Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Just a note :

No personal insults will be allowed in this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Just to add on the personal abuse. It will not be tolerated here. It does not matter if it is directed at a boards member or not.

All personal abuse will receive either an infraction or ban, it is at the mods discretion.

Also see Boards.ie rules of etiquette

Don't abuse people personally

It’s not big and it’s not clever. If you can’t convey your point without abusing someone personally then you don’t have a point to make and perhaps you should close your browser and come back when you are calmer. Not only will you have had the benefit of cooling off if something’s caused your blood to boil, you’re a lot more likely to make a far more incisive, killer point. The great joy of this platform is that you don’t have to answer something immediately; you have time to construct your point and de-construct any arguments against your point.You either are an adult or you are aspiring to become one. This isn’t a crèche and if we have had to invoke this rule to stop you from abusing someone, and you feel like we are treating you like a child, you might want to consider why that is.This site is for a wide variety of civil, adult discussion. Personally abusing someone is immature. Grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Ye of little faith , there is a brand new one here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056857548

It felt like one of my arms was cut off there for a while, on my way over now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Just a note :

No personal insults will be allowed in this forum

I am sure just like everyone else in Met Eireann, Gerry Murphy discussed with superiors before giving a forecast. He might put his slant on it but it surely would have the approval of his superiors. To blame one person is certainly not fair and who knows he could still be right. There is nothing certain about snow in Ireland.

We are starting to come into the reliable timeframe for the weekend so I think this warning this morning gives ample time for preparations to be made and outline the possible wintry risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Lets face it Ireland has a lot of moaners. If they said there will be a 30% chance of snow 70% chance of rain at the weekend, people would complain saying sure they don't have a clue what is going to happen. Followed by pfff I don't listen to them anyway then not listen to the weather until next Monday, where in if it did snow, say they never told us about this.

If you depend on the weather for your work, then check in at least once either to the 6:55 or 9:30 weather and check the website. You can't plan an event in a weeks time based on current weather guidance, and expect to get the exact weather that was forecast a week ago all the while never checking any new forecast to see that the outlook has changed dramatically and on the day complain they never told me.

Weather is changeable even over the course of a day, but in general 24 hours out they will be fairly accurate, but a system moving a few miles in a different direction can be the difference in what weather we get or not get.

Also the last time I checked it was winter, in winter we get cold, snow, milder periods, heavy rain, windstorms. So you should prepare for any of these and expect in any given week that we might experience any of those conditions during winter.

Final point, don't blame the messenger, as that's all they are, as far as I am aware they don't control the weather in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Slept out this morning, thanks to Evelyn for the alarm call doing the weather forecast on RTE1 this morning her lovely soft voice mentioned snow, I was out of the bed like a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm always jumping to the defence of Met Eireann here as I believe in general they do an excellent job however I have to say Gerry's forecast last night was very poor.

Nothing major has changed in 12 hours in terms of the information available yet we have gone from a forecast at 21:30 last night where he didn't even give a risk of sleet or snow to a total different forecast by Evelyn at 07:55 this morning and they have now issued a weather warning! Very Strange

Villain wrote: »
    I'm always jumping to the defence of Met Eireann here as I believe in general they do an excellent job however I have to say Gerry's forecast last night was very poor.

Nothing major has changed in 12 hours in terms of the information available yet we have gone from a forecast at 21:30 last night where he didn't even give a risk of sleet or snow to a total different forecast by Evelyn at 07:55 this morning and they have now issued a weather warning! Very Stange

I truly believe he was at the end of his shift and just thought it was to late in the evening to be bothered! Harsh maybe but it was a call that could be made based on reliable information that there is a "Risk" over the weekend for significant wintry conditions.

Forewarned is forearmed !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just seen the latest forecast with Audrey mc grath, she said snowfall for ulster tomorrow.
    I do find their system quite lacking in detail compared to the bbc precipitation charts which shows a differentiation between snow and rain, met eireann just have a drawn cloud with precipitation falling out of it which is rather vague and almost childlike.
    She then went on to mention wet snow, so its rather confusing as to what to expect tomorrow.
    Also I think they should have a warning system for regions similar to the met office uks, more visual stimulus is needed on screen,but of course at times Audrey is all the visual stimulus I need .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Nothing major has changed in 12 hours in terms of the information available yet we have gone from a forecast at 21:30 last night where he didn't even give a risk of sleet or snow to a total different forecast by Evelyn at 07:55 this morning and they have now issued a weather warning! Very Strange
    I agree totally,surely the risk of sleet at least had to be mentioned for the mountains or something,i said this last night and was put down because of it,ffs there was snow already at Sally Gap and the fact that there was very cold weather all around us and we are 1-2c either side of snow for the next 5 days at least didn't warrant a mention,whilst at the same time last night their own website had sleet and snow mentioned 5-6 times and now has this warning (nobody expected him to forecast blizzards but what the forecast gave out was a bit unbelievable:confused:) :
    Issued at 17 January 2013 - 11:06
    Weather Advisory

Very heavy rain will spread into parts of Munster and Connacht on Thursday and will spread eastwards during the afternoon and evening. There will be some heavy falls with a risk of localised flooding in parts of Munster and Leinster.

The rain will be accompanied by strong to near gale force and gusty southeasterly winds.

There is a risk that the rain will turn to sleet and snow later on Thursday night and towards dawn. Parts of north Leinster and Ulster will be most at risk, with further snowfall during Friday with accumulations mostly on higher ground.

Staying very cold on Saturday for much of the country with a further threat of wintry showers. Very cold, frosty and icy at times

Valid from: 11:00 17th Jan 2013

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

A lot changed, models updated during the night firming up on detail nearer the event. The public have plenty notice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

dopolahpec wrote: »
    A lot changed, models updated during the night firming up on detail nearer the event. The public have plenty notice.

Yes.....but.....ECM came out about 3 hours before his 9.30pm broadcast/forecast.

Time will tell, but he could still be proved right!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Very Little changed, they updated their forecast before 6am online, I didn't expect Gerry to go as far as Evelyn did but he should have mentioned risk imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

I still thinks he mistakenly used the Oz instead of the 12z. .

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yes.....but.....ECM came out about 3 hours before his 9.30pm broadcast/forecast.

Or he could be proven even more wrong! :D

But wrong or not, a broadcast went out last night when the overwhelming evidence had pointed to a wintry set up over the weekend!

DOCARCH wrote: »

without being here to defend himself...perhaps his superiors stated look we will see what the models overnight show and if there is a need to warn the public which they have now done. I am sure Gerry was aware of the updated data but the final decision was not his. I doubt such a professional organisation would have one man making a call on a forecast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

without being here to defend himself...perhaps his superiors stated look we will see what the models overnight show and if there is a need to warn the public which they have now done. I am sure Gerry was aware of the updated data but the final decision was not his. I doubt such a professional organisation would have one man making a call on a forecast!

This could well be the case. Maybe their best forecaster hasn't got a face for TV and is kept locked in a dungeon and fed fish heads.

Will the first person I want to see and hear say snow is Jean, that's the "dream" I have been having anyways!

Rougies wrote: »
    This could well be the case. Maybe their best forecaster hasn't got a face for TV and is kept locked in a dungeon and fed fish heads.

i presume like the UK met office there is a chief who doesn't go on tv giving forecasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

i presume like the UK met office there is a chief who doesn't go on tv giving forecasts?

Could be the same in met eireann, I'm not sure to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Gerald Fleming is the head of forecasting at the moment. The amount of input he has in the TV forecast I don't know, but he would be the main spokesperson in the event of a big weather situation. So there is no one forecaster making the calls, just not sure who decides the output of the TV forecast.

There is a huge team working up there some other old names are still there but just not on TV like the Eagle :)

People seem to forget that they also produce all the aviation and marine forecasts. Irish air space and marine traffic is very busy with the trans-Atlantic routes so this is a vital aspect of what they do.

The people you see on TV just happen to be from Met Eireann sometimes, but on RTE2 and at Lunchtime,they are just presenters that read from scripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Spindle wrote: »
    People seem to forget that they also produce all the aviation and marine forecasts. Irish air space and marine traffic is very busy with the trans-Atlantic routes so this is a vital aspect of what they do.

Don't you know it's all about will it snow in my back yard season :rolleyes:
    Watch this place become an extension of After Hours over the weekend :(
    Dublin great, Cork useless, my snow is better than your type posts. Basically a Foghorn-Leghorn-icon.pngmeasuring competition :mad:

Met Eireann where's my snow etc etc

Met eireann forecast is still vague for tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pangea wrote: »
    Met eireann forecast is still vague for tomorrow

Gerry Murphy mentioned sleet and wet snow for later tonight/tomorrow over northern 3rd of country. Snow mostly over high ground, which would mean any snow lower down would probably be of that big wet variety and hardly something to get worked up about.

Gerry Murphy mentioned sleet and wet snow for later tonight/tomorrow over northern 3rd of country. Snow mostly over high ground, which would mean any snow lower down would probably be of that big wet variety and hardly something to get worked up about.

Would that be your opinion of whats going to happen too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pangea wrote: »
    Would that be your opinion of whats going to happen too?

Trust me, you don't really want to hear my opinion :P

Trust me, you don't really want to hear my opinion :P

NUsfZ.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Gerry said snow! Holy ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Well I'll be god damned Gerry said snow!!

• Advertisement

Up to 24cms in hills in the NI forecast, 'snow on higher ground' Gerry says

Advertisement