Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best anti-virus freeware?

• 10-05-2007 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hi, at long last I've finally got around to connecting my new computer up to broadband - 512kps which is probably the best you can get in a rural area outside of an urban centre in NI.

From what little I know you're far more susceptible to viruses and attack with a broadband connection so I'm looking to download some good anti-virus software. I've also read that some of the free stuff is as good as Firefox and, being a cheapskate, I'll take this option please. So could anyone advise me on which of the programs listed in the freeware thread above is the best of the anti-virus programs?:confused:

Oh, my hard drive is only 40GB and I'm using Windows XP in case that effects what I'm capable of using.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

I find this pretty good: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

AVG:
    http://free.grisoft.org/

/edit: The Machine beat me to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Check the Essential Freeware sticky at the top of the forum. AVG, avast! or Anti-Vir all have free versions available and one of them will do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

Ruu wrote:
    Check the Essential Freeware sticky at the top of the forum. AVG, avast! or Anti-Vir all have free versions available and one of them will do the trick.
    I did, I just want some advice on which of the ones listed would be best. From the responses so far AVG will seemingly do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

I get the impression that you don't have good anti-spyware or a firewall either. So I recommend the following to ensure your pc to be safe in the future

* To reduce re-infection for malware in the future, I strongly recommend installing these free programs:
    SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX
    IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all

* SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.

* I recommend the following anti-spyware programs to protect yourself against spyware, make sure you only use one real-time anti-spyware protection program though :
    AVG anti-spyware
    Spybot - Search and Destroy
    Ad-Aware SE Personal

* Some good free firewalls are ZoneAlarm, Comodo, or
    Outpost
    Make sure you only use one firewall though. A tutorial on understanding and using firewalls may be found here.

* Here are some good anti-virusprograms, make sure you only use one though :
    AVG makes an excellent free antivirus client, as do AntiVir or avast!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

A firewall is just as important as anti-virus software. Check out Kerio and Zone Alarm freebies. Also install Spybot to limit spyware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

thanks for posting this helpful advice folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'd also recommend AVG - been using it for years with no trouble. Personally I'd prefer a decent router with a built-in firewall over a software firewall any day - ZoneAlarm et al may potentially offer a higher level of security but in the majority of cases they're not really needed and are mostly just an annoyance.

My recommendation for anti-spyware is just avoid IE at all costs. I use Opera as my main browser - that coupled with not looking at dodgy websites or downloading dodgy software means spyware is pretty much a non-issue for me.

Advertisement