Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind and Rain Warnings : Sat 13 / Mon 15 April 2019

• 12-04-2019 6:45pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Becoming windy and wet enough in places to warrant its own thread. The fine spell coming to an abrupt halt for now mainly for those in the Western half of the country. Worth keeping an eye on rainfall totals especially as heavy rain expected Monday again especially in the SW and S.

UCK88Mh.png

Qcqe7CY.png

Updated the warnings as from Sunday 11.12:

hkVlITM.png

Status Orange - Rainfall warning for Cork and Waterford
    In the 48 hour period from Saturday evening to Monday evening, a spell of heavy rain through Saturday night and Sunday followed by a second spell of heavy rain later on Sunday night and Monday will give large rainfall amounts.

Flooding and hazardous driving conditions in many areas. Rainfall amounts will be highest along the south coast and in mountainous areas.

Valid: Saturday 13 April 2019 18:00 to Monday 15 April 2019 18:00

Issued: Saturday 13 April 2019 17:00

Updated: Saturday 13 April 2019 17:00

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Kilkenny, Wexford, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary
    Heavy rain Sunday night and Monday will bring a risk of spot flooding, especially in southern parts of these counties.

Valid: Sunday 14 April 2019 18:00 to Monday 15 April 2019 18:00

Issued: Sunday 14 April 2019 10:00

Updated: Sunday 14 April 2019 10:00

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Cork and Kerry
    Strong and gusty southeast winds expected during the period. Means speeds of 50 to 65kmh with gusts of 90 to 110km/h, strongest in coastal areas and about high ground.

Valid: Monday 15 April 2019 02:00 to Monday 15 April 2019 19:00

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo, Clare, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford
    Strong and gusty southeast winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 60kmh with gusts of up to 100km/h possible, strongest about high ground.

Valid: Monday 15 April 2019 05:00 to Monday 15 April 2019 17:00

iJ7ychD.png

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

EURO 4 12Z

Becoming quite blustery tomorrow across the country especially in coastal counties, will feel it all the more as coming from a not so usual steady SE'ly direction.

Feeling cold in the wind especially in onshore coastal counties.

Ac8KIKR.gif

NOWaVVq.gif

axtgcaT.png

arpegeuk-43-25-0_uuv2.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Euro 4 going for very high rainfall totals in S Cork

bNi3duJ.gif

ECM 12Z

Xtp7KqN.png

Including the projected rainfall totals up until early tues to show the potential for high rainfall totals along Kerry, Cork and Waterford and the risk of flooding perhaps.

O6Q9sdD.gif

arpegeuk-25-52-0_ell4.png

HIRLAM showing quite high totals

anim_wpe9.gif

hirlamuk-25-48-0_nxn9.png

The WRF-NMM , usually conservative enough showing fairly strong sustained SE'ly winds for Kerry tomorrow. People would want to be careful on mountains.

Gusts

anim_lwm5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭giveitholly

If this was happening in the midst of winter could we be talking about snow from these systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This crept in out here as I was sleeping and thus did not nail things down... Y'day was breezy but now.. stuff flying all over the path and garden.

was thinking as i watered the vast array of seedlings y'day afternoon that we needed rain, but seems we will again get excess.

west mayo offshore paradise

• Advertisement

Strong winds here in Kerry this morning with a 10 min avg of 42 km/h and gusting close to 80 km/h

Models in fair agreement of the rainfall potential up until 18.00 Sunday. Showing heavier rain on latest runs for the W.

n9YV8si.png

c04asoI.png

arpegeuk-25-40-0_qxu8.png

nmmuk-25-40-0_bpr2.png

iconeu_uk1-25-34-0_eke9.png

South East is the most damaging here. Rarer than the other directions so less protection. I have just been outside rescuing boxes of trays of seedlings as they are in the worst of it. It would blow you over easily. west mayo offshore windtunnel

Similar wind charts to the previous runs for today. In general gusting 70 to 80 km/h overland with up to around 90 km/h near coasts and high ground I would think.

XVOH6Bf.png

8VSYYdC.png

anim_vtc4.gif

anim_cpu1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I've been preparing to raise my new 14ft x 25ft massively reinforced poly tunnel this week. Luckily I saw this coming, thanks to the Boards experts, so I have only completed the groundwork. Just gone outside to put the tools away and we have had a tree come down in that gust 30 mins ago, must be the direction. Anyway its currently just resting on the power lines, its really strange because its really not that bad out, just a gust from a rare direction.

I have a brand new chainsaw..:)

600 ft ASL Macgillycuddy Reeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Getting quite gusty now in cork city, can hear the wind hitting the house and coming down the chimney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

My dad wants to go outside and cut trees down today. He is 73 and is determined to go up the ladder with the chainsaw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I've been preparing to raise my new 14ft x 25ft massively reinforced poly tunnel this week. Luckily I saw this coming, thanks to the Boards experts, so I have only completed the groundwork. Just gone outside to put the tools away and we have had a tree come down in that gust 30 mins ago, must be the direction. Anyway its currently just resting on the power lines, its really strange because its really not that bad out, just a gust from a rare direction.

I have a brand new chainsaw..:)

600 ft ASL Macgillycuddy Reeks

I hope you're not considering going near it with a chainsaw while its resting on LIVE powerlines

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

My dad wants to go outside and cut trees down today. He is 73 and is determined to go up the ladder with the chainsaw...
    Loony tunes, get him sectioned i say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭highdef

What is about people and their urge to cut down trees when it's very windy out??? Is it some sort of perverted pleasure gained by the risk of injury and/or death?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

highdef wrote: »
    What is about people and their urge to cut down trees when it's very windy out??? Is it some sort of perverted pleasure gained by the risk of injury and/or death?

Pervert here !

You assumed too much, no I am looking forward to cutting all that firewood. I will ask the esb to do the dangerous stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The real danger is padlocks falling from the sky

20p5udd.jpg

The rain has started here, sideways of course and from met.ie looks set for the next 24 hours.. west mayo offshore ark

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Pervert here !

You assumed too much, no I am looking forward to cutting all that firewood. I will ask the esb to do the dangerous stuff.

"Do not climb a tree which is growing close to overhead electricity wires. ... If you notice an electricity wire on the ground because a tree has fallen on it, or perhaps a tree leaning across an overhead electricity wire, do not approach. Phone ESB Networks' Emergency number 1850 372 999 (24/7)."

please...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

South East winds always a potent force in my Waterford City location. I would class today as the windiest day of the year so far. Regular gusts in the 60km/h range with a Max of 65km/h. Temp 9.1c but feeling a lot colder in the wind.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

South East winds always a potent force in my Waterford City location. I would class today as the windiest day of the year so far. Regular gusts in the 60km/h range with a Max of 65km/h. Temp 9.1c but feeling a lot colder in the wind.

www.waterfordweather.com

60 miles to your north,also exposed to the SE but only gusting to 48kmh
    Theres a bite in it despite the beautiful day otherwise
    It might take a while but theres a fair risk the rain will eventually reach Arklow, it should at least get into south wexford

Loony tunes, get him sectioned i say :D

In the end he fell asleep in the rocking chair after lunch and it is now raining :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

In the end he fell asleep in the rocking chair after lunch and it is now raining :D

A relief to all concerned, I'd imagine. :)

Comhra wrote: »
    A relief to all concerned, I'd imagine. :)

...and just as I post that he has gone outside for a recce :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm meant to be playing 36 holes in Athlone tomorrow. Is this gonna fall as continuous rain or it will be showers where I might have the off chance of some dryness in between ?

Status Orange - Rainfall warning for Cork and Waterford
    In the 48 hour period from Saturday evening to Monday evening, a spell of heavy rain through Saturday night and Sunday followed by a second spell of heavy rain later on Sunday night and Monday will give large rainfall amounts.

Flooding and hazardous driving conditions in many areas. Rainfall amounts will be highest along the south coast and in mountainous areas.

Valid: Saturday 13 April 2019 18:00 to Monday 15 April 2019 18:00

Issued: Saturday 13 April 2019 17:00

Updated: Saturday 13 April 2019 17:00

Cork and Waterford up to a Orange level

Mod Note: Thanks SleetAndSnow , I have updated and extended the title and warning .

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭smokie72

At least it's a great day for drying out the clothes here in Dublin!

Strong gusts of wind down here too

...and just as I post that he has gone outside for a recce :pac:

Update: 60kmh winds and we cut down 15 copper beech to a height of 10ft. Ladders and a chainsaw involved. God help me :pac:

• Advertisement

Latest Euro 4 showing predicted Rainfall Accumulations up until Monday 13.00

snu5pLs.gif

2WRkgZc.png

iesppcE.png

Advertisement