Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Mobile Phone Network in Ireland

• 24-07-2008 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Hey all, this has probably been done before but would be just interesting i think to see peoples opinions on this.

What is the best mobile network provider in Ireland? I know it's a loaded question as there are many different criteria to take into account, i.e. bill charges, mobile BB reliability, network quality etc but more on a high level view.

I've been with with 3 of the 4 except Meteor but of O2, 3 and Vodafone, i find Voda the best all round, although i do think i suffer from slightly more dropped calls with them but overall in other terms, cost ( free VF to VF calls etc ) find them the best

Who is the best Mobile Phone Network in Ireland 52 votes

Meteor
    0%
    44%
    voyagerthegamedavehey79mjquinnoFGRMimikyuandrewieSam VimesPyro Boychrisladmathewyrrag19747.RonaldoPG4000AlanstrainorJuJuYNWACantGetNoSleepgcgirlDeankPerfect fit 23 votes
    O2
    17%
    lawhecculabulajimmycrackcorm1huge1GarthTerrontressWalkmandrunkmonkeyMobile3 9 votes
    Vodafone
    38%
    atgatemuffinheadlong_befbccSullyR0otBob the BuilderartTJJPIronWolfcoldfire1xrebel.ranterDavymatchthisscruttocksCarol_1985bigtoebossdrumskapegoat 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

O2
    I'm going to say 3 beacuse you can do so much more with your mobile....02 number 2, then vodafone......meteor are not there just yet...but that can call all change......

drunkmonkey stumbles off to find a hard hat:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Meteor all the way for me!! In to my 2nd year with them and i find them brill!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I'm going to say 3 beacuse you can do so much more with your mobile....02 number 2, then vodafone......meteor are not there just yet...but that can call all change......

drunkmonkey stumbles off to find a hard hat:P

my list is yours but back to front :D

O2
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    my list is yours but back to front :D

What's the story fella?:D
    baba.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Vodafone
    o2,
    then voda,
    then meteor,
    then Three.

I must admit i have vested interests. as i work for a shop that deals in o2, but we also deal in three, and i hate three so much.

but tbh, after getting the job in the shop, i switched from voda to o2 and i am actually delighted..

does anyone else find that voda costs a lot of money? and imho, o2's offers of free texts to any network is much better than vodafone's "vf --> vf" only..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭voyager

I have been with all companies except tesco and 3, as for the rest, vodafone and o2 are 2 expensive for calls outside of any deals one might be on, and despite some people i know complaining about meteors reception and coverage i have to say i am with them a long time and never had any such trouble.

METEOR for me, all the way.

voyager :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I agree it's interesting to see what people have to say about their networks, but a poll with such a "loaded" question???
    It's so simple: every network is great, until they screw you, don't have the phone you fancy, and then another network is better... Add to that what people like to do on their phone, how much money they have to spend/waste, and the answers turn caleidoscopically esoteric...

O2 have the best prepay data rates - keep you really off the net ;)

and of course "best" can mean so many things. what's mainly good for me is really cheap calls and texts so i'm on meteor but i also want internet access so until this meteor 3g trial started i carried around a 3 phone with me just for the internet (yes i am a nerd) because to do it on meteor would bankrupt me

so "best" depends on what you're looking for

O2
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    and of course "best" can mean so many things.

so "best" depends on what you're looking for

Very True...

Best for customer service 02
    Best for content 3
    Best for cheap calls and texts Meteor
    Best for catchy adverts Vodafone

Would you agree Sam...?

Very True...

Best for customer service 02
    Best for content 3
    Best for cheap calls and texts Meteor
    Best for catchy adverts Vodafone

Would you agree Sam...?

yes i would :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Best for me: Vodafone
    1: Vodafone, I'm pretty loyal- best customer care, good offers, best coverage and no one can deny that, overall my favourite

2: Meteor, Cheap... Cheap... My next preference

3: 02, not a fan as the breaks in the websh*te(often out for maintanance), When you ring customer care you often have to wait almost ten minutes to speak to someone, bad customer care-yes their mannerly but asking for a handset to be blacklisted 3 times is a joke and waiting 2 months for a nokia unlock code is outragious, but good offers within the last year!

4: Three, okay just wasn't established enough when I was on them before!

But of course so many things come into considersation, friends on the same network, now vodafone are doing free any network texts I'm happy as punch!:D

O2
    Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Best for me: Vodafone
    1: Vodafone, I'm pretty loyal

You gold watch is in the post sir:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

O2
    Never had a problem with 3. Find the prices great, coverage perfect and services brilliant. Have had little dealings with customer care and in each case problems were small and easily resolved. Now looking at the SE C902. Anyone using it on 3 or any other network? Is it worth the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

O2
    Been with 3 for three years now and have saved so much money being with them and been able to get so much more from my phones etc.
    Dead cheap internet and great packages on pay monthly works perfect for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

You gold watch is in the post sir:D

nice one;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

O2
    Strange how the poll results reflect the operator market share.

I've been with all the operators but I vote Three the best because talking and texting it a miniscule part ofr what I use my phone for.

Now if it was customer service we were voting for then It would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dino72

I was with 3 from day one when they entered the Irish market. However, their prices and customer service weren't as good as I had expected so I changed back to Vodafone thinking they had good customer service. But they were very very expensive. Then the iPhone 3Gs became available with o2 with free landline calls and o2 to o2. That hooked me but it had to be on an 18 month contract.
    Now I see 3 are offering on their Ultimate Flex Max or their Thingymajiggy offer and for €95 inc VAT per month, you can call anyone on any line and not go over but again it's an 18month contract. But you also get a new iPhone 4. Has anyone else taken this offer and how are you finding it? Also what's the new iPhone 4 like? Have the 3GS and satisfied with it. Just finding O2 a bit expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Recently moved from o2 to meteor, mainly for the value of it but since moving I have found that meteors 3g isnt a patch on o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

mmm thats cause meteor started rolling out 3G ages after every one else did :) but their improving :)

though i find meteor internet faster than 3 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

I'm finding Meteor absolute cat at the moment. Their coverage keeps dropping & I picked up by Vodafaone-Meteor (!?) plus now it seems they're having mast trouble in our area. Their technical people as well are pretty stupid. Tried telling my wife she was having trouble cause she didn't have a new phone - her phone is 2 months old & not even released here in Ireland yet!

-10pts for Meteor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

squire23 wrote: »
    I'm finding Meteor absolute cat at the moment.

Cat = you HAVE to be from Waterford!!:D

I've been with 02 for around 10 years. Have Voda in Work. Much of a muchness really. Blackspots vary with either in Waterford City. But they're few and far between.

I am considering moving to Three for their offer of unlimited texts to any network and 200 mins of calls for €25 per month. Especially given 02s treatment of existing customer vs new ones (who were being given €150 to transfer recently)But the T & Cs are very confusing.

Hard to tell whether or not the offer continues past the 31st of December.

O2
    Freddie59 wrote: »

Hard to tell whether or not the offer continues past the 31st of December.

Could be better after december, christmas market usually sparks off a war between the networks. It's a very hard offer for the other networks to beat. There all afraid to offer free calls to any network, there all trying to keep you in the one box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

O2
    If you sign up before December the free texts are for the duration of the contract, although the free text promotion has been extended twice already so I wouldn't worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

why no tesco on the poll? i love them and as i have a braw in canada

it only costs 2 cents a min to call him:eek: i save a fortune. i stick 20 euro in a month and i can never spend it all, credit is always carried forwardand i now have about 50 e credit and its the end of the month.

only gripe is the non 3g service on non branded tesco mobiles. i can live with that though.

O2
    you can call landlines and mobiles in canada for 2cent on 3 as well, you just need to use http://gocall.ie/canada%20%28landline%20and%20mobile%29

btw, tesco is not a network it's an mvno

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

1.Tesco Mobile for their double top up offer:D
    2. 3 for content and best 3G network with more on offer than o2,voda
    3.o2 very realiable network no outages when i was with them
    4.Meteor signal sucks spluttery gob****3s
    5.vodafone complete fools i hate voda with a passion
    6.postfone no experiance with these yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

emo72 wrote: »
    why no tesco on the poll? i love them and as i have a braw in canada

it only costs 2 cents a min to call him:eek: i save a fortune. i stick 20 euro in a month and i can never spend it all, credit is always carried forwardand i now have about 50 e credit and its the end of the month.

only gripe is the non 3g service on non branded tesco mobiles. i can live with that though.

There is 3G on non brand phones although it drops out of coverage all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

VF, just for being able to use data abroad without being raped at bill time.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mickeypat

im moving back to ireland at xmas and was wondering which would be best for me,not interested in internet or anything fancy just calls and texts id say, what would i likely be paying a month for something like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement