.
    My moggie disappears for around 24 hours every now and then, but returns eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Thank you for giving me some hope. I know I’m being silly but I just hate the thought of her being injured / sick / scared. I think I’ll invest in a tracking collar as I don’t like not being able to find her. We love her so much

You are not being silly... you are a good cat owner is all ;) even living on a small island now I am never happy until and unless I know where my three are..

She is maybe feeling more secure and confident?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Either of our two go off for maybe two days at a time, we panic each time.

So far they’ve come back, one was gone five days.

We’re relatively new to cats, but I think it’s quite typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 delta42

Are you in Kilbride area?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

She'll be back, its what cats do. I have one of those scaredy cats, she is a complete fruitcake, will jump at her own shadow and sometimes backs away from me as though I beat her regularly (then she sleeps on my bed snuggled up to me). She has done her share of disappearing and coming back. You can't help worrying, but she will return!

• Advertisement

My big butch looking wimp once left home as I was feeding a feral who used to chase him up trees.... Then a neighbout who was fixing in a washing machine mentioned a cat there then would not tell me what colour it was.

I sent someone round to check and late one night the cat arrived home in a car that took off at speed.

The neighbour later told my landlord , "The mistake I made was feeding it,"

Thought it was a starving stray and locked it in the shed.

They will tear the heart out of you, these cats

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

Is she chipped? Then you can call the local vets and shelters. May be someone in your neighbourhood mistook her for a kitten and brought her there. You can call up and ask with a good description of your cat anyway.;)

A local FaceBook group might help as well. Make sure that you post on your page publicly a picture of your cat. Then share it in the local group. So everybody there can share it as well. Otherwise it would be technically not possible.

Best tip: Get yourself a powerfull torch and go out in the night. Call her and listen carefully. When she is in reach you´ll hear her. Nights are a lot quiter than the days, less people and cars. This will help immensly. That´s the way i found my cat once just 30m from my home in the basement of an appartment building.

Another time i put up A5 papers with her picture, a description and my phone number at various lamp posts in my area as well as in shops, the local pub and whatever. After eight days i got a phone call from the driving school nearly opposite of my flat. And there she was hiding in the basement, the rascal.:P

Please don´t forget to collect these papers after a while or when you have been sucessful. Not just out of pleasentry but then people know that they don´t have to look any further. And the place is free for the next one. Cat owners are always active and looking for missing cats. I got at least 10 wrong calls of sightings before the right one came in. So just don´t give up.

Over here in Germany there is a private non profit organisation called „Tasso“. There every owner can get his/her pet registered for free inclusive chip number, description, address and picture of the pet. This will be like a fact sheet or „Wanted“ poster. One can save all that on their server and store it on ones own computer as well. In case of a missing you can print it out quite fast and put it up all over the place.

https://www.tasso.net/Tierregister/Tier-vermisst/Suchplakate-bestellen

Registered animals can be found very fast because as they are activly checking the chips number with all vets and shelters in your area. Which you can do yourself on their site anyway for free. Very good idea and perfectly executed. Don´t think that there is something like that in operation in Ireland.

But you can always get a fact sheet together for immidiate print out for yourself anyway.

Good luck and a thumps up.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Did your little cat come home? :(

hi, just in from searching in torrential rain with a torch and no joy :( At least she'll have water though as there'll be puddles.

Have posted on all local fb pages and contacted shelters, posted on their pages and nothing.

Have contacted all local vets too as she is microchipped and have put up posters in vets and shop near me. Actually someone recognised poster from facebook post as photo is very clear and taken on good camera , she is a bit of celeb now:D

Going to stick them to trees tomorrow. didnt want to tonight as it is raining too heavy. Going to number the posters so I know how many to collect and I just thought I really should put a date on it.
    Litter tray left outside too....

:( Hopefully she'll just stroll up tomorrow as if nothing happened :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Any news on the little kitty?

What area are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

One of mine went out there on Saturday night past and I didnt see her before I went to bed at midnight or so. This was rare in itself as she usually only goes out for an hour max and is normally following me around the house. Got up Sunday morning no sign. Left at 10am and came back at 8pm no sign. Still no sign when I went to bed and hardly slept decided to get up early at 730 to have a look for her and there she was outside my bedroom door like nothing ever happened. Bloody cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Joshua J wrote: »
    One of mine went out there on Saturday night past and I didnt see her before I went to bed at midnight or so. This was rare in itself as she usually only goes out for an hour max and is normally following me around the house. Got up Sunday morning no sign. Left at 10am and came back at 8pm no sign. Still no sign when I went to bed and hardly slept decided to get up early at 730 to have a look for her and there she was outside my bedroom door like nothing ever happened. Bloody cats.

Dogs have masters, cats have servants 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Each time mine went missing they'd been locked up somewhere- last time it was me who locked him in the car for 6 hours :eek::pac:
    So I wouldn't worry just yet, you're doing all your can with the posters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Each time mine went missing they'd been locked up somewhere- last time it was me who locked him in the cat for 6 hours :eek::pac:
    So I wouldn't worry just yet, you're doing all your can with the posters etc.

same here. Mine sneaks into the hot press and then gets locked in. Could be in there all day and you wouldnt find her until she starts freaking out and trying to escape. We have others living in our garden and they dont go far from where they sleep and get food from.

Speak to neighbours is what Id say. Hope you find her OP

Still no sign of her. Have been looking for her until midnight for the last three nights now, say my neighbours think I am crazy :D

I am not optimistic that she will be back, just had a little cry over it as its so frustrating not being able to find her and I am worried how she will fair out without food as she has hd tummy and digestive problems :(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Is she neutered? My cat went missing for 5 days before we got him neutered, he usually comes running back home when he's called but that time he didnt, eventually he came back starved and devoured two plates of food. Cats can wander for miles looking for a mate if not fixed.

Can u post a pic on boards? Put pictures up in local shops too.

Hopefully she will show up soon x

Is she neutered? My cat went missing for 5 days before we got him neutered, he usually comes running back home when he's called but that time he didnt, eventually he came back starved and devoured two plates of food. Cats can wander for miles looking for a mate if not fixed.

Can u post a pic on boards? Put pictures up in local shops too.

Hopefully she will show up soon x

Hi yes she is neutered and chipped. I have put up posters laminated, printed fliers and called to speak to people door to door, put up posters in shops and posted on facebook pages. She is probably the most famous cat in my vounty at the moment but still no sign of her :(

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Hi yes she is neutered and chipped. I have put up posters laminated, printed fliers and called to speak to people door to door, put up posters in shops and posted on facebook pages. She is probably the most famous cat in my vounty at the moment but still no sign of her :(

My lovely girl went missing for 6 weeks once. I contacted everyone etc. It was in a tourist area and I was sure someone had taken her in? She is a very pretty cat....

One day after all those weeks I was outside and I heard her.... she was never again allowed out in that rental... She may have got accidentally trapped? She was thin etc but so glad to be home.

Never give up. Can you check on any second homes? Any sheds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Make sure to contact any local pounds.
    Possibility that she has been picked up.
    Fingers crossed you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭acequion

I feel so very sorry for you OP. I too have a little cat that I love to bits and like yours is both indoor and outdoor. I always have that fear in the pit of my stomach when she's gone for a long time but she always comes back tg. But there is always that risk when you allow them out to roam. But you have to let them be felines and live their little lives.

Am keeping the fingers tightly crossed for you because cats do have 9 lives and there are so many stories,even look at all the ones posted here, of missing cats turning up ages after.

How old is she?

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Make sure to contact any local pounds.
    Possibility that she has been picked up.
    Fingers crossed you!

and vets.

Graces7 wrote: »
    My lovely girl went missing for 6 weeks once. I contacted everyone etc. It was in a tourist area and I was sure someone had taken her in? She is a very pretty cat....

One day after all those weeks I was outside and I heard her.... she was never again allowed out in that rental... She may have got accidentally trapped? She was thin etc but so glad to be home.

Never give up. Can you check on any second homes? Any sheds?

6 weeks, that is so long , they must be better equipped for survival than we think:D

She's only two and she is fit and healthy so that will stand to her. I have done everything I can incase she is trapped which is what I was fearing that happened.

That's a good point , I haven't checked pounds as I was only focusing on shelters but I will do that tomorrow.

Spoke to a couple of people who know about cat behaviour and it seems if she's spooked she could hunker down for 5 days before coming out and she is likely within 50 feet of my house but too scared to come out :eek:

I am going to try not worry too much. I was worried a fox would get her but now know a fox won't attack a cat, only a kitten.

There is waste land across from me which which I thought was a forest- could be quite appealing and its relatively safe as its not on a busy road. It quite thick foliage so there would be a lot of shelter. I never even knew it was there until yesterday.

I even saw rabbits in there this morning so she may have a constant supply of food that is more fun and exciting than what she is used to :D

(poor rabbits though)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭acequion

We're all rooting for her sheepdish. Finger crossed that you get her back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nuttyboy79

We've a few cats all indoor cats, our oldest one in his hey day was a real runner anytime there was an open door out he went. He escaped the night before our wedding and I spent most of it out looking for him no sign of him, went off got married came back home two days later there he was at the front door waiting for us.

The last time he got out he was gone 5 weeks we were heart broken out morning, afternoon and night, climbing walls to check sheds in back gardens. Went down one morning and there he was skinny and stinking.

Your cat will most likely be fine and will return home.

Advertisement